U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:31 PM

2,667 posts, read 972,606 times

Advertisements

I haven't had much luck in terms of finding articles that delve into the evidence presented in this case. Does anyone have anything they can post here?

Just from a surface level reading, I would say that there should've been reasonable doubt to bring this down from murder-1. However, like I said, I don't know all the evidence that was considered, nor have I read the relevant Tennessee criminal statutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 04:39 PM

1,303 posts, read 245,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
IMHO, Cynotia Brown is guilty. I can't comment on the terms of sentencing, which is what it seems the petition is addressing.

Let's say person "A" wants to run away from home. "A" doesn't have a license to operate a motor vehicle.

Person "P" (pimp) borrows a car to person "A" so they can effect their escape.

While driving at the proper rate of speed, and breaking no traffic laws other than being an unlicensed operator, person "A" enters an intersection. Person "CV" (criminal victim) runs a red light, T boning "A" in an intersection. "CV" is DOA because of their own reckless behavior.

"A" is still held responsible, as they were not legally licensed to be in the middle of the intersection to begin with. Person "P" is likely to be found equally responsible for providing the means for "A" to commit the crime. "CV" is the hapless dimwit that got more than was bargained for when running the red light.

There are no innocent parties in this scenario.

The sentencing should be handled as per the laws of the local state or municipality, dictate. I don't believe petitions, or societal pressure from outsiders should have anything to do with any of it.

CN
In your scenario, person A, if not recklessly driving or under the influence, is not responsible for the death of person CV. Person CV is responsible for his own death as he ran the light. Person A did not cause the accident and is guilty of driving without a license. A misdemeanor.

Ask any illegal immigrant who is driving with a fake or no license and becomes involved in an accident. NEVER EVER EVER are they charged with murder in such a case when the victim dies if they didn't actually cause the accident.

I thought this was about a 16-year-old girl who shot a John?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I haven't had much luck in terms of finding articles that delve into the evidence presented in this case. Does anyone have anything they can post here?

Just from a surface level reading, I would say that there should've been reasonable doubt to bring this down from murder-1. However, like I said, I don't know all the evidence that was considered, nor have I read the relevant Tennessee criminal statutes.
You'll find more info when you do a search using "court transcripts" and "appeals":

https://law.justia.com/cases/tenness...deniseopn.html

https://tncourts.gov/sites/default/f...adeniseopn.pdf

https://www.newsweek.com/prosecutor-...er-case-720324

Hope these help everyone looking for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Sex trafficking is tragic, but it doesn't give you a license to murder. However, I do despise when a person murders at least 2 people and they get a slap on the wrist.
I agree. And those who allow 4 heros to die as well.

I also despise billionaires who have sex parties with little girls on their private islands and get away with it. I would say the Clintons got to the judge before Bill could be implicated in that one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.8925c5ea1906

Last edited by Originalist; 12-11-2018 at 05:14 PM..

Old 12-11-2018, 04:50 PM

4,209 posts, read 823,033 times
Sex trafficking is tragic, but it doesn't give you a license to murder. However, I do despise when a person murders at least 2 people and they get a slap on the wrist.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:24 PM

2,667 posts, read 972,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
In your scenario, person A, if not recklessly driving or under the influence, is not responsible for the death of person CV. Person CV is responsible for his own death as he ran the light. Person A did not cause the accident and is guilty of driving without a license. A misdemeanor.

Ask any illegal immigrant who is driving with a fake or no license and becomes involved in an accident. NEVER EVER EVER are they charged with murder in such a case when the victim dies if they didn't actually cause the accident.

I thought this was about a 16-year-old girl who shot a John?

You'll find more info when you do a search using "court transcripts" and "appeals":

https://law.justia.com/cases/tenness...deniseopn.html

https://tncourts.gov/sites/default/f...adeniseopn.pdf

https://www.newsweek.com/prosecutor-...er-case-720324

Hope these help everyone looking for more info.

I agree. And those who allow 4 heros to die as well.

I also despise billionaires who have sex parties with little girls on their private islands and get away with it. I would say the Clintons got to the judge before Bill could be implicated in that one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.8925c5ea1906

I appreciate the links. After having some time to review them (I couldn't read the entire transcripts in depth due to time/boredom), it still seems to me that her conviction and sentencing were excessive. 1st degree murder requires premeditation. At a minimum I'd say there's reasonable doubt in that regard.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:35 PM

15,423 posts, read 13,423,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I appreciate the links. After having some time to review them (I couldn't read the entire transcripts in depth due to time/boredom), it still seems to me that her conviction and sentencing were excessive. 1st degree murder requires premeditation. At a minimum I'd say there's reasonable doubt in that regard.
So you think someone should not be sentenced as she did for murder? Oh yes, she has a robbery added on also.

Exactly what punishment do you think she should have gotten for murdering then robbing a person?

Old 12-12-2018, 07:11 PM

687 posts, read 202,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So you think someone should not be sentenced as she did for murder? Oh yes, she has a robbery added on also.

Exactly what punishment do you think she should have gotten for murdering then robbing a person?
When one of the prosecutors quits being a prosecutor because of this case, I think it says alot about the injustice of the system and this particular case. Murder isnt murder if its self defense. Maybe she should get a medal instead.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:15 PM

15,423 posts, read 13,423,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
When one of the prosecutors quits being a prosecutor because of this case, I think it says alot about the injustice of the system and this particular case. Murder isnt murder if its self defense. Maybe she should get a medal instead.
Please demonstrate this was self defense. And please demonstrate how robbing a person afterwards is self defense. She shot him while he was sleeping, that is not self defense. She robbed him after she shot him, that is also not self defense.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 PM

22,392 posts, read 11,530,756 times
The victim was shot in the back of the head. I’d say I got to agree with the jury at their point.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:41 PM

10,567 posts, read 4,369,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Is this another story of how the poor kids get lost in the system while rich kids like Brock Turner keep getting free passes?
Brock Turner? You mean the middle class white teenager who went to a party, got drunk, hooked up with the drunk-off-her-ass older sister of a fellow student and, because she passed out, got accused of sexual assault and sentenced to six months in jail, three years probation, national media vilification and a lifetime as a registered sex offender, that Brock Turner?

Old 12-12-2018, 08:58 PM

27,187 posts, read 17,514,782 times
16 y.o. hooker murders her john, steals his money, property and (IIRC) guns and goes back to her pimp. Seems like a pretty clear case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies