U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 12:47 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,799,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So it sounds like if you had your way, TV would be nothing but reruns of 'Father Knows Best' and the 'Ed Sullivan' show, spiced with all Baptist preachers on Sunday?
After that, there were family shows that also tackled difficult issues, like Family Ties, Different Strokes, etc. Even Little House on the Prairie had an episode about child rape. Different Strokes had an episode about a pedophile that showed the guy's tactics as he tried to seduce the little boy. Uncomfortable issues were depicted gently without going full Jerry Springer or PC crazy as we now do.

I think now we would have the little boy turn into a super hero transgender zombie robot and pound the pedophile to dust, but it really doesn't work that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 12:50 PM

12,089 posts, read 5,661,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
After that, there were family shows that also tackled difficult issues, like Family Ties, Different Strokes, etc. Even Little House on the Prairie had an episode about child rape. Different Strokes had an episode about a pedophile that showed the guy's tactics as he tried to seduce the little boy. Uncomfortable issues were depicted gently without going full Jerry Springer or PC crazy as we now do.

I think now we would have the little boy turn into a super hero transgender zombie robot and pound the pedophile to dust, but it really doesn't work that way.
You know why they depicted things like that in a "gentle" way? Because back then those things were NOT talked about out loud in society. Kudos to shows that DID take a chance & talk about it, whether in a gentle way or in your face way.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:56 PM

9,862 posts, read 7,720,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I see this also. The powers that be want to destroy morality, faith in God ,and the personal values of every person. They want to replace decency with their much lower moral standards on the masses to gain control of them. Control is their goal. Today good is bad, bad is good. Today it is cool to be bad ,but who gains from being a degenerate? Society suffers and we see the fruit of it daily. People feeding on crude foul examples of human behavior on tv and the movies does have an impact on a person and their own behavior. You are what you feed on.
It is so easy to sit at our computers and blame the godless others.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 663,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You know why they depicted things like that in a "gentle" way? Because back then those things were NOT talked about out loud in society. Kudos to shows that DID take a chance & talk about it, whether in a gentle way or in your face way.
Funny, it was always the comedies back then that tackled the heavy issues that seemed to have a more impact on my psyche than a regular drama. Wonder Years, I was supposed to feel sorry for Winnie when she finds out her brother was killed in Vietnam, but it was Growing Pains when Carol finds out her boyfriend lost his second chance from his drunk driving that hit harder.....

Old 11-25-2017, 01:26 PM

1,017 posts, read 183,874 times
Quote:
I see this also. The powers that be want to destroy morality, faith in God ,and the personal values of every person. They want to replace decency with their much lower moral standards on the masses to gain control of them. Control is their goal. Today good is bad, bad is good. Today it is cool to be bad ,but who gains from being a degenerate? Society suffers and we see the fruit of it daily. People feeding on crude foul examples of human behavior on tv and the movies does have an impact on a person and their own behavior. You are what you feed on.
Reminds me of this quote:
“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.”

What people see on tv are pretenses and lies. When people used to watch "fairy tales" and read the bible as opposed to "reality tv" this things had a positive effort in people's relationships. People can't see this.

I don't know what you mean by "refine", but I rarely meet a person who is not obsessed with economic progress, they arrange their whole life around this one goal; truth, knowledge, morality, dignity, righteousness is not even secondary, just meaningless.

As for control, it is an individual matter. One has to consciously leave the rat race, and stop vowing to science or serving the economy (that of the few).

Old 11-25-2017, 01:38 PM

54,543 posts, read 38,510,596 times
Quote:

Define 'decency'.

Is it bombing the crap out of countries that have done nothing to us?

Is it building other countries while ignoring our own?

Is it so called leaders who run scams like bogus universities?

Just what is this mythical decency you speak of?

And just WHO should be allowed to set the definition of 'morality'? The hypocrites who claim to value life yet deem murdering a doctor performing abortions acceptable?

Old 11-25-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I am big fan on old movies and can help to notice the difference in behavior btw the old society vs the new one. What in your opinion has caused that?

What reason is there to believe the behavior in old movies was any truer to life than behavior in new movies?

Old 11-25-2017, 01:56 PM

9,862 posts, read 7,720,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Define 'decency'.

Is it bombing the crap out of countries that have done nothing to us?

Is it building other countries while ignoring our own?

Is it so called leaders who run scams like bogus universities?

Just what is this mythical decency you speak of?

And just WHO should be allowed to set the definition of 'morality'? The hypocrites who claim to value life yet deem murdering a doctor performing abortions acceptable?

Old 11-25-2017, 02:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 1,403,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I am big fan on old movies and can help to notice the difference in behavior btw the old society vs the new one. What in your opinion has caused that?
Fascinating question, but too broad. Do you intend the question to cover etiquette, ethics, gender roles, the so-called sexual liberation, language, etc.?

In fact, you should even define what you mean by "old" movies. I've seen people here who think 1970s movies are "old."

Old 11-25-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
+1 OP is right. Good topic. I see it too. I have to wonder if people are influenced by what they see on TV whether they admit it or not. Particularly children whom TV has become their babysitter. If this weren't true, brainwashing techniques wouldn't be so effective.

I have been following the Weinstein scandal since it started. Based on recent articles a side effect is now the Hollywood big wigs are starting to become reflective and think about their message.

There are few movies that you can sit and watch with your grandparents that were made recently. One fairly recent one that comes to mind is "The Notebook". It's played over and over on various networks. Some networks want to promote a family values message and there isn't much out there. They seem to have no choice but to take the few movies that are made and put them on repeat. Shows me there is a market for it.

Too bad the same cannot be said of Washington bigwigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or