Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 07:21 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

If Lauer can be fired this quickly, no one is safe.
No one guilty of sexual harassment is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:23 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Women are taking over, one harassment accusation at a time.
I just turned off MSNBC because they stopped discussing tax reform. When I turned off the TV it was all women discussing sexual harassment, no men.

It's a good thing that Morning Joe married the woman that he was potentially harassing. I would miss his insightful reporting.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:25 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Doesn't surprise me either. He has been separated from his wife off and on over the years for his cheating.

I have always thought he acted creepy under certain circumstances, like in cooking segments, or a very attractive guest has been on.

Matt is 60 and very wealthy. He never has to work again. Boo hoo. It's his accuser is who I feel sorry for. This is very different than Brian Williams.

Remember Anne Curry. Karma rears its ugly head. Wiily Gist will probably move into his place.

Now it's time to go on to the White House!

Because we all know that's what the end game of the greatest witch hunt in history is all about.

How many more communist talking heads and leaders of industry will be sacrificed to the cause of removing Trump from office?

Who cares, just keep it up.......

Burn all the libs down, and Trump will likely still be standing.

The libs are self immolating themselves, happy day for the right.

CN

Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Laurer has been at NBC for 41 years and is no doubt a 100 millionaire plus as a well paid, will say anything his bosses want, talking head. He's probably not that worried about it unless there are criminal charges to come.
He'll probably get his $10M per year contract paid out plus his golden parachute. He's not going to be hurting for funds.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:29 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,576,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Because we all know that's what the end game of the greatest witch hunt in history is all about.

How many more communist talking heads and leaders of industry will be sacrificed to the cause of removing Trump from office?

Who cares, just keep it up.......

Burn all the libs down, and Trump will likely still be standing.

The libs are self immolating themselves, happy day for the right.

CN
Great guy - that noble leader of yours...

Donald Trump retweets far-right group's videos - BBC News

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Here's another one gone:

NPR Chief News Editor Departs After Harassment Allegations | KEDM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Glad I'm retired and no longer have to navigate the unreasonable sensitivity required at today's workplace.
Keeping one's clothing on and hands off other people is unreasonable?

Not using power/ influence to intimidate subordinates to feed your sexual fantasies is unreasonable?

Old 11-29-2017, 07:30 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Indeed. And CBS axed Jeremy Piven yesterday.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:31 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,092,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No it won't.

I'm a woman working in a male-dominated industry and there are problematic men of all nationalities and ages.

The main two categories are:

• South Asian men (e.g. Indians, Pakistanis, etc) whose patriarchal culture has taught them to treat women differently than men. They're not all bad, but the ones who are bad are insufferable. Preening, arrogant, dismissive, condescending, etc.
  • White men under 40, a.k.a. "Bros" who don't condescend to women...they either ignore us or have conversations about "hot chicks" or go to group lunches at breastaurants like Hooters and Twin Peaks, knowing that most women won't want to tag along. These are the guys who will usually eventually lay you (females) off once you hit 40.

The south Asians are the biggest offenders in creating a hostile work environment in my experience. The white male "bros" are more annoying than anything else, but for now they still wield a lot of power in my industry and are hence the bigger threat.

Now I've never been sexually harassed in the traditional sense...nobody's ever made unwanted physical contact with me or threatened my employment or reputation in exchange for sexual favors. Ever. But I've been made to feel uncomfortable, unwanted, incompetent, etc. by them. When I'm not being outright ignored, I'm being accused of being abrasive, hysterical, or on my period.

I've never gone to HR over any of it because it's almost impossible to prove and I don't want a huge target painted on my back. If you can't prove it definitively and absolutely, it's best to stay quiet. Most of us know this.

I've been in this field for 20 years with a little over half of that spent working in the United States (my native country and where I currently live). I've known of very few female colleagues who've ever brought this kind of harassment or discrimination to HR's attention and none took it lightly.

I'm glad that the current environment is emboldening actual victims of harassment and discrimination to step forward and hold the perpetrators accountable. I would like to see more intersectionality, though. There's just as much discrimination based on age, race, national origin, etc. as there is based on gender. I want society to take on ageism. I want society to take on anti-black discrimination. I want society to take on anti-Americanism in IT.

We're only scratching the surface here.

Or they could be lies and exaggeration for attention and sympathy

Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know I am in the minority and I have no idea what he did or did not do, but I am also a little tired of this day to day reporting of sexual misconduct. Yes, there are many times, too many when men step over the line. I guess women as well, but some of this seems to me like a lot of nothing. I guess it is how one looks at the picture. Why can't women just Don't touch me or don't make comments like that ever again. Why come forward 10 or more years later and claim, I remember so and so saying something nasty to me one day in my office or I remember when John Jones patted my butt? Guys can be jerks, of course, but some of these claims made by women are not grounds for people losing their jobs.

BTW,I am not defending Matt or anyone else that does something totally unacceptable.

its like everyday some person comes and claims someone molested them.. I'm with you on this - you know, back then when we were growing up, (for me it was the 70's).. the rave was "sex drugs and rock n roll". it was normal and expected to play around sexually and then there are kids that are exploring out of curiosity sexual things while growing up, Now it looks like all that playing around is getting people in trouble. But that was the norm back then.

When you compare the norm of yesterday to today's norms, this is where conflict happens, same with the norms of history when having slaves was the norm, and other such things. its weird watching when people don't remember norms have changed.

I personally think some of this was normal behavior when it happened, and now it is coming back to bite people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies