Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 04:13 PM

10,454 posts, read 4,038,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Where in the south do you live? You must not get out much.
I don't think he does.

I live outside of Okeechobee county in Florida (Yeehaw junction anyone?????) I have a small horse farm. One neighbor is a Cuban family, and they started a nursery. On the otherside, a Seminole family who owns a survivalist business. Behind me is a Jamaican man who owns a goat farm, and is a truck driver. Across the street, a Mexican who breeds and shows Paso Fino horses, and you can often see them on display at the South Florida Fair. Down the street, a man who moved here from France 40 years ago and he owns a Tennessee Walker horse training farm. There is an orange grove owned by a white family, and while they are Christians, they also support their son who is gay. And most of us, who used to vote democrat because democrats used to protect the farms, wildlife and great outdoors once upon a time, has turned their back on us and made us some sort of enemy, even though we did nothing wrong. Now, they just want to tax us to death, let home insurance companies raise their rates without no challenges, and they keep trying to push gated communities, plazas and walmart, which we as voters keep rejecting.... But, no where in my area do I see bible thumping, gay hating Christians. Just people who want to have a peace of the American dream, and be left alone.

Hell, they have been trying to push city water and sewer systems on us for the past 20 years, and we keep rejecting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 04:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
"MSNBC host Joy Reid.." Man the nonsense on here is nearing the realm of the total absurd. Acting as though Joy Reid's "opinion" bears much weight in the circles of power only demonstrates the severe limits of brainpower at work. I guess we should just come here every day with stupid statements made buy libs or cons and then, by extension smear each along with an entire group..
Yep. I had to laugh at the situation myself. Coincidentally it was MSNBC hosts who went off script today saying how crazy it is that they have to deal with everyone being so partisan. They have to report this stuff as part of their work life and it's stressing THEM. LOL

Old 11-28-2017, 04:19 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
"MSNBC host Joy Reid.." Man the nonsense on here is nearing the realm of the total absurd. Acting as though Joy Reid's "opinion" bears much weight in the circles of power only demonstrates the severe limits of brainpower at work. I guess we should just come here every day with stupid statements made buy libs or cons and then, by extension smear each along with an entire group..
Then why bother to post?

Old 11-28-2017, 04:24 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
MSNBC host Joy Reid thinks that rural Americans are “the core threat to our democracy†and pointed to a series of tweets by liberal author Jared Yates Sexton that claimed Trump supporters “do not believe in the Constitution or any founding principles unless they're advantageous†as proof of her far-left theory.

She tweeted: "This is the core threat to our democracy. The rural minority -- the people @JYSexton just wrote a long thread about -- have and will continue to have disproportionate power over the urban majority."

Anti-Trump MSNBC host Joy Reid thinks rural Americans are 'core threat' to democracy | Fox News

"Rural Americans" = white people who do not adhere to the progressive ideology.
Projection? It's the "progressives" that don't believe in the Constitution, and in fact it was Woodrow Wilson, "the father of American progressivism" that coined the phrase, "living document" for the Constitution.

The Constitution is a contract between the States (the Parties to the Contract) which formed the Federal Government (the product of the Contract). It is not a "living document." A Contract cannot be changed by whim of interpretation. Would you like your employment contract to be claimed to be "a living document" by your employer, changeable at his discretion? I doubt it.

Joy Reid (like most MSNBC hosts) is an idiot!

Old 11-28-2017, 04:24 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I don't think he does.

I live outside of Okeechobee county in Florida (Yeehaw junction anyone?????) I have a small horse farm. One neighbor is a Cuban family, and they started a nursery. On the otherside, a Seminole family who owns a survivalist business. Behind me is a Jamaican man who owns a goat farm, and is a truck driver. Across the street, a Mexican who breeds and shows Paso Fino horses, and you can often see them on display at the South Florida Fair. Down the street, a man who moved here from France 40 years ago and he owns a Tennessee Walker horse training farm. There is an orange grove owned by a white family, and while they are Christians, they also support their son who is gay. And most of us, who used to vote democrat because democrats used to protect the farms, wildlife and great outdoors once upon a time, has turned their back on us and made us some sort of enemy, even though we did nothing wrong. Now, they just want to tax us to death, let home insurance companies raise their rates without no challenges, and they keep trying to push gated communities, plazas and walmart, which we as voters keep rejecting.... But, no where in my area do I see bible thumping, gay hating Christians. Just people who want to have a peace of the American dream, and be left alone.

Hell, they have been trying to push city water and sewer systems on us for the past 20 years, and we keep rejecting it.
Okeechobee County FL is NOT in the Bible Belt. Try spending some time in rural Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, or Alabama and then try to tell me my perception of rural America is wrong.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:31 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
This post, along with Joy Reid's remark, illustrate why the liberals have lost--and continue to lose--credibility and followers. It paints with the broadest paint brush and uses the most exaggerated and out-dated stereotypes of conservatives, libertarians, and independents. Seems like a few George Soros-paid posters here remain dialed back to the 1980s. Being out-of-touch has become the new mark of liberals and the politicians they continue to support (like Nancy Pelosi).

Joy Reid can keep spouting that nonsense. It will only prove to more and more Americans that the liberal agenda is highly anti-Constitutional and anti-United States.
As a long time political liberal, I'd think you may have overlooked your own apparent dislike of so called libbys, lefties, *******s, and a list of other pejoratives too long to write. This forum has long been the place to come to when you want to take a swipe at your political opponents, utilizing the old "guilty by association" smear tactics-- posters rant at imagined armies comprised of those of the liberal bent, or conservative bent.

Joy Reid, or her rants, are not, in my opinion worth arguing about, but nonetheless the usual suspects arrive just in time to get their exercise by jumping to conclusions. Jeez, people say all kinds of stuff when they are attempting to discredit someone, and Reid is no exception. We, the thinking public, still are able to discern bias from fact, and no I don't feel as though "we" liberals have lost anymore than the rest of this nation at the last election.

"We," are all in this together, there is no border at the fringes of our cities that can be easily delineated by political philosophies. It is true that the largest cities are more liberal, and the rural areas tend toward a conservative view, but statements such as Reid's are BS and most ALL of us thinkers can see that, regardless of our address...

Old 11-28-2017, 04:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Okeechobee County FL is NOT in the Bible Belt. Try spending some time in rural Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, or Alabama and then try to tell me my perception of rural America is wrong.
Try spending some time in the big cities like NYC, Houston, or LA and try and tell me they are populated by mostly college educated, intelligent elites. That stereotyping is absurd in my experience after living in two of those cities most of my life.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:42 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Then why bother to post?
What are you insinuating? That we have to quote news articles which only appeal to the severe partisans here? America has a ton of very real problems, and aligning oneself with either party at this point is pretty futile, so solving our ills will take more than posting stuff such as the OP felt was breaking news, I'm thinking of a civil kind of discourse which respects the notion of differing opinions. Yeah I do get tired of seeing the kind of crap which serves as a fuse for partisan squabbling.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:44 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
What are you insinuating? That we have to quote news articles which only appeal to the severe partisans here? America has a ton of very real problems, and aligning oneself with either party at this point is pretty futile, so solving our ills will take more than posting stuff such as the OP felt was breaking news, I'm thinking of a civil kind of discourse which respects the notion of differing opinions. Yeah I do get tired of seeing the kind of crap which serves as a fuse for partisan squabbling.
Then don't look at it if it bothers you. You are not contributing anything.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:52 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
As somebody who lives in rural America (in the South), I can say this is not far from the truth. Most people here want a right-wing Baptist theocracy where homosexuality is illegal and young earth creationism is taught in public school science classes. They only support things like free speech and free press when it benefits them and they want to restrict opposing viewpoints from getting the same treatment. Their ideal society is something that isn't far off from "A Handmaid's Tale." The only "rights" they support are gun rights.

This is the Internet so I have to say that of course, I know that not EVERYONE who lives in rural America think like this. However, this worldview is quite common.

When I was a kid, one of the worst insults you could throw at people, was to call them "farmers". That name implied stupidity and having backward values, in a society that was moving forward. To me, farmers and all truly rural people have always seemed not just ignorant, but conservative, racist and fundamentalist. Even in our blue state of Oregon, just going a few miles out of the cities, you can still encounter those who are mired in the worst parts of our past.

I lived in a city and attended an enlightened school in the University District, until age 11. Then we moved out to a small farm and I got a good perspective of the vast differences in these two opposed factions of our population. It was a cultural shock to me, being exposed to the ugliness and bigotry of those yahoos, after my earlier environment in town. Even the teachers and principal of the country school I had to attend, discriminated actively against "city kids" like myself. These people constructed the attitude I have towards them; I didn't go out there with any pre-formed, negative expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies