Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 02:11 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Or not need only depend on one person, it's entirely up to the executive to pursue, and we know who heads the executive. Not that I'm saying he should be invited, but if he is not, then nor should any former president, to maintain neutrality.

ETA: St. Georges chapel Windsor can accommodate 800 people. That's a pretty huge non-state wedding party.
Traditionally, totally agree.

However, he's not the next in line, it's obvious he has a relationship with President Obama and not the other one.

The U.K. I'd imagine from reading a while back isn't fond of trump in general.

He'd probably end up just hitting on the bride anyhow. Guy would go bonkers since the day isn't all about him and try to make it that way some how.

Americans won't fault Harry.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:35 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Traditionally, totally agree.

However, he's not the next in line, it's obvious he has a relationship with President Obama and not the other one.

The U.K. I'd imagine from reading a while back isn't fond of trump in general.

He'd probably end up just hitting on the bride anyhow. Guy would go bonkers since the day isn't all about him and try to make it that way some how.

Americans won't fault Harry.
Propriety isn't doing what you want to do, it's doing what you need to do. It's irrelevant the distance from the throne Harry stands. It's a royal wedding, if any president is invited propriety should infer the current, then other former presidents are options as invitees. The fact Obama was president should preclude invitation unless the current incumbent is invited regardless of personal relationship.

Look these people are well paid to work at improving British causes, that doesn't stop at family functions. If they don't want to do that, there's always getting a proper job.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:42 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
The couple royal or not should invite who they want

Old 11-28-2017, 02:54 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Prince Harry seems so sweet and kind in his interviews. I hope he and his beautiful bride-to-be will be very happy.

I'm not sure about the purpose of the royal family and how they serve their country, but it is sure fun reading about them.
Actually, nobody can do pomp and circumstance better than the Brits. The royal family generates A LOT of income for the UK.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Even more so, why invite Obama? He is the last person they should want at their wedding.
12 Reasons Why Obama is No 'Friend' of Britain
Actually, Obama has some kind of personal connection with Prince Harry - Prince Harry and Michelle Obama Surprise Chicago High School Students Ahead of Obama Foundation Summit | PEOPLE.com

Old 11-28-2017, 02:59 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
This sure is a lot of uproar over dubious hearsay that the sensationalist rumour-mongering media is spreading around and merely speculating over yet knows nothing about.

I doubt that either Obama or Trump or any other American dignitaries representing USA will get invitations to this wedding. There is no social or political reason for any of them to be invited. This wedding is not a political or world event, they are not intimates or personal friends or family members of the wedding couple.

I think the wedding will be kept relatively low key and intimate. It's not as if this wedding needs to be a big splashy affair attended by scads of foreign dignitaries like William and Catherine's wedding was required to be with all the pomp and splendour.

For Harry and Meghan a splashy wedding is not required and there would be nothing to gain by such imprudence. They will invite their family members and personal friends, albeit some of those close friends will be foreign dignitaries/celebrities that Harry has been acquainted with most of his life.

Neither Obama or Trump are included in any of those categories. For that matter hopefully Trump might not even be POTUS by the time this wedding rolls round, so whether or not he was invited would be a moot point.

I'm sure Harry will wear his military dress uniform but I'm betting that the bride will not even wear a traditional long trained white wedding gown. She'll wear something else chic and classy but still low key in a different colour and style.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:14 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Are you kidding me? You libs have lost your marbles this morning. Trump is living the American dream and you've somehow put yourself in his head that he wants a castle and coat of arms and nothing else will do. The bitterness in these posts today is bizarre.
Well, he wanted a coat of arms badly enough that he invented one and then got the Scots government to recognize it - https://nypost.com/2012/01/17/trump-...-coat-of-arms/

Maybe we dislike him because we know more about him than you do? Just a thought...

Old 11-28-2017, 03:20 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Who can blame them? Trump is the very definition of the ugly American. I wouldn't want that fat blowhard at my wedding either.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

....... Trump is living the American dream ........

Sorry, but if Trump is living the American dream then that speaks very poorly for the embodiment of the American dream. It would have been more realistic for you to say that Trump represents the American nightmare.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:37 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Propriety isn't doing what you want to do, it's doing what you need to do. It's irrelevant the distance from the throne Harry stands. It's a royal wedding, if any president is invited propriety should infer the current, then other former presidents are options as invitees. The fact Obama was president should preclude invitation unless the current incumbent is invited regardless of personal relationship.

Look these people are well paid to work at improving British causes, that doesn't stop at family functions. If they don't want to do that, there's always getting a proper job.
The Queen is a head of state. Her functions are a STATE matter. Trump qualifies to be invited to those.

The Queen and Prince Phillip DID NOT attend the civil wedding ceremony of Prince Charles and Camilla and Prince Charles is their son and the heir apparent!

It IS NOT a state occasion. Trump doesn’t have to be invited.

Propriety concerns should preclude inviting the most inappropriate person on the planet.

It’s a royal wedding but it’s a PRIVATE matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies