Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 08:20 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The criminal element in five points should be celebrating these liberals moving in. They can now rob and murder people that actually might have some money or property worth the robbery.
LOL! The other benefit is that property values rise, and they can sell their homes (if they own them) and get some decent money. Where they move is another question. Maybe Aurora, or Commerce City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 08:21 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The very people that complain about being poor, about poverty-are the same ones driving businesses and opportunity out of the neighborhood. Most are too frickin' stupid to figure that out.
True, but what were they thinking with putting that sign up? How stupid can you be?

Old 11-28-2017, 08:25 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The very people that complain about being poor, about poverty-are the same ones driving businesses and opportunity out of the neighborhood. Most are too frickin' stupid to figure that out.
First, I wonder how true this story is. Most often, I think stories are either made up or exaggerated because racial topics are hot topics. Then, is there a possibility that the store owners did this themselves to get free publicity?

Now, about the poverty/poor people driving out businesses. Most times, that is not the case. It's just when an area becomes poor, a drug lord will get wind of it and send in some gang members to set up territorial lines. If a business moves in and looks like it could become popular, the gangs will attack it to drive them out, since it wouldn't be good for their business if an area starts to build itself back up again. And all of this comes down to legalizing all drugs. It's the backbone of most gangs, and if you cut that one artery, chances are the bleeding out will begin.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:26 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
True, but what were they thinking with putting that sign up? How stupid can you be?
I was thinking the same thing. You have to be totally clueless.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:37 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
There is a thread on this in the Denver forum. Looks like it was combined with another (older) thread, but this current incident is discussed starting with Post #34 of the thread.

Gentrification is us (in Denver)

Old 11-28-2017, 08:48 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Gentrification and safety are 2 separate issues. Don't really understand your point, other than to expect crime in high crime areas. With that said, everybody deserves safety.

What's more frustrating to me is the "white liberals" who won't address the root causes of crime. And continue to push neo-liberal and failed democratic policies. The "black liberals" who fall in that category I feel the same way about. And any other race.
I’m curious what you think they should do. How do you address the root cause?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
First, I wonder how true this story is. Most often, I think stories are either made up or exaggerated because racial topics are hot topics. Then, is there a possibility that the store owners did this themselves to get free publicity?

Now, about the poverty/poor people driving out businesses. Most times, that is not the case. It's just when an area becomes poor, a drug lord will get wind of it and send in some gang members to set up territorial lines. If a business moves in and looks like it could become popular, the gangs will attack it to drive them out, since it wouldn't be good for their business if an area starts to build itself back up again. And all of this comes down to legalizing all drugs. It's the backbone of most gangs, and if you cut that one artery, chances are the bleeding out will begin.
I don’t understand why it would mean the end of the drug lord’s business to have some employed customers. Maybe the end of doing it openly on the street, but not really the end of business.

Legalization of every drug is not going to happen. You think people would accept being able to legally buy cocaine or heroin or meth? Marijuana is one thing, but some things are just too far in my opinion. I wouldn’t object to lowering the penalties for it though.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:23 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It has nothing to do with the demographics but I know how rough of a neighborhood it is.
So it's not the people who are rough but the buildings? ... the dirt maybe?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:48 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
LOL! The other benefit is that property values rise, and they can sell their homes (if they own them) and get some decent money. Where they move is another question. Maybe Aurora, or Commerce City?
Exactly, where do the people pushed out of the area go? Happened in my home town and has replayed over and over when the conditions are right to "flip" a neighborhood.

Pretty crappy deal for the folks who cannot afford to live there after the investors and developers flock in for the frenzy of profit making that will ensue.

Gentrification is only good for a handful of people.

Then the clueless affluent types wander in like Christoper Columbus and "discover" the place.

I don't have much sympathy for the coffee shop literally rubbing it in the locals faces. The sign might as well have read "start packin' scum".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies