U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 03:32 PM

54,223 posts, read 38,295,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Nah, now we just call it abortion.

Hyperbole just never goes out of style, does it?

Too bad it often hold little substance.

Last edited by burdell; 11-25-2017 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 03:35 PM

44,662 posts, read 43,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
True, but in my youth classless behavior wasn't admired, let alone celebrated.
I don't know. It depends on what that classlessness was. Last I checked, in places like Mississippi, lynchings were taking place up to the 1960s, and it was looked at as if the victim "had it coming". Smoking inside of buildings was done alot back in the old days. We know now it's harmful.

The world was always a horrible place.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:36 PM

4,768 posts, read 1,879,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Movies are a fantasy. Truth is, there was just as much classless behavior then as there is now.
I agree. Look at our media today. It has next to nothing to do with reality. What we saw then is just as distorted as today for the most part. I do think some elements of civil society have changed or left us and it's for the worst but it has always been with us in one way or another.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:37 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,496,168 times
I cannot wait for Planet Earth to collapse upon itself, and it seems like it's getting sooner and sooner. I'll be pissed if I miss it.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:37 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,506,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It's more than a bit ironic the cons here are blaming in part modern media for today's moral ills, while also waxing nostalgic about the past, when that past they are idealizing had an even tighter concentration of media power than now. 50 years ago you had the big 3 TV networks (plus a token nod to PBS) that controlled basically all the news shown on TV. Even radio (particularly national news) was largely controlled by the same 3 or 4 entities. You also had newspapers but with the exception of a few of them (NY Times, Washington Post, pretty much the same as today) they focused more on local news, and the national news they did print tended to be the same stuff everybody else printed.

50 years ago there was no Fox News or Breitbart. Is that what the cons want to return to?
I'm not a "Con" but sure, absolutely! 50 years ago you didn't have opinionaters giving the news with their spin, it was basic hard news and you really didn't know which way the reporter politically leaned.

There is NO such thing as hard news anymore, it's all opinion colored "news" written by the teleprompter writer and steeped in political bias.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:42 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,506,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Old movies are entertainment, pure & simple. These are the same folks who gave us Fatty Arbuckle, Errol Flynn, Rock Hudson & a slew of other actors & wanna-bees. Some were talented, some were not. As someone else pointed out, entertainments are not usually documentaries - which have an entirely different purpose. Entertainment is meant to take your money, put it together with the money from lots of other audience members, & make more movies, presumably in the same vein.

The old movies had a code of ethics - things they could show or not on screen. Most of the studios observed the code - in order to have a market for their entertainments. The behavior on screen was constrained by the expectations of the audience - someone who behaved in a thuggish manner in the movie was expected to meet a bad end, & usually did.

Virtue was rewarded, the good guy got the girl, & the cowboy hugged his horse & rode off into the sunset. It was the best of all possible worlds, & if not, the ugly stuff wound up on the cutting-room floor. It was largely make-believe, & if you dissented, you had to provide your own evidence. The mass media of the day were unlikely to help you rain on anyone's parade. That wasn't their job, & it would hurt the circulation & the advertisers.
Today the good guy gets shot,tortured and then killed and the cowboy? Well, he still hugs his horse after he's "rode" it but not off into the sunset...

Old 11-25-2017, 03:57 PM

44,662 posts, read 43,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I agree. Look at our media today. It has next to nothing to do with reality. What we saw then is just as distorted as today for the most part. I do think some elements of civil society have changed or left us and it's for the worst but it has always been with us in one way or another.
The crap has always been there, with a few differences. Some things has gotten worse, while some things have gotten better.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:05 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,599,298 times
I remember the moral of the story in some of the fifties family shows like leave it to Beaver. In real life Hugh Beaumont who played Ward Cleaver was a minister. That religious commitment came through in his acting.

It's like a group of people with no special love of American tradition or common decency seized control of the various jobs in the American media at all levels.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:05 PM

5,611 posts, read 1,676,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm not a "Con" but sure, absolutely! 50 years ago you didn't have opinionaters giving the news with their spin, it was basic hard news and you really didn't know which way the reporter politically leaned.

There is NO such thing as hard news anymore, it's all opinion colored "news" written by the teleprompter writer and steeped in political bias.
I think one of the problems is the emergence of all-day, all-news cable channels in the 70's and 80's.

Back in the days of Walter Cronkite the national news was 15 minutes or a half hour, and that was it. You pretty much were forced to be as concise and to-the-point as possible just to be able to get as much news out as you possibly could. But with all-day formats you've got all the time in the world to say whatever you want, which inevitably led to lots of editorializing and "color" commentary, specials (with whatever biases) and so on just to fill all that air time.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:07 PM

29,879 posts, read 15,241,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I am big fan on old movies and can help to notice the difference in behavior btw the old society vs the new one. What in your opinion has caused that?
Film makers have changed their aesthetic and become more realistic, and so we're comparing the ideal depicted in old movies with the depiction closer to reality preferred in modern film making, and ideals look better than reality every single time. You may as well hold today's photojournalism up against Norman Rockwell paintings.

In reality, we're now in a real world where violent husbands go to prison, where black and white people can use the same restaurant and where Jews who wish to join a country club aren't told they're welcome as long as they don't use the swimming pool. That's progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or