U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 01:45 PM

10,732 posts, read 13,635,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Liberals don't want to control your speech. People on the right wing just don't want consequences for the awful things they say, and they hate that liberals call them out on it. Say whatever racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic things you want, but don't expect to get away with it. Not anymore.
If you want to have this discussion, it's better to start with some honesty on the left.

Yes, there are certain facets of the left that DO want to control free speech. Militants don't want certain ideas expressed and describe their mere mention as violence.

However, right wing media addicts wildly exaggerate how prevalent and influential these "SJWs" are. Half the time I think if it wasn't for right wing media spreading these stories of PC ridiculousness, some of this nonsense would stay confined to college campuses. I heard some of this nonsense back in the 90's. It's not new. It's basically a bunch of kids expressing their anger through contrarian opposition to societal normes.

The right wing media has been so successful at making angry old white people think they need to be afraid of PC SJW's that they find Trump as some sort of hero against this dangerous movement, hence the "he tells it like it is" Joe Sixpack guy in craphole Ohio town whatever.

All his supporters end up doing is degrading the country and showing how little wisdom and class they really have.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:46 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,840,308 times
Once again, just a lot of accusations and insults without any factual basis.

I know this is hard for some to comprehend, but disliking someone doesn't make them wrong.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:48 PM

12,268 posts, read 8,055,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Sticks and stones may may break my bones but words will never hurt me. Grow a thicker skin we don't have time to waste on idiotic stuff like what someone says.
Wrong! Trump's Tweets are a perfect example why we need to waste time on idiotic stuff someone says.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:52 PM

66,313 posts, read 33,652,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You're at the Thanksgiving table. Do you make a lewd joke about your aunt's weight, bring up that festering feud between your niece and nephew, bluntly insult your father on the spot, and change every conversation back to yourself?

No - unless you're born in a barn, you don't. You're an adult with some semblance of maturity, judgment, and social awareness. You behave respectfully toward others in your company and keep the conversation on appropriate topics. You don't derive pleasure from taking jabs at everyone and sowing discord.

Except if you're Donald Trump. If you are then this is exactly what you do - always, like clockwork. The campaign trail is one thing, but any public appearance by Trump at celebrations, ceremonies, etc. is always a drama to see what kind of abhorrent thing he will go out of his way to dredge up next.

Why does he always do this? Why does he have no self control and sense to keep his mouth shut sometimes, even for a second? And why do conservatives take such pride in such complete contempt for anything to do with adult civility and decorum? Aren't there mature conservatives who tired of these constant sideshows?

This is my central problem with Trump. It's not his conservative agenda; it's his deeply disturbing personal behavior. Many politicians on the liberal side may have bad policies and behaviors in private, bit at least they can act like an adult in public. Many conservatives whose policies I don't like I could respect and see behaving like adults in public.

Why did we have to elect the one guy with the biggest personal control issues to represent us? Is this really who we want to present as our representative to the rest of the world?

Why should he "pretend" to be someone he isn't?

I never understood that with Obama, GW, Clinton and the crusty old Bush. Fake puppets, while the show goes on behind the scenes.... around congress and their oversight.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 PM

8,750 posts, read 2,722,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
It may have something to do with the hate liberals have for free speech and how they want to control the speech of others that don't share their views. Yes, that's sure to be part of it. It is well known that liberals are trying to silence conservatives on social media and college campuses. A book was written recently on how China is influencing the first amendment and free speech. Liberals and collusion with China on free speech should be investigated. Maybe assign a special prosecutor and then look for a crime would be in order to stay consistent with progressive policy.

https://www.amazon.com/Bully-Asia-Ch.../dp/1520095899
Liberals don't hate free speech, but they expect the president of the free world to speak above the vocabulary of a grade schooler. They also expect him not to insult people at every turn. So childish.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:59 PM

8,750 posts, read 2,722,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My opinion on why, is that we were all so sick of lip service and being given polite promises, never fulfilled. Would you rather have the best surgeon with the worst bedside manner, or vice versa?

Like my friend used to say about teenagers, ďItís better you donít like what theyíre saying, than if they arenít saying anything.Ē

The president speaks his mind. Sometimes he puts his foot in it. So what? I admit that I get free entertainment from watching whatever the outrage du jour is.

Like today, Schumer and Polosi refused to meet with the president about tax reform because the president said he didnít expect to get any democratic support in spite of meeting. They act like spoiled children.
They're didn't act like spoiled children. Trump basically decided even before the meeting that he wasn't going to negotiate with them, so they didn't see the point.

As far as Trump speaking his mind, that's supposed to be a good thing? What does sounding like an ignorant fool have to do with implementing policy? I'm embarrassed for this country.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:06 PM

9,898 posts, read 3,257,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
First sentence is correct. The last sentence is wrong 90% of the time.

Which liberals? I know some hippie generation liberals who loathe the SJW movement.

LOL. Tell that to College Republicans.

umm College Repubs in liberal schools use "free speech" as a rallying cry. They do everything they can to get banned just to say they got banned. It is a very old tactic and one that the Right has overplayed lately.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:11 PM

14,108 posts, read 9,009,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Why did we have to elect the one guy with the biggest personal control issues to represent us? Is this really who we want to present as our representative to the rest of the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
In short: Tribalism. They hate liberals, and delight in anything that upsets them.

This, they don't so much care about our country has they do in upsetting the left. You see it all the time on here " At least it isn't crooked Hillary." OR I'm glad Obama is gone he let everyone walk all over us. It's hate for anything Leftist same can be said for the Left they do and say the same crap.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:17 PM

5,580 posts, read 3,648,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Sticks and stones may may break my bones but words will never hurt me. Grow a thicker skin we don't have time to waste on idiotic stuff like what someone says.
We also don't have time for kindergarten temper tantrums, childish name calling, or preening for attention.

We need people to stay off twitter and the golf course and to do their job, maturing a bunch wouldn't hurt.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:28 PM

34,533 posts, read 28,875,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My opinion on why, is that we were all so sick of lip service and being given polite promises, never fulfilled. Would you rather have the best surgeon with the worst bedside manner, or vice versa?

Like my friend used to say about teenagers, ďItís better you donít like what theyíre saying, than if they arenít saying anything.Ē

The president speaks his mind. Sometimes he puts his foot in it. So what? I admit that I get free entertainment from watching whatever the outrage du jour is.

Like today, Schumer and Polosi refused to meet with the president about tax reform because the president said he didnít expect to get any democratic support in spite of meeting. They act like spoiled children.
Schumer and Pelosi were acting like anyone who finds out that the person they're meeting with is saying they're not going to work with him. Why meet? Waste of time.

He's the PRESIDENT. He should keep thoughts like those to himself.

Your argument would be valid if Trump was good at filling promises and talented at governing.

He's poor at both of those. Yes, people could tolerate someone who was unintentionally curt if they got stuff done and they'd rather a brilliant surgeon than a mediocre one, despite the bedside manner that came with it.

Trump is ineffective and a horrible leader. So, what's the point of keeping him around?

I know what it is... it's right there in your post. See the bolded. His supporters think him acting like an ass is funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or