Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 04:44 PM

44,990 posts, read 59,968,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Not what I'm talking about.

Take my state for instance, 7 million people, and 4.5 million live right in my metro area or 65% of the state, with another 1 million or 15% living in Greater Tucson. 80% of the state lives in Greater Phoenix or Greater Tucson

Or California, 40 million people, with 19 million in Greater LA, 9 million in the Bay Area, 2 million in Greater San Diego and 2 million in Greater Sacramento, or 32 million out of the 40 million, 80% of the state
When you make a statement like you did, 70% live in urban areas, you absolutely are talking about. You're now moving the goalposts, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,460,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
So a person in NYC can dictate what kind of laws a farm in Iowa has to abide by, when it's a completely different way of life and settings? No thank you! There is a reason why the electoral college vote exists. It's there to protect the states that don't have the coastal areas or beautiful mountains to bring in large vasts of tourist. Flyover states must be protected by the big cities, just as civil rights are needed to protect the blacks from all the whites in this country. If you cannot understand this logic, then there is no help for you.
I look at both the Senate and the EC as subsidization of Rural backwater states, that otherwise would flounder

Old 11-28-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
When you make a statement like you did, 70% live in urban areas, you absolutely are talking about. You're now moving the goalposts, as usual.
Nope, my examples are what I was talking about

34,133 posts, read 18,381,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
So a person in NYC can dictate what kind of laws a farm in Iowa has to abide by, when it's a completely different way of life and settings? No thank you! There is a reason why the electoral college vote exists. It's there to protect the states that don't have the coastal areas or beautiful mountains to bring in large vasts of tourist. Flyover states must be protected by the big cities, just as civil rights are needed to protect the blacks from all the whites in this country. If you cannot understand this logic, then there is no help for you.
The Progressives HATE this concept which is the basis for the American Republic, because they hate America, and its values which are largely rural. Self sufficiency, helping your neighbor, hard work, supporting your military, paying your taxes, keeping your family together, honesty. All values that Progressive despise.

10,309 posts, read 3,912,768 times
Quote:
Not what I'm talking about.

Take my state for instance, 7 million people, and 4.5 million live right in my metro area or 65% of the state, with another 1 million or 15% living in Greater Tucson. 80% of the state lives in Greater Phoenix or Greater Tucson

Or California, 40 million people, with 19 million in Greater LA, 9 million in the Bay Area, 2 million in Greater San Diego and 2 million in Greater Sacramento, or 32 million out of the 40 million, 80% of the state
And, our constitution is designed to protect the individual's rights and freedoms against the majority.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:48 PM

44,990 posts, read 59,968,393 times
Quote:
Nope, my examples are what I was talking about
Oh. Right. Maybe you shouldn't make blanket statements then. But you will and then back track.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh. Right. Maybe you shouldn't make blanket statements then. But you will and then back track.
Cool story bro

23,748 posts, read 14,869,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
don't be silly both fox and OP are purposely taking Joy out of context. notice how the OP misquoted to make it all sound so much worse.

This is what 'SOME' of Right does. They misrepresent the Left endlessly in order to instill fear.

Just think of what many dems want. tolerance of people who are not you not me, and that includes those crazy religious folk. The dems don't care just don't try to force others to believe or life that lifestyle choice...

But if the right ever admits that they have to face the fact that they are the ones creating the problem, and who wants to admit that?

Every dem i know merely wants the opportunity to live free and unburdened by others. I have never met a dem who wants to close down a church or stop someone from praising their god.
I never met a dem who says they want to take everyone's guns, that too is a lie. I have met plenty who want background checks and to end military grade weapons being sold to the public. just as the public is not allowed to buy hundreds of dangerous chemicals..

Mostly if the Republicans stopped trying to scare people into voting for them there would be no real divide between 90% of the pop.

both sides have their fringe crazies who want zero tax, or a free for all and such like.

79,902 posts, read 43,907,746 times
It's amazing that so many still today arr unable to understand that in part it's stuff like this that caused their candidate to lose.

Rather than find a decent person to run, they want to change the rules.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:53 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,379,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I do agree that both must co-exist. However, the current culture in rural America, especially in the South, is reaching a boiling point. People who don't realize why Trump is so popular haven't spent much time in rural America. Big city people who don't understand how people could support Trump ought to spend some time in places like Arkansas or Oklahoma or Mississippi and get a feel for the culture. People down here are living in a very different reality than city residents are living in. The reality down here is shaped heavily by fundamentalist religion, Fox News, and Alex Jones.

I think SOMETHING needs to be done to bridge the gap between urban and rural Americans as the two are becoming increasingly polarized.
Where in the south do you live? You must not get out much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies