U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 12:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 2,187,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
What's confusing? In over half the states, because you've already passed the background check to receive a concealed carry license, a dealer is not required to call in a NICS check when you purchase a firearm. A half million people in Texas with concealed carry permits could have purchased a firearm last Friday and it wouldn't be included in the "record" 200,000+ number of NICS checks mentioned in the first post. The article mentions it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I live in Alabama, I have a CCP...I show my CCP when I buy a gun...fill out the 4473 and walk out....no waiting, they don't even have to call....they just file the paperwork....internal...
LOL not my confusion. That's the gun grabbers reactions to that being pointed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 12:45 PM

33,993 posts, read 18,479,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL not my confusion. That's the gun grabbers reactions to that being pointed out.

lol...

Old 11-28-2017, 04:21 PM

1,623 posts, read 825,757 times
I wish I would of had the money to buy a firearm over the Black Friday weekend; but alas, I was not able to do so; in fact, I had some un-expected bills come up; and had to sell off some of my firearms to the local Gun Store.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:03 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,221,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Any rifle that has less than an 16 inch barrel...is considered a pistol.
Well, not exactly. If it has a stock. It is a short barreled rifle. That requires a 200 dollar stamp and approval from the ATF. You must be thinking of a rifle caliber pistol without a stock usually built on the AR15 platform also popular on the AK47 family platform.

But what I said is "What the heck is an assault pistol (or handgun)"?

No such animal exists.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:07 PM

33,993 posts, read 18,479,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Well, not exactly. If it has a stock. It is a short barreled rifle. That requires a 200 dollar stamp and approval from the ATF. You must be thinking of a rifle caliber pistol without a stock usually built on the AR15 platform also popular on the AK47 family platform.

But what I said is "What the heck is an assault pistol (or handgun)"?

No such animal exists.
Yes, you are correct,......yet you still need tax stamp as you stated....

I should have stated that, if it has a pistol grip and a barrel that is -16......

Old 11-28-2017, 06:09 PM

17,083 posts, read 8,717,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No they're not, even without suicide and gang violence the amount of people shot to death in the USA is shamefully high! Besides why discount gang violence? It still results in people being shot to death, weird argument you have.
It is NOT the gun's fault. It is the CRIMINAL gang member's fault. Don't do bad drug deals, and you likely won't get shot, EVER. Duh!

Old 11-28-2017, 06:15 PM

22,917 posts, read 12,214,029 times
This is a sad statement about how people feel living in the 'land of the free'.

The day I need a gun to feel 'free and safe' -- I'm moving.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:42 PM

3,278 posts, read 2,292,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I take it you've never been to a range that rents full autos out and witnessed the ear to ear smiles induced via full auto...

Why do you have such an issue with anyone's pursuits of happiness?
If THAT is what makes people happy, well, ok. I'm merely asking why they feel the way they do, is all. I'm trying to understand their mindset is all. No need to be defensive or triggered.
Just like for me, a day of cycling, or hiking out in nature, getting a good workout with my soulmate, on a warm day, or rescuing animals in need bring happiness to me. I'm pretty sure most normal people could somewhat understand why that does. I can't understand why blasting inanimate objects or animals with bullets brings such happiness to some individuals.
Also- this is not just directed at you, but: once and for all, I FREELY ADMIT I ONCE OWNED A GUN WHEN I LIVED IN TULSA!! I OWNED one for defense, obeyed all safety measures and laws, learned to be a responsible, competent gun owner, who prayed to never have to use it except for practice. I never sprayed my shorts in glee when shooting targets, nor did I secretly hope to be able to shoot anyone, unlike many here, so I was merely trying to get insight into why some DO? Sorry if that puts anyone on the defensive enough to stalk my past posts and leave ANOTHER anonymous snide rep comment.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 2,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
If THAT is what makes people happy, well, ok. I'm merely asking why they feel the way they do, is all. I'm trying to understand their mindset is all. No need to be defensive or triggered.
Just like for me, a day of cycling, or hiking out in nature, getting a good workout with my soulmate, on a warm day, or rescuing animals in need bring happiness to me. I'm pretty sure most normal people could somewhat understand why that does. I can't understand why blasting inanimate objects or animals with bullets brings such happiness to some individuals.
Also- this is not just directed at you, but: once and for all, I FREELY ADMIT I ONCE OWNED A GUN WHEN I LIVED IN TULSA!! I OWNED one for defense, obeyed all safety measures and laws, learned to be a responsible, competent gun owner, who prayed to never have to use it except for practice. I never sprayed my shorts in glee when shooting targets, nor did I secretly hope to be able to shoot anyone, unlike many here, so I was merely trying to get insight into why some DO? Sorry if that puts anyone on the defensive enough to stalk my past posts and leave ANOTHER anonymous snide rep comment.
Here's the thing...

I could explain it to you, I can't understand it for you. If I have to explain it. You're not going to understand it.

We all have different values hobbies etc.

