Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:10 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,709 times

Advertisements

Nursing in public used to be the standard, so it’s not really that progressive to hope for it to return from a regressive state to the middle

Last edited by latimeria; 12-07-2017 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 01:45 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Nursing in public used to be the standard, so it’s not really that progressive to hope for it to return from a regressive state to the middle

"Standard" or perhaps "norm of the day".
But then, so was polygamy, no?

Old 12-08-2017, 03:50 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Gawd, what is with you? First you're comparing nursing one's baby in public without a cover to defecation, now it's polygamy. What's next? Compare it to murder?

Last edited by Angry-Koala; 12-08-2017 at 04:10 AM..

Old 12-08-2017, 03:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
No.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
For one tiny subset of people. It was hardly widespread.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:11 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Gawd, what is with you? First you're comparing nursing one's baby in public without a cover to defecation, now it's polygamy. What's next? Compare it to murder?
Read my posts again. I don't have any problem at all with mothers nursing in public. I also supported this particular woman for nursing her baby.

My PERSONAL opinion is that if she had decided to use one of the AVAILABLE designated facility (which is an OPTION) to feed the baby, she may have earned some class and diginty.

She did NOT decide to do so and that is NOT a problem because she didn't break any law and she is in compliance with the Disney's terms and conditions.

Passing by people, who would purposely stare at her breasts and make a comment are also WRONG. They should mind their business.

I am only voicing my opinion (do you understand this concept? I hope you do), that when it comes to justify the act of public nursing as a sign of a progressive society, then what would be the indicators and measures of a progressive society, 50 years from now?

Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Read my posts again. I don't have any problem at all with mothers nursing in public. I also supported this particular woman for nursing her baby.

My PERSONAL opinion is that if she had decided to use one of the AVAILABLE designated facility (which is an OPTION) to feed the baby, she may have earned some class and diginty.

She did NOT decide to do so and that is NOT a problem because she didn't break any law and she is in compliance with the Disney's terms and conditions.

Passing by people, who would purposely stare at her breasts and make a comment are also WRONG. They should mind their business.

I am only voicing my opinion (do you understand this concept? I hope you do), that when it comes to justify the act of public nursing as a sign of a progressive society, then what would be the indicators and measures of a progressive society, 50 years from now?
But...who says it’s progressive, really? I mean...for centuries, thousands of years even, I am pretty sure there was no fuss over it. I am pretty sure I read some accounts of it happening with the Puritans, for goodness sake. We have some paintings/pictures also as proof.

So there has been about 50 years of regression, and we’re finally returning to normalcy....but it’s being called progressive? So silly.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
You forgot to add MODESTLY which is certainly NOT what "Mrs.Two Bags" was doing...

For all of you who've been saying "they're only breasts it's no big deal" or, "if a male can go topless then why can't females" or, "they're not sexual" let me ask y'all this. "If you have daughters from toddler to 18 years old would you be okay with them walking out of the house right now topless to go about their day?"
Would it bother you if your tween/teen went to the mall topless or some other public place like any amusement park,beach,skate park,concert etc?

If you wouldn't allow it, why not?

Old 12-09-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You forgot to add MODESTLY which is certainly NOT what "Mrs.Two Bags" was doing...

For all of you who've been saying "they're only breasts it's no big deal" or, "if a male can go topless then why can't females" or, "they're not sexual" let me ask y'all this. "If you have daughters from toddler to 18 years old would you be okay with them walking out of the house right now topless to go about their day?"
Would it bother you if your tween/teen went to the mall topless or some other public place like any amusement park,beach,skate park,concert etc?

Historical pictures I’ve shared did not show them covering up.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Because of people like yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies