U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 08:11 PM

2,758 posts, read 682,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
"own up to where it was coming from"?
Google's lead listing for that story is for CNN, how did you miss it?
I plugged the quote into Google and the first listing was Breitbart. I looked at the article and it looked like it was the exact same, thus the source of this particular quote. If other articles have the same exact text, that’s one thing.

Anyways, I was referencing the need to provide the link where a quote came from foremost, not necessarily the story itself. Maybe it was an oversight and left out, but this poster likes to quote a lot from Breitbart, one site with a definite bias (there are others on the left, too), so it was...curious that the link for quote source was left out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 08:19 PM

11,908 posts, read 14,386,346 times
I'm sure there is a qualifier: If the GOP tax plan passes.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:20 PM

18,125 posts, read 16,654,923 times
Most of those will be part time jobs. Isn't that what Conservatives said about the job numbers while Obama was President and the real number was about 20%?

Old 11-24-2017, 08:29 PM

4,774 posts, read 1,880,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Great news, but I think companies should be encouraged to hire and train younger workers. Older workers are already mostly secure and paying them more money would be nest-egg feathering

I actually think this comes up aces for Trump. Unlike in 1969, the labor participation rate is depressed, so the unemployment rate can be below the natural rate for some time as people are coaxed back into the labor market. Will make for great headlines.
SOme companies already pair up younger guys with older experienced men. My company will hire a kid out of McDonalds and start from scratch. The guy I work with now is an ex drug addict who was a sell rat at some outdoor sports place selling fishing tackle for minimum wage. He's actually becoming a good mechanic. Better than his fishing that's for sure. Blew $1000 so far this year traveling and buying gear and hotels. The one salmon he's caught so far is a pretty expensive one.

I keep threatening to tell his wife. It keeps him in line.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:01 AM

13,874 posts, read 4,113,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The Wall Street investment bank says the unemployment rate is likely to fall to 3.5 percent by the end of 2019. In a report issued last week, Goldman’s economists predicted that unemployment would keep falling because of increasing optimism helped along by tax cuts. Wage growth should also pick up, the bank said.

“Such a scenario would take the U.S. labor market into territory almost never seen outside of a major wartime mobilization. The U.S. would have undergone a transformation from the “weakest labor market in postwar U.S. history” in the early years of the Obama administration to “one of the tightest.”

Goldman sees U.S. growth in the next couple of years as the highest among developed nations.

Companies should be encouraged to hire older American workers who have lots of experience and a great work ethic but won't necessarily price themselves out of the market.
Only becuase trump is giving all the GS people goverment jobs.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:12 AM

5,476 posts, read 2,319,049 times
Aren't these statistics fake? Isn't that what Donald Dumbo kept saying when he was a candidate?

As the CNN Money article stated citing the GS report:

Quote:
It's a remarkable transformation given the millions of jobs lost and 10% unemployment experienced in the aftermath of the Great Recession.
And if any Trumpist bothers to click the link below they will find the transformation occurred under the Obama Administration. See the chart.

So, Pilgrim Progress, I expect your next thread to be, Thank you, Obama!

Goldman Sachs: Unemployment will drop to lowest since 1969 - Nov. 21, 2017

171120131302-chart-unemployment-2017-780x439.jpg

Last edited by TreeBeard; 11-25-2017 at 06:35 AM..

Old 11-25-2017, 06:27 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,394,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Most of those will be part time jobs. Isn't that what Conservatives said about the job numbers while Obama was President and the real number was about 20%?
Don't ever forget the other line about how, even though the unemployment numbers looked great, millions of people took themselves OUT of the labor force and weren't counted. I wonder if that particular theory still holds true today?

Old 11-25-2017, 09:08 AM

58,520 posts, read 31,917,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The Wall Street investment bank says the unemployment rate is likely to fall to 3.5 percent by the end of 2019. In a report issued last week, Goldman’s economists predicted that unemployment would keep falling because of increasing optimism helped along by tax cuts. Wage growth should also pick up, the bank said.

“Such a scenario would take the U.S. labor market into territory almost never seen outside of a major wartime mobilization. The U.S. would have undergone a transformation from the “weakest labor market in postwar U.S. history” in the early years of the Obama administration to “one of the tightest.”

Goldman sees U.S. growth in the next couple of years as the highest among developed nations.

Companies should be encouraged to hire older American workers who have lots of experience and a great work ethic but won't necessarily price themselves out of the market.
The Labor Force Participation rate is pretty far from looking good.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:09 AM

58,520 posts, read 31,917,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Breitbart

No wonder the OP didn't want to attach a link.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:21 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,751,787 times
How about if Goldman Sachs falls to lowest level since 1969?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or