You're into the lovey dovey crap. I'm not. I've got a girlfriend. She's like a buddy in cute chick form. We like the same things. Except.
1. Until ACA is dead and gone, I don't want to get married. I don't want to have kids.
She does. Someday.

2. I like my independence. I like not answering to anyone. I like not having to live to someone's expectations or to someone's guidelines rules etc.
The moment I have to "make plans" nah. I do what I want. When I want. How I want.
She wants to spend more time with me.

3. I know it's not going to be long term. She thinks the world of me. I see her more as a partner in crime. An attractive partner in crime
That whole white picket fence two rug rats black lab/golden retriever? Nah not for me.
For her. She wants that, I can tell, within the next 5 years.

Commitment issue? Nope.

I commit myself to whatever is fun and makes money to supply the fun. Never missed a day of work in my life even with fevers sore throat screwed up back.
If sick I'd wear a respirator for undercoating cars not to infect others. Back feel like someone whacked me across the back with a baseball bat. Take the pain ignore it. Had metal in my eye, that didn't stop me from finishing out my day. Vacations? Only used 1 when my father was dying. Could I have taken a different career? One that pays significantly better? Sure, can I sit at a desk and do board room meetings? No. Suits aren't me, and I can't sit still.

Relationships always were a distraction from that.

you always work!
we only see each other on weekends!
you spend more time in that garage than you do your own bed with me!
don't complain. Last I checked that fancy dress coach bag you wanted, and all the bills were paid and that weekend trip to where ever was on my dime. Didn't hear you ***** then. Sorry no money tree in my back yard.

My form of fun.
Racing stock cars or anything with an engine (except crotch rockets uncomfortable and can not stand high pitch whine from the exhaust)
Building engines. Building guns. Shooting guns. Snowboarding. Snowmobiling. No snow in Florida so jetskis will suffice. No place to ride quads near me. Setting off fireworks. They're legal here. No more going to PA or new Hampshire to sneak them back to NY. Relationships served as a distraction from that.

I figure... if none of the life threatening adrenaline inducing high-speed activities I've engaged in kill me and haven't killed me yet... I have.... at most... realistically 40 to 50 years left in me. I'll make the most of those years every day, don't think for one second though I'm going to forfeit that to some scumbag who lacks the ambition or skills to get off their dead ass and go make it happen for themselves, come take it from me. (Or a self anointed liberal tell me I can't it's wrong etc)

Think you're going to steal one of my trucks? Nope.
Think you're going to harm anyone I care about? Nope.
Think you're breaking in my house to loot? Nope.
Think I'll stand idly by and watch you slaughter someone else or a group of people en masse? And besmirch law abiding gun owners and instill fear onto the feeble and weak to push for legislation? Nope.
I will go to any means to prevent that from happening or stop it while it's in progress.

If that is secretly hoping or fantasizing about killing anyone, you're wrong.

As far as shooting animals goes... I have no qualms shooting deer, turkey, wild hogs. In NY deer were a pest. They can do alot of damage to crops. And cars. They taste good and are very healthy to consume.
Wild hogs. They're another nuisance animal, was it 2 or 3 weekends ago? My girlfriend and I went out and shot a bunch of them. They yielded alot of meat.
Turkey mmmnomnom.
I'd give large game like elk a shot. Have 338 lapua will travel.

If it's loud. Fast. Dangerous. Gets the adrenaline flowing. Chances are I've done it. Or plan to. Sky diving piqued my interests. That Redbull airplane racing looks like fun too.

I don't even know you. You could move in next door, but you'd probably complain about the loud exhaust. But if someone were to break into your house and I hear you scream

Florida state law
766.013 part D Deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.

That scumbag is going to get it. No different than the bullies that picked on the nerds/dorks in my highschool. 1 hand washed the other. I protected them. They helped me with math. I brought their anti social sit at home and play video games until wee hours of the morning, to some pretty epic parties. (Benefits of growing up in the sticks with 1200 undeveloped acres a handful of friends 21 and up to get me the booze and beer and friends bringing pallets for bon fires) picture dudes who were socially awkward. Wind up playing tonsil hockey with some of the best looking girls we went to school with.

Some of those dorks. Became engineers. Lawyers. One handles my investments. 1 hand washes the other.

I don't value subhuman life forms that don't value others rights to life liberty and pursuits of happiness. I've got a bone to pick with liberals who believe they're anointed to dictate to others what needs and pursuits of happiness are/should be, as according to them (it's a superiority complex). Or draft boogey men to use as a crutch to excuse others failures to throw a card to try to avoid honest debate. (Different story)

Old 11-28-2017, 09:23 PM

17,083 posts, read 8,717,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This is a sad statement about how people feel living in the 'land of the free'.

The day I need a gun to feel 'free and safe' -- I'm moving.
I live in one of the safest areas around, in an affluent suburb, and I don't need a gun to feel safe, but I do have them. However, I doubt my house will burn down, but I still carry Homeowners Insurance. The land of the free has nothing to do with crime, however it does give us freedom to defend ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies