Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 07:54 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Diversity only leads to more problems. When you are around other unlike yourself, it creates tension. People naturally self segregate.
Not where I’m at. My friends are of different races, and mixed-races too.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:06 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,523,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Look, man, ask all of the white people who fled Detroit, and Cleveland, and Newark, and the Bronx, and Miami, and most of Los Angeles, and etc., etc., etc., when those place became more "diverse." It's an old tale, and as widespread as all get-out.
Big Lou, you are citing references of white flight in now poor black neighborhoods, "diversity" does not necessarily mean this. I am specifically talking diversity in the the workplace, please read my previous three posts, I'm talking professional environments. Diversity doesn't specifically mean "poor minorities moved in so now all the white people left." So again, how is diversity bad thing?

People keep mentioning "ANTI WHITE RHETORIC", who is saying this? No one is, people for some reason feel attacked!!!

This thread should be relabeled, "why is my country changing in demographics?"

Old 12-09-2017, 10:09 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
60 years ago, African Americans weren't even allowed to use the same restrooms or drinking fountains as Caucasians in many parts of the country.

Sounds like they were getting along great back then, huh?
Old news. Where's this going?

Old 12-09-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblenotdouble View Post
Diversity in the workplace? It brings new cultural norms which you must then respect and get use to. This takes focus off actual work being done. We can use something as simple as bringing women into a male dominated environment. Now these males must watch what they say in order to not offend the women. There can be unfair bias occurring because of sexual attraction or even sexual contact. Must acknowledge paternity leave.
OH DEAR GOD, now there are woman in the work place and military, get over it bro, what a true blue SNOWFLAKE!!!.

Paternity leave in California has been great for me, my four kids ='s 24 weeks total paid time off (6 weeks a piece), 24 more unpaid thanks to FMLA.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 PM

^^ I must clarify, it is not about the money. I actually get to watch my beautiful kids grow in their first year of life and I appreciate that about the 24 weeks of paternity leave I have taken to date.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Hahah I'm showing you examples. You can't ask such a broad question and then act shocked when examples are provided.
The thread is about as generic and broad as can be. "I don't like diversity because in my day in Maine, we didn't care where you were from." does that even mean?

Everyone who has responded to my specific posts has come across as white guys who are afraid the demographics are changing, I appreciate their honesty but don't agree with their views. Diversity does not mean white flight in my eyes.

Quote:
Diversity isn't necessarily skin color or gender.
I agree with this ^^. Let's keep discussing.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-11-2017 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: language

Old 12-10-2017, 09:13 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agreed.

Just clarifying that some of the 'thinnest' of the thinly veiled coded language comes from the Koch brothers, the Mercer family, et al, along with their libertarian lapdog apologists; it's ridiculous.

Fr'instance the nonsensical "natural coexistence" schtick is based on punctured mythologies. Additionally, that coded language is coincidentally similar to the concept of "spontaneous order" BS touted by the Koch brothers-funded Cato Institute as "the great insight of libertarian social analysis.”

Cui Bono?
It isn't so much the "libertarians" I'm hearing this from. It is the far-right types I hear this crap from. In some cases, libertarianism is closer to classic liberalism. I've noticed in my life that those who speak of "natural coexistence" aren't really true libertarians. They are often far-right types acting under the guise of libertarianism, at least that is the case where I live. Alot of the thinly veiled language is used to get those who otherwise won't agree with them to agree with them.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:19 AM

19 posts, read 21,871 times
Diversity means 1995 Honda Civics with fart can mufflers racing around your neighborhood.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:51 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It isn't so much the "libertarians" I'm hearing this from. It is the far-right types I hear this crap from. In some cases, libertarianism is closer to classic liberalism. I've noticed in my life that those who speak of "natural coexistence" aren't really true libertarians. They are often far-right types acting under the guise of libertarianism, at least that is the case where I live. Alot of the thinly veiled language is used to get those who otherwise won't agree with them to agree with them.
Wholeheartedly agree it's 'crap' based on mythologies, essentially driven by a FUD campaign (fear, uncertainty & doubt).

American libertarianism, as opposed to the rest of the world, is often closer to 'free market fundamentalist' doctrine & is fantasy or faith-based, in other words, not based on reality or on 'past performance', & solely based on axiomatic & absolutist ideological systems of belief. This whole piece describes pretty well & succinctly, a few clips:

Quote:
The free market is the idea that the economy works best when the government interferes as little as possible. This concept was first espoused and explained by economist Adam Smith, based on Enlightenment ideals posited by classical liberals in the 18th and 19th centuries, but is more embraced by conservatives and doctrinaire libertarians in the 20th and 21st.

"Free market fundamentalism" is the term sometimes given to a strain of libertarianism that proposes that government can do no right when it comes to commerce, and that market pressure will weed out any bad products or corrupt businesses (the term used is laissez-faire, translating from the French approximately as "let it happen"). Liberals have largely abandoned laissez-faire capitalism as a dead end, believing the idea to be too easily abused by the amoral and dishonest.

It's worth noting that Adam Smith's works, like other texts invoked by fundamentalists, are rarely read in their entirety by those who expound the doctrine they think it outlines. Smith did see a place for governmental regulation in a healthy marketplace. ...
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Free_market

Old 12-10-2017, 11:43 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
The thread is about as generic and broad as can be. "I don't like diversity because in my day in Maine, we didn't care where you were from." What the f*ck does that even mean?

Everyone who has responded to my specific posts has come across as white guys who are afraid the demographics are changing, I appreciate their honesty but don't agree with their views. Diversity does not mean white flight in my eyes.

I agree with this ^^. Let's keep discussing.

Excellent point! But wasn't there a black female diversity officer at a major American corporation that stated something similar and got rode out of town on a rail?
Seems like in America these days you need to bash white people; hate yourself if white, pander condescendingly to women, minorities, Muslims, illegals all while telling everyone within earshot just how awesome, strong, empowered they are, while at the same time patting them on the head and just assuming ALL of these empowered, strong, kick-azz groups need the self hating white limousine liberals to speak FOR them, as opposed to just listening to them and supporting them.
I mean for the love of God, can't people just follow the Golden Rule? Or at the very least, 86 the idiocy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies