Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 12:09 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
She is now saying her comments were taken out of context. Didn't deny saying it, but says it was not what she meant.

(excerpt)
Those who have known the quality of my work and the many public statements I have made over the course of my life, must know, that I am a strong supporter of Women’s Rights.”
Lansbury attempted to distance herself from her comments in an interview with Radio Times magazine, saying they were taken out of context. “Lastly, I would like to add that I am troubled by how quickly and brutishly some have taken my comments out of context and attempted to blame my generation, my age, or my mindset, without having read the entirety of what I said,” she said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...cid=spartanntp
It crossed my mind that this story seemed a little off and it looks like perhaps it was. I really wish reporters would just give us the full transcripts of their interviews.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:49 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
If women dress in a way that arouses men, they can't expect men to remain unaroused. If you slit your wrist and dip it in a shark tank don't blame the shark for what happens.
I agree, that she isn't totally wrong.

Testosterone is a very powerful chemical, and I think most women underestimate it.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:59 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
Maybe the Muslims are on to something: Burkas. Women should be covered from hand to foot, only their eyes visible.

Not really, just kidding.

But Burkas are an attempt to deal with the natural attraction that men and women feel for each other. Burkas acknowledge that the attraction exits and that it has consequences, which includes unpleasant ones at times (although Muslims are concerned with protecting men from corruption by women, not women from unwelcome advances by men).

At work, men and women should dress professionally. Business casual should go back on the shelf. Suits and ties for men. Dresses or pant suits for women. None of this trashy garb you see on so many office workers today.

In blue collar situations, clothes appropriate for the work being performed.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:31 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I know, and I think this is part of the problem and the reason I believe that women bear at least some of the responsibility. You can't dress like a **** and then act surprised when men do what men have been doing from time immemorial.
But dressing like a sloot is subjective. We have cultures where clothes are not worn to cultures where women must wear a burka, and everything in between.

I get that we are usually compelled to look at things of beauty, disgust, oddities and nudity and if one stands out in these departments one will get attention. But we are also able and hopefully taught to control our compulsions.

We label people by their appearance and treat them differently because of it. The fact that a woman who dresses in one manner is labeled a sloot and treated as fair game for ogles, gestures and comments and another woman who dresses frumpy is not or a man in a nice suit is treated with respect while another man in dirty work clothes is looked down upon is a product of our conditioning. We may not be able to master this conditioning but we can consciously control it.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:54 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Like papa Bush, Angela has grown too old for anything she says or does to be taken seriously.
You need to put me on ignore.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:02 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Men can always opt to ignore them instead or harassing or molesting them.
And that is the lesson we taught our son and grandsons.

Pretty girls are a dime a dozen. Look for a girl who values her brain more than her looks.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:14 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
Our society is way too caught up in looks and how someone dresses period. Some of that applies to men too. It's always that elephant in the room that people don't want to address.

What many men don't grasp though is that society has forced a situation where a woman's very identity is tied to her appearance.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:08 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
That is right, you got no idea.

What Angela says is true. Here you have women (or male homosexuals) trying to think like hetero men. It wont work gals. Men and women are on different wavelengths.

Same thing if you run around with a gold Rolex and think you will be safe in sketchy areas. Are you going to keep chanting..it is never my fault? Well, you had it coming, because you lived in a fantasy world. And you know what, it can be your fault.

Here is your world ladies in a SHTF world...you step out your door and you will be abducted as a sex slave. Your abductor generally doesn't want to exert power over you...they want sex plain and simple.

If men get glimpse of your luscious breasts the get a hard on, you brush up against em...a hard on. They see you bend over and show some leg...a hard on. Accept if you advertise ladies...you may get a buyer.

As you lose your beauty ladies and have no power over men, you will long for the days when someone would look at you...enjoy the power while you can...and keep chanting it is never my fault!
The workplace or school should not be akin to a sketchy area,( in most cases), it should be a Safe Space. For a while I worked in an actual dangerous area mostly alone and I changed my appearance and demeanor to try to fly under the radar. I would not want to do this in a normal workplace, I would want to be visible.

I am not sure what these arguments are about, the men doing this are the ones getting canned. The *** is up.

If you are correct, women must be doing the right thing by using their looks to get ahead, since they will be invisible later on, they better climb the ladder while they can.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:27 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Men can always opt to ignore them instead or harassing or molesting them.

Exactly. Not like men are still in the stone age or small apes anymore ( ) with only their primal brains. They have a cerebrum (higher brain) which can discriminate and make choices, which guide behaviors. The only ones to fault or blame are the men who are harassers and predators.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:44 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
At work, men and women should dress professionally. Business casual should go back on the shelf. Suits and ties for men. Dresses or pant suits for women. None of this trashy garb you see on so many office workers today.
Here we part company, and I call "BS".

Dress codes (perhaps they should be called "overdress" codes) are nothing more than the most absurd means by which the psycho-sexual absolutes of a minority of moneyed geezers are forced upon the rest of us. it may be perfectly legal, and those who choose a dissenting view may have to pay a heavy price, but removing (or at least reducing the weight of) this millstone around the necks (literally!) of the responsible majority of employees would produce far greater benefit than a few parroted cries of "harassment", which are currently and politically en vogue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies