Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 03:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You guys meaning the British, because that's what one of my passports is, was in the British Army, went to Cambridge, about to relocate back to my home town in North East England too. STOP THE PRESSES!

The issue isn't whether the UK monarchy has or has not any power, it has a public role, clearly because we're discussing that very thing. No invitation is a snub and a public snub, made worse by any invitation of former presidents. When the UK is bogged down in BREXIT negotiations with the EU, it's not a good time to poke the guy who manages the US State Dept. and who can reject trade talks, simply because, oh maybe he feels offended because he wasn't invited to a Royal Wedding. This will have almost no impact on the US, but not getting a trade agreement over something so petty could seriously affect the UK'S economic outlook, and for what purpose it's not like it's unprecedented that world leaders attend British Royal Weddings.

Look it's like any wedding, if you invite Aunt Maud you have to invite Uncle Joe (who smells like liniment and stale sweat). Well if you're going to invite Uncle Obama, Uncle Don might get p***ed, unfortunately Obama brings nothing, but Uncle Don might refuse you something that might come in handy.
Uncle Don's a pretty petty guy, huh?

Old 11-28-2017, 04:00 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You guys meaning the British, because that's what one of my passports is, was in the British Army, went to Cambridge, about to relocate back to my home town in North East England too. STOP THE PRESSES!

The issue isn't whether the UK monarchy has or has not any power, it has a public role, clearly because we're discussing that very thing. No invitation is a snub and a public snub, made worse by any invitation of former presidents. When the UK is bogged down in BREXIT negotiations with the EU, it's not a good time to poke the guy who manages the US State Dept. and who can reject trade talks, simply because, oh maybe he feels offended because he wasn't invited to a Royal Wedding. This will have almost no impact on the US, but not getting a trade agreement over something so petty could seriously affect the UK'S economic outlook, and for what purpose it's not like it's unprecedented that world leaders attend British Royal Weddings.

Look it's like any wedding, if you invite Aunt Maud you have to invite Uncle Joe (who smells like liniment and stale sweat). Well if you're going to invite Uncle Obama, Uncle Don might get p***ed, unfortunately Obama brings nothing, but Uncle Don might refuse you something that might come in handy.
I think they'll opt for a smaller, intimate ceremony and use it as an excuse not to invite him or any other heads of state unless they're friendly outside of work.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:33 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
The Queen is a head of state. Her functions are a STATE matter. Trump qualifies to be invited to those.
That would depend on the function. If it's of no relation to the US he does not qualify

Quote:
The Queen and Prince Phillip DID NOT attend the civil wedding ceremony of Prince Charles and Camilla and Prince Charles is their son and the heir apparent!
But they did attend the ceremony of Charles and Diana (mother of William and Harry). Which was a state ceremony. The Queen and Phil didn't attend the Princess Royals second marriage to Timothy Laurence either. That's consistent.

Quote:
It IS NOT a state occasion. Trump doesn’t have to be invited.
Not saying he must be invited. However if not propriety would preclude invitation of any former US president. i.e. you can't invite Aunt Maud without inviting Uncle Joe

Quote:
Propriety concerns should preclude inviting the most inappropriate person on the planet.
You would be inviting the President of the United States not specifically Donald Trump do you understand the difference? I'd argue Harvey Weinstein has him beat for inappropriateness right now.

Quote:
It’s a royal wedding but it’s a PRIVATE matter.
Then it should be private, no cameras, no publicly published guest lists, nothing, but that's not going to happen and you and I both know it.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:37 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Uncle Don's a pretty petty guy, huh?
Hey I'm not a fan, but, I'm also not going to lose sleep if he's invited to prevent any blowback from not being invited. Hell it's known as being professional in business, you may hate someone but you might have to work with them, why make your job harder or risk them flying off the deep end.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:51 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And they spent time together at the Invictus Games in Toronto in September.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertai...29_4x3_992.jpg

Old 11-28-2017, 06:52 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
They are under no obligation to invite the head of state from any nation, including the one from the U.S.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:00 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
The big question here is why is anyone wasting their time even thinking about this.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:05 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Must be Royal Fever is catching.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:09 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The big question here is why is anyone wasting their time even thinking about this.
Whether or not Donald Trump will be snubbed? I honestly don't know other than perhaps people want to see him knocked down a peg or two. As for why people are paying attention to the engagement, I think it's because a love story is always happy news, and furthermore, it was a welcome but all too brief respite from the ugliness that's usually above the fold.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:20 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
I love that. Trump will - rightly - be irate. But the British people have already made it clear that Trump is so sleazy that any contact with the Royal Family would kind of sully them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies