Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:00 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times

Advertisements

So is this the vision of a perfect America the left pictures? How's that progressivism working for the residents of Portland?

Quote:
Columbia Sportswear may be the next business to flee downtown Portland after a series of frightening encounters with the city's homeless population, including car break-ins, human waste dumped by the office's front door and threats to its employees.

Since moving the 50 employees downtown, workers immediately reported being harassed and threatened by homeless individuals near the new offices.
Columbia Sportswear may close Portland office over death threats, public defecation by homeless people | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 04:23 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Liberals only pretend to care about the homeless, but they really can't stand them either. Deep down they know people generally don't become homeless through no fault of their own, discounting mental illness. They are usually drunks, addicts, made horrible choices concerning BFs/GFs/wives/husband's or simply ****ed away 13 years of free.education.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:31 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So is this the vision of a perfect America the left pictures? How's that progressivism working for the residents of Portland?

Columbia Sportswear may close Portland office over death threats, public defecation by homeless people | Fox News
You righties have a weird definition of "paradise". To me that area sounds terrible. You might to check with Webster's before you post again so you don't sound so uninformed next time.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:36 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Liberals only pretend to care about the homeless, but they really can't stand them either. Deep down they know people generally don't become homeless through no fault of their own, discounting mental illness. They are usually drunks, addicts, made horrible choices concerning BFs/GFs/wives/husband's or simply ****ed away 13 years of free.education.
Just a thought, about homeless veterans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_l4Ab5FRwM

Old 11-27-2017, 04:43 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_l4Ab5FRwM
That's a fair point and I was remiss in forgetting veterans. Particularly the Vietnam era vets who were drafted and had no choice but to go.

My overriding point is that many on the left would have us believe that people fall into homelessness at the drop of a hat. One minute they are living a middle-class life and the next they are living under the bridge. I have known to many people to go through prolonged periods of unemployment to believe that. I'm sure it's happened anecdotally, but no way is that the norm.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:44 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,679 times
What does this have to do with "liberals"?

Old 11-27-2017, 04:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
You righties have a weird definition of "paradise". To me that area sounds terrible. You might to check with Webster's before you post again so you don't sound so uninformed next time.
you are right, the area does sound terrible. but when talk turns to liberals pointing to their successes, they often pint to places like seattle and portland, and san francisco, as these great places to live and ignore the homeless populations of these places.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:52 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I probably will be called a " fake military supporter " again. But I will take the risk..

In my opinion, there are many reasons why a veteran ended up being homeless

A. Many had undiagnosed or poorly treated mental or emotional illnesses that caused them exhibit erratic behaviors and poor judgment.

B. Most were marginal individuals prior to military service , performed average to below average in the military and returned to their former status in society after they left the service..

C. Many were alcoholics or addicted to drugs from a period that began during their time of service or shortly thereafter.

Of course, there are honorable military combat veterans who received bad papers unfairly, and they couldn't get any benefits, so they ended up being on the street. My heart goes out to them.

However, let's not kid ourselves, many of the "homeless vets" are not doing enough to help themselves.

We have a feed a homeless vet program at VA hospital. Most of these "vets" are not really vets. They are just regular homeless civilians pretending to be vets.

I know couple of homeless veterans who refuse to get help from VA hospital, I can never figure out why. One homeless veteran friend of mine chooses to carry Marine Corps KA-bar on the street because he "felt like it". How could he expect others to trust him enough to give him a job? Many people WANT to give him a job, by the way, but he "gave up" himself. All he wants is to get drunk. His favorite words are "F off, leave me alone." He is somewhat polite to me, but still, according to him, I should just "mind my own business and stop lecturing him." I begged and begged him to get help for his mental issues, he said, "How dare you implying I need help? I don't know you are a know-it-all. If you really care, then let me do my own things and let's go get drunk together." sheesh

Overwhelming majority of veterans do really well in civilian world, by the way. This is just a fact. The ones who are very successful in the military are also very successful in the civilian world.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-27-2017 at 05:03 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 04:53 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
That's a fair point and I was remiss in forgetting veterans. Particularly the Vietnam era vets who were drafted and had no choice but to go.

My overriding point is that many on the left would have us believe that people fall into homelessness at the drop of a hat. One minute they are living a middle-class life and the next they are living under the bridge. I have known to many people to go through prolonged periods of unemployment to believe that. I'm sure it's happened anecdotally, but no way is that the norm.
It only takes 4 months of missed mortgage payments to start foreclosure proceedings. So it isnt unthinkable for someone to be homeless, my guess is that you dont consider people who move in with relatives in that boat, but they are, they simply have someone to fall back on where as others dont.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:00 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
What does this have to do with "liberals"?
This...

"Almost everyone who visits me asks what’s wrong with this place. Portland is a prosperous, high-tech Pacific Rim city, so why does it have so many street people? Is something uniquely the matter with the city? Not necessarily. But Portland is a better place to be homeless than most American cities. The weather is mild, the citizens are generous—Portlanders spend millions yearly in private donations and tax dollars trying to help the homeless—and public officials are blocked by the courts from regulating vagrancy in ways that are routine elsewhere. Some homeless actually move to Portland from other cities. Homelessness is so visible here that it has encouraged not only expansive nonprofit relief efforts, some of which seem to be doing real good, but also, in at least one case, an innovative approach that may truly ease the problem—and that other cities might consider adopting."

https://www.city-journal.org/html/po...nge-14185.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies