Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:20 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The electoral college is actually close to being rendered moot. 10 states and DC have already agreed to implement the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact that will be triggered when enough states have agreed to participate to guarantee that the winner of the popular vote will always become President. As of now, the participating states control 165 electoral votes. Once they have control of 270 electoral votes, there will be no need to go through the formal and impossible process of eliminating the electoral college via constitutional amendment.
Yeah, we'll see what happens, if they ever get to that, when a Republican wins the popular vote and deep blue states like California, Maryland or New York has to give him, or her, their Electoral votes. Or the reverse. Won't happen, no matter how many nonbinding "compacts" are signed.

A fairer way would be to assign state Electors proportionally according to the state's vote 60/40, 70/30, 51/49, whatever. Which will also not happen because it's too scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 03:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Is she wrong? I mean if rural America is willing to vote in the likes of Roy Moore, twice removed from the bench for failing to obey federal law . . then I think she's right.

Show some common sense rural Alabama and we'll change our minds.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:23 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
This woman has said repeatedly that she wants to overturn the electoral college. That won't ever happen as the rules to do that make that impossible.

This woman has made explicit anti-Christian tweets and thinly veiled ant-white tweets several times. She is a hate-filled person who epitomizes the reasons why trump won.
Have to agree to a point. Funny thing is, for some reason they want to think it's all Christians who voted for Trump. I'm a country loving, horseback riding, dog loving, moonshine drinking kind of girl who is actually an atheist. I have been a long time democrat, but when I seen that they were trying to push legislation to push the rural and farm home owners off their lands to make wave for huge gated communities, plus take away my guns so I can't defend myself out here in the middle of nowhere, I had to tell the dems to F off, and I voted for Trump.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:24 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Thank god we have the electoral college. Hillary's popular vote margin came from all the illegals who voted.
Nope, illegal aliens can't vote

Old 11-28-2017, 03:26 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The rural part of the country usually contains very extreme and stupid groups whose ideology would destroy the country, US is not alone in that. Just look at communism, it was solidified at the rural areas.

Holy Crap! The sheer, undiluted hatred of men, of whites, of gun owners, of those who are rural, of those who live in the south is stunning. I can't believe what I am reading in thread after thread on this site. People like you ^^^^ slither throughout the Internet, throughout the media, throughout politics, throughout our education system, and are the real problem in this country. I can see it in faces, in voices, in "jokes", in writing. You're eat up with hate.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Have to agree to a point. Funny thing is, for some reason they want to think it's all Christians who voted for Trump. I'm a country loving, horseback riding, dog loving, moonshine drinking kind of girl who is actually an atheist. I have been a long time democrat, but when I seen that they were trying to push legislation to push the rural and farm home owners off their lands to make wave for huge gated communities, plus take away my guns so I can't defend myself out here in the middle of nowhere, I had to tell the dems to F off, and I voted for Trump.
LOL. Girl, Trump has a specialty in pushing people off their lands to make things like. . golf courses with gated communities.

If THAT is your big issue - you backed the wrong horse.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:27 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Hilary lost the rural areas in those cities, she won philly or Delaware county by a landslide. She lost the rest of PA however.

To have the same five states determine a presidential election every 4 years is insane. This two party system is the death of our democracy. Time changes things, our constitution is old and outdated, don’t know why our congressional leaders have such a hard on for it as well as some Americans

Then tie in religion, you have the perfect recipe of stupid
She did lose rural Pa. but she had to win the cities over like Obama did and she was unable to do that.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:28 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
As somebody who lives in rural America (in the South), I can say this is not far from the truth. Most people here want a right-wing Baptist theocracy where homosexuality is illegal and young earth creationism is taught in public school science classes. They only support things like free speech and free press when it benefits them and they want to restrict opposing viewpoints from getting the same treatment. Their ideal society is something that isn't far off from "A Handmaid's Tale." The only "rights" they support are gun rights.

This is the Internet so I have to say that of course, I know that not EVERYONE who lives in rural America think like this. However, this worldview is quite common.
That is so true, I live in redneckville and every wingnut Trump supporting conservative I know is only interested in gun rights, and if they are told they can purchase as many as they want with no questions asked, that's all they need to hear. The others who don't fall into this category are differing shades of ignorant, but they all support whatever illegalities the Trump team deem necessary to consolidate their grip on power.

The Constitution? Pfft. Outdated and irrelevant to these folks.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Holy Crap! The sheer, undiluted hatred of men, of whites, of gun owners, of those who are rural, of those who live in the south is stunning. I can't believe what I am reading in thread after thread on this site. People like you ^^^^ slither throughout the Internet, throughout the media, throughout politics, throughout our education system, and are the real problem in this country. I can see it in faces, in voices, in "jokes", in writing. You're eat up with hate.
Get off your high horse. Ya'll say hateful things all day long about the 'liberal elites". There are threads on here about how a child molester is better than a Democrat. . .

Ya'll know how to dish it out but you sure don't like it when it's served right back to you.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:29 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Is this woman supposed to be some type of brilliant thinker or just a hack on TV who talks too much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies