U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-28-2017, 05:08 AM
 
29,539 posts, read 15,487,988 times
Reputation: 20064

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Such a crazy plan that it is difficult to see how this is anything but the GOP "dancing with the guys that brung them."
Have your state raise the state taxes on big business and the wealthy to make up the difference, and use those tax dollars in your state. Wouldn't this be advantageous to your state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2017, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,717 posts, read 11,578,112 times
Reputation: 5613
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Have your state raise the state taxes on big business and the wealthy to make up the difference, and use those tax dollars in your state. Wouldn't this be advantageous to your state?
Cop out answer.

None of that would negate the awful results that this bill would produce. It still would raise taxes on the middle class and blow up the deficit -- even if the states taxed the rich to make up for their federal tax reductions.

What supporters of this bill have neglected to explain is what is the benefit of this bill and why it should be passed?
  • It lowers taxes on the wealthy
  • It raises taxes on the middle class
  • It adds trillions to the debt
  • There is almost no economic benefits -- and some say it will result in negative economic benefits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Long Island
33,103 posts, read 13,972,929 times
Reputation: 7059
This tax bill is in big trouble, I don't see how they get this passed before winter recess in anything close to its present form. Now they are talking about putting safety brakes in to change the structure if the economy doesn't take off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,717 posts, read 11,578,112 times
Reputation: 5613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This tax bill is in big trouble, I don't see how they get this passed before winter recess in anything close to its present form. Now they are talking about putting safety brakes in to change the structure if the economy doesn't take off.
These people need training wheels not safety brakes.

The problem is that if too many changes are made it may raise the deficit estimate, which will not allow them to pass it under reconciliation, without Democratic involvement -- can't have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 07:15 AM
 
29,539 posts, read 15,487,988 times
Reputation: 20064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Cop out answer.

None of that would negate the awful results that this bill would produce. It still would raise taxes on the middle class and blow up the deficit -- even if the states taxed the rich to make up for their federal tax reductions.

What supporters of this bill have neglected to explain is what is the benefit of this bill and why it should be passed?
  • It lowers taxes on the wealthy
  • It raises taxes on the middle class
  • It adds trillions to the debt
  • There is almost no economic benefits -- and some say it will result in negative economic benefits
Then I'll doesn't address everything, but is a step in the right direction.

As to your concerns:

1. The wealthy pay too much.
2. The middle class should vote for less spending of tax dollars which translates to less tax dollars needed.
3. Cut spending.
4. In a global market, we need lower business and investment taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Reputation: 11734
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Then I'll doesn't address everything, but is a step in the right direction.

As to your concerns:

1. The wealthy pay too much.
2. The middle class should vote for less spending of tax dollars which translates to less tax dollars needed.
3. Cut spending.
4. In a global market, we need lower business and investment taxes.
Why do you want to protect the Globalists so badly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 07:28 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,564,926 times
Reputation: 15493
I love all the hand wringing and screaming about how the debt is going to be raised but some/many of these same people were freaking silent as a church mouse when the last administration DOUBLED the debt.

As for the current issue, have both tax plans (House and Senate) been reconciled yet? Is there in fact ONE plan or are we still waiting for the Senate plan to be voted on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 07:33 AM
 
15,406 posts, read 5,239,505 times
Reputation: 5918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I ran a very middle class tax calculation. Average homeowner couple making $110,000 joint income with a (former) write-off of real estate taxes will have about a $2,000 Tax INCREASE if this plan goes through.
Leave it to the GOP to rob the poor and give to the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 07:56 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,564,926 times
Reputation: 15493
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Leave it to the GOP to rob the poor and give to the rich.
Can't anyone spouting off answer the basic question "is what you're all worked up about the final plan or just the Senate plan" that has yet to be merged with the House plan?

I guess that must be too hard a question or, if answered would deflate all the hyperbole...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Reputation: 11734
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Can't anyone spouting off answer the basic question "is what you're all worked up about the final plan or just the Senate plan" that has yet to be merged with the House plan?

I guess that must be too hard a question or, if answered would deflate all the hyperbole...
Is it too hard to do your own research and then come back and write: "There isn't even a 'final plan' in place yet"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top