U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 02:47 AM

11,504 posts, read 3,143,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think the two put together demonstrates the complete incompetence of the administration.

Nobody knew enough about the history of this country to not know any better -- or they just didn't care.

Unbelievable.

We know Trump hasn't a clue but somebody in the Oval Office has to have some kind of clue right?
Someone in one of the other threads seemed to make it seem diabolical, but I think that person was giving Trump too much credit. I agree with what I bolded above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 02:52 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,600,323 times
Man, this thread is going to lead to a few more straws on my ignore list. Camel's back is getting waaayyy too tired...

That event was supposed to be about the Code Talkers, not about Trump's little political vendettas. And if you think Trump had no prior knowledge of what Jackson did to the Native Americans, you might want to invest in a degree from the Dear Leader's highly esteemed university. I don't think it offered a history course, but perhaps they could start.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:53 AM

4,438 posts, read 3,289,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It was not unique and was supported when this occurred. Sure, in the view of a historian fallacy it looks absolutely terrible, however, we should not be committing such fallacies, and it should not overshadow the entire spectrum of such accomplishments of Jackson and the contributions to this country in which we have all enjoyed the fruits of.
It was vociferously opposed even at the time by many prominent politicians and private citizens, and in blatant violation of a then-recent US Supreme Court decision.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:17 AM

11,504 posts, read 3,143,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Oh, horse hockey. I third party vote, from someone who might otherwise have stayed at home, didn't help or hinder either candidate.
Like you, I didn't vote for Hillary, and I didn't vote for Trump. I don't live in a swing state, and neither do you. Pilot1 one does live in a swing state

Old 11-29-2017, 03:58 AM

14,152 posts, read 11,579,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Man, this thread is going to lead to a few more straws on my ignore list. Camel's back is getting waaayyy too tired...

That event was supposed to be about the Code Talkers, not about Trump's little political vendettas. And if you think Trump had no prior knowledge of what Jackson did to the Native Americans, you might want to invest in a degree from the Dear Leader's highly esteemed university. I don't think it offered a history course, but perhaps they could start.

Well, I'm not arguing that you're wrong here. Trump blatantly politicizes everything he touches and his attempts can be less than impressive. He is certainly no statesman. I grew up with lots of Indian kids. Our spread bordered right on the rez. I have one of the many friend I made left now. The others are all either dead from alcoholism and drug abuse or in prison.

"Pocahontas" and other terms like calling someone "chief" and such are sore spots. Using such terms in a speech that was supposed to be about honoring the code talkers is a bit more than bad form. Those guys had to overcome all manner of racism and degrading terminology for the honor of dropping themselves into a meat grinder for a country that didn't respect them for it.

So yea. Trump was a major prick with this speech. But he's used to a boardroom wherein he governs without the need for tact and his money has always bought him immunity from criticism. With the bucks he has he's never had to worry about anything more than the bottom line. He may or may not figure out that being the president of the US has different character requirements from president of Trump inc.

I personally have serious issues with how things are done in corporate executive land and Trump epitomizes the latter to me. But, we're stuck with the guy for a couple more years. I wasn't happy being stuck with Obama for 8 years. I reckon I can deal with Trump for his term(s) . Classless remarks are small potatoes to me.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:36 AM

9,351 posts, read 10,140,337 times
It was a good example of "a bull in a china shop." Do we blame the bull or the person who left the door open?

Old 11-29-2017, 04:48 AM

15,625 posts, read 6,167,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
No one at any time of history that was living on what would be considered "their" land should be hunted down and killed. But, it happened and that's terrible but, it is what it is. I can't speak of their accomplishments but I imagine survival was at the top of the list until the evil, white devil came along.
What you are saying is that human migration is evil. More advanced people displace more primitive ones all the time. When the Native Americans held the continent one tribe displaced another all the time.

As you say "it is what it is."

Old 11-29-2017, 05:20 AM

1,117 posts, read 609,051 times
Maybe he's just cruel...likes trying to hurt people. There's nothing accidental about it and I'm not seeing any mystery to it. He feels big when he thinks he's made someone else feel small. He's engaged in it over and over again. Through speeches, incessant tweeting, continuous complaining and name calling, and now face to face. Don't know what exactly happened to this guy but whatever it was it seems like it hit hardest in early childhood.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:30 AM

66,196 posts, read 33,593,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
One guy says it and you...

1. Think heís serious.
2. Think none of them care.

Thatís interesting.

What is troubling... You feel the need to think for them.
They have every opportunity to speak up and people their age, don't hold back.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:37 AM

58,062 posts, read 40,822,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Id go with insulting over insensitive.

The man was just sticking to one of his few strengths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies