Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,382,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
That's exactly what it is, the same battle that Galileo had to fight. On the one hand you have the Aristotelian thinkers saying "I think for myself," and "I use common sense" who think whatever seems intuitively to be true must be correct. If they stick their nose outside their door and its cold, that does it; we're in for an ice age. Then you have the adherents to the scientific method who say forget what you think must be correct, investigate and go with the results. Who would have predicted that a return to the Dark Ages would be among the opening events of the 21st Century?

And your point is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 02:28 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,365,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
And your point is?

Exactly what I posted.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:33 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,917,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Ahh, so this is the disconnect.
Some of you equate science with magic.
It depends, if you call science ignoring divergence in data results, cherry picking data to bolster a hypothesis or amplify and outcome, ignoring, insulting and chastising valid objections to methods applied and a refusal to apply proper due diligence within that research. Then I would say yes, I equate your opinion of science as magic. That or just playing politics, you can pick.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM

15 posts, read 17,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I agree. But I also believe that what's happening was going to happen regardless--whether humans inhabited this planet or not. We don't help with how careless we are, but still.
I agree, even if there is no problem it would improve the quality of life for the Chinese, and others, who have to breathe the filth we put in the air each day

Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,296,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgconroy View Post
I agree, even if there is no problem it would improve the quality of life for the Chinese, and others, who have to breathe the filth we put in the air each day

I think you have it backwards...

Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,886,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I for one am not going to worry about global warming any more than I worried about peak oil in 1982, Y2K, AIDS affecting everybody, Ebola, or the supposed demise of the American economy. Rather than worrying about those things I am going to try to make the most expedicious decisions I can based on economics and my personal goals for the future. (Some of my personal goals is for a better community in which I live--just because the goals are personal doesn't mean that they are all greedy--but some are.
AIDS has not (yet) become a global pandemic with a 90% mortality index because in 198? the GMHC mobilized and awareness put millions of at risk citizens on warning. The ozone layer has not recovered but if Flourocarbons had not been banned outright ~20 years ago it would be gone now. If computer programs had not been re-written they would now be inoperable because of Y2K. It didn't shut down the computing infrastructure because the responsible entities heeded the warning. Ebola? Try drug resistant TB, Streptococcus or drug resistant Salmonella. They are out there. To say that people were wrong about any of these threats because they didn't end the world is to fail to fully acknowledge the power of action. If no one had done anything about any of the crises noted above they would have been catastrophes. Peak Oil is a certainty it is only the when that is in doubt. How can anyone predict with certainty when something like oil will be depleted to critical levels? Global Warming is likewise impossible to predict with certainty.

I won't fault you for failing to alter any of your lifestyle choices but to claim that because other predictions have been wrong gives anyone the emotional ammunition to behave selfishly well that I will at least point out is misguided. Misguided because those predictions were not wrong. The calamities failed to occur because people listened. Not you and I. If it were up to most of you here we'd still be using aerosol cans and freon in refrigerators but when the right people listen all the BS stops and things get done. What we need is for the right people to get it about Climate Change so that it won't be up to people like you and I who can't agree on whether or not it is Warming or Cooling and does it matter.

H

Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,365,224 times
Quote:
The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human.
---Aldous Huxley

Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,836,395 times
Quote:
I'm sure you must be aware given the accuracy and intelligence of this post - china is the world's biggest polluter - remember the filth in the sky during the Olympics? Put there by China, not the US.

I'm sure it was just an oversight on your part.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Since everyone is posting pictures, I figured I would as well (though a little more relevant to the topic).

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this picture? Would readings be colder or warmer in this case? Another wooden nickle for those who can point out the relevance of this picture in and how it concerns Antarctica. I am sure the self proclaimed intelligent people will have a comment on it, or not, I guess it depends on if their talking point site has prepped them for it.
How come he has a toy car on his shovel?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
BERMUDA TRIANGLE SECRET
There is nothing unusual happening in the Bermuda triangle. If you study the data you see that the Bermuda triangle is no more, and no less likely to have disappearances, crashes, shipping accidents, or cloud formations that look like ships or airplanes than anywhere else in the world.

The stuff about the Bermuda triangle is a mis-reading of statistics --- just like the stuff about anthropogenic global warming. It just ain't accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies