U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 11:25 PM

2,410 posts, read 627,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Just an exercise in alternate history here--how likely was an invasion of Iraq to happen under a Gore presidency? It seems pretty likely that 9/11 or something like it would have occurred under the Gore presidency, but do you think it would have expanded to an additional war in Iraq under Gore?
Good question. Back then, it would have been my first election I could legally vote in. I was a Gore supporter, since I really never understood Bush Sr's obsession with Iraq. The second Bush Jr won, first thing I told my family and friends, watch us get back into Iraq somehow. Sadly, I was right.

But now, looking back, I think they are all in cahoots with eachother. Everyone wants to blame Obama for the ACA, but correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the ACA based on Mitt Romney's Massachusetts state healthcare plan, and he would have passed the same bill if he was elected. Kind of like how Obama chastised Hillary during the 2008 primaries about Nafta, but then did nothing about it the whole time he was in office... Kind of like what is happening to Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 11:26 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,053,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
While it is possible Gore would prefer to do things the way BO and Hillary did it might not have been possible.

explain......look at Gore's votes in the house and Senate and he supported NAFTA as Senator then later as V.P.....He is a globalist and globalists supports endless wars and endless occupations and the world order.

Gore always supported nation-building and avoided isolation and you don't do that without a strong military.

Progressive Internationalism: globalize with US pre-eminence. Gore supported vigorous intervention abroad.

that was before 9/11////if 9/11 would have happened under his watch he would have become more globalist and more interventionist than what he already was pre-9/11.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:37 PM

404 posts, read 201,000 times
For the last 100 years (+/- one year) democrats have led the U.S. into more major wars than the republicans WITH far greater loss of American lives and they are;

A) World War One: President Wilson
B) World War Two: President Roosevelt
C) Korean War: President Truman
D) Vietnam War: President Kennedy/President Johnson

As for the republicans, the major wars they have gotten us into are;

A) Desert Shield/Storm: President Bush Sr.
B) Global War on Terrorism: President Bush Jr.

I'm not counting all the Banana Republic Wars, the U.S. Intervention into Russia during the their Communist Revolution, the Berlin Crisis, the Dominian Republic Crisis, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Granada Invasion or the Panama Invasion since these were basically limited actions lasting a few weeks to a few months.

Anyway, to play your game, I believe Gore would have invaded Iraq if he was President, after a 9/11 style attack. To me, the bigger question would be, "would a President Gore also attack and/or invade Iran as well??" It's way to easy to judge things after the fact since there is now far more information available than it was back in 2001 and 2003.

To play your game a little further, knowing what we now know, do you think President Kennedy and President Johnson would have went to war in Vietnam? I don't think so, but since they didn't have a crystal ball to see into the future, they thought it was a just cause to stop the spread of Communism (Russia and China) during the Cold War. What if President Truman allowed General MacArthur to wage total war against North Korea and China during the Korean War... Would we now be dealing with that fat kid with a bad haircut and his nuclear missiles threatening peace in NE Asia??

A fact. Most of the SENIOR democrat leadership supported both the military operations in Afghanistan and in Iraq, but later acquired a case of memory loss.... Both Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi denied that they agreed to any military operations in Iraq UNTIL the CIA informed them that they were recorded as being on record supporting military action against Iraq.

I really don't care for historical "what ifs" since it's basically BS since you are viewing actions with far more Intel than what was available at the time a decision was made... "What if" Germany won World War One, would there have been a World War Two? If Germany was a global super power and calling all the shots, would the Middle East be as screwed up as it is today? If Germany was a global superpower, would a "9/11" style attack taken place in Berlin or Frankfurt instead of New York City?? Would a heavy handed German/Turkey alliance in the Middle East have change things in the early/mid 20th century and shaped things for the 21st century?? I don't know.... Just as I don't know for a fact that a President Gore would have invaded Iraq or not.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:18 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,053,826 times
in the 2000 elections, Gore was for nation building and intervention and W Bush wasn't.

after 9/11, it made W Bush become an interventionist and for nation building....the same Gore would have done if 9/11 happened under his watch.

to say Gore would go from an interventionist and for nation building before 9/11 to and isolationist if 9/11 happened under his watch is just being naive and ignoring the real Al Gore.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:43 AM

2,421 posts, read 1,325,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
in the 2000 elections, Gore was for nation building and intervention and W Bush wasn't.

after 9/11, it made W Bush become an interventionist and for nation building....the same Gore would have done if 9/11 happened under his watch.

to say Gore would go from an interventionist and for nation building before 9/11 to and isolationist if 9/11 happened under his watch is just being naive and ignoring the real Al Gore.
Apparently there are no nuances in your world. We are all isolationists or big stick wielding interventionists.

It is entirely possible for Gore (or any other politician) to be for being engaged in world affairs and OPPOSED to the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:55 AM

412 posts, read 147,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
did you make that up?

the establishment swamp in D.C. wanted regime change in Iraq for various reasons that have to do with Geo-politics.....Gore like Bush is a globalist......there is a reason Biden, Hillary, Edwards, Kerry and the Democrat establishment voted for the war....Gore is establishment.
If "globalists" all want the same wars, why didn't Bush invade Iran or North Korea?

Old 11-25-2017, 03:05 AM

5,466 posts, read 2,308,781 times
Not a chance in hell Gore would have invaded Iraq. Gore was against that War. Any other opinion is just desperation from the anti-Gore crowd to justify their wrong vote for W.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:55 AM

412 posts, read 147,606 times
Gore believed that the American military should act alongside our European allies while Bush believed that the American military should act unilaterally.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:10 AM

30,088 posts, read 15,651,256 times
Quote:
Just an exercise in alternate history here--how likely was an invasion of Iraq to happen under a Gore presidency? It seems pretty likely that 9/11 or something like it would have occurred under the Gore presidency, but do you think it would have expanded to an additional war in Iraq under Gore?
There is no doubt that 9/11 would have happened under Gore, had he won, because the plans for 9/11 had already been in work long before. It wasn't just dreamed up over that short period of time after the election. We know this because of the PDB (President's Daily Briefing) that had been issued to President Clinton, a copy of which had been delivered to Bush early in 2001, which warned that terrorists were planning on using commercial aircraft, flying them into skyscrapers, as weapons of mass destruction. We also learned after 9/11 that the terrorist "pilots" had been learning to fly commercial aircraft here in the U.S. (but they weren't interested in learning how to land, we were told). It is highly likely that the date of 9/11/2001 had already been set (the date, 9/11 having some significance to terrorists).

Difficult to speculate on what Gore's reaction would have been, and is, frankly, pointless.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:48 AM

15,901 posts, read 10,954,801 times
Quote:
Can't help but wonder if we would have gone into Iraq if Lincoln was president.

Hopefully gore would have invaded Iran instead of Iraq.

More than likely Gore would have declared war on air conditioning in response to the trade towers falling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or