Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 03:56 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Even if she were actually 1/32 Native American, it's a lie to say that you are Native American when applying for a job or a school.

"Woman of color?"

There's a huge difference between having some fraction of Native American ancestry and actually being a Native American.
Did you bother to actually read the article that you quoted from? Not that you took the time to link to it, but it was easy enough to find and explicitly stated that Warren DID NOT get the job based on any claims of Native American heritage.

Quote:
Elizabeth Warren has pushed back hard on questions about a Harvard Crimson piece in 1996 that described her as Native American, saying she had no idea the school where she taught law was billing her that way and saying it never came up during her hiring a year earlier, which others have backed up.
https://www.politico.com/blogs/burns...f-color-123526

Old 11-27-2017, 03:57 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Even if she were actually 1/32 Native American, it's a lie to say that you are Native American when applying for a job or a school.

"Woman of color?"

There's a huge difference between having some fraction of Native American ancestry and actually being a Native American.
Back in the Jim Crow days, one drop of Negro blood meant you were Negro. Just as in Oklahoma. My sil father never told anyone he was 1/2 NA.

Warren checked a box about her interest after she was hired as a teacher at Harvard. The form was for employees to locate people who had the same interest.

She never used the NA designation to gain entry to any school or job. The people who hired her said the subject never came up.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:57 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Trump's apologists have run aground on this one. What a loser dumb ass. Talking down to people is bad enough but then to bring in something not even relevant as a political dig in front of people he should be honoring is unforgivable. The man has to go and the sooner the better.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:06 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

I agree with you.

And I wouldn't care if he never used her actual name, and only called her Fauxcahontas or Liawatha...but not Pocahontas. However, I do think both monikers have more 'oompf per use' when used SPARINGLY.

I also think that he only harmed himself by making reference to her at this particular event.
He *does* reference her frequently, doesn't he?

Somebody should explain to him that, in so doing, he is according her a level of importance she otherwise does not merit in any way.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:07 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Did you bother to actually read the article that you quoted from? Not that you took the time to link to it, but it was easy enough to find and explicitly stated that Warren DID NOT get the job based on any claims of Native American heritage.

https://www.politico.com/blogs/burns...f-color-123526
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/warren-...ican-ancestry/

(CBS News) After more than a month of scrutiny surrounding Elizabeth Warren's past claims to Native American lineage, the Democratic Massachusetts Senate candidate on Thursday acknowledged for the first time that she had told several employers about her purported Cherokee heritage.

Previously, Warren had said she had been unaware that Harvard Law School touted her as a Native American employee during her tenure there.

"As I have confirmed before, I let people know about my Native American heritage in a national directory of law school personnel," Warren said in the statement. "At some point after I was hired by them, I also provided that information to the University of Pennsylvania (her employer before Harvard) and Harvard. My Native American heritage is part of who I am, I'm proud of it and I have been open about it."

Old 11-27-2017, 04:08 PM

This ceremony was about NA who served on the front lines in the Pacific. The Japanese could not decipher the Navaho language.

POTUS Donald Trump is incapable of handling a serious ceremony or occasion.. He always screws it up by making it about himself.

IMO, it is just another way for him to start another chit storm about nothing. Makes me wonder what he's cooking up today behind closed doors.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:08 PM

274 posts, read 237,431 times
In this situation, it doesn't matter what Elizabeth Warren did or didn't do. Bringing her up was wrong, even if he didn't call her by a nickname he meant to be insulting. This was the time to honor service to our country, not make nasty remarks about people he doesn't like.

Honestly, I don't get how his supporters never seem to acknowledge that Trump makes mistakes. It scares me actually.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:11 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
He continues to denigrate the office each and every day by constantly acting like an a$$.

I don't think he's acting.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:12 PM

[quote=texan2yankee;50239841]https://www.cbsnews.com/news/warren-...ican-ancestry/

(CBS News) After more than a month of scrutiny surrounding Elizabeth Warren's past claims to Native American lineage, the Democratic Massachusetts Senate candidate on Thursday acknowledged for the first time that she had told several employers about her purported Cherokee heritage.

Previously, Warren had said she had been unaware that Harvard Law School touted her as a Native American employee during her tenure there.[/QUOTE

Did she confess to using NA heritage in order to get the job, or in the interview?

I still think like most of us, it was family lore and she believed it. I believed what my momma and granny told me.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:13 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I know, right? Looks like zero time, thoughts, and effort went into this event, they just threw something together. I felt so bad for these distinguished men, they deserve better than that.
They do. They absolutely do. We all do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies