Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 12:27 PM

38,603 posts, read 26,220,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No it won't.

I'm a woman working in a male-dominated industry and there are problematic men of all nationalities and ages.

The main two categories are:

• South Asian men (e.g. Indians, Pakistanis, etc) whose patriarchal culture has taught them to treat women differently than men. They're not all bad, but the ones who are bad are insufferable. Preening, arrogant, dismissive, condescending, etc.
  • White men under 40, a.k.a. "Bros" who don't condescend to women...they either ignore us or have conversations about "hot chicks" or go to group lunches at breastaurants like Hooters and Twin Peaks, knowing that most women won't want to tag along. These are the guys who will usually eventually lay you (females) off once you hit 40.
The south Asians are the biggest offenders in creating a hostile work environment in my experience. The white male "bros" are more annoying than anything else, but for now they still wield a lot of power in my industry and are hence the bigger threat.

Now I've never been sexually harassed in the traditional sense...nobody's ever made unwanted physical contact with me or threatened my employment or reputation in exchange for sexual favors. Ever. But I've been made to feel uncomfortable, unwanted, incompetent, etc. by them. When I'm not being outright ignored, I'm being accused of being abrasive, hysterical, or on my period.

I've never gone to HR over any of it because it's almost impossible to prove and I don't want a huge target painted on my back. If you can't prove it definitively and absolutely, it's best to stay quiet. Most of us know this.

I've been in this field for 20 years with a little over half of that spent working in the United States (my native country and where I currently live). I've known of very few female colleagues who've ever brought this kind of harassment or discrimination to HR's attention and none took it lightly.

In my entire career, I know of only one man who was fired from his job for "inappropriate conduct." This was in a country where firing people is far more difficult than it is in the United States and conduct that was ignored/condoned from other people constituted gross misconduct in his case. (FWIW, he sued the employer for wrongful dismissal and won.) He was not reported by any female colleagues; rather, IT reported him to HR because they were monitoring his e-mails under orders from his (male) boss. He received a racy e-mail which he then forwarded to someone else in the organization. The male recipient of that e-mail was not part of the complaint.

I'm glad that the current environment is emboldening actual victims of harassment and discrimination to step forward and hold the perpetrators accountable. I would like to see more intersectionality, though. There's just as much discrimination based on age, race, national origin, etc. as there is based on gender. I want society to take on ageism. I want society to take on anti-black discrimination. I want society to take on anti-Americanism in IT.

We're only scratching the surface here.

I'm man that worked in the Restaurant business for a number of years.

Most of the time I worked in majority female work environments; female managers, female co-workers.

I have never once encountered a female that was in any way concerned that I (males in general) might be held to a much higher standard of accountability.

I have never once encountered a female that was in any way concerned that her behavior might be inappropriate.

No, female customer, as a matter of fact I'm not a male stripper!

Thanks for asking.

No, female co-worker, I really don't want to know what happened at your bachelorette party!

Thanks for sharing.

Hey everyone, Jenny is turning eighteen!

Any of you guys (male co-workers) wanna strip at her party?

Common, we need a volunteer!

No thanks, female co-worker.

All of these things happened (the first two repeatedly) and that's all just fine and dandy because it was females doing it instead of males.

The fact of the matter is that there is more than just a double standard applied to men in these situations.

Women are sexual royalty and men are an untouchable underclass.

This is why women can do pretty much whatever they want without fear of consequences.

Men know that complaining about female inappropriateness will be mocked (I'll get it here just as soon as I post this) and turn every female in the establishment against them.

Women expect this special treatment and rules/penalties that only apply to men.

They will unite and fight fiercely to protect their advantage over men.

Lately, this advantage has morphed into weaponized victimhood.

Because a woman is free from any serious scrutiny of her story (not to mention consequences if she is found to have lied), she may destroy any man's life based on nothing more than uncorroborated hearsay.

The piling on of one Gloria Allred client after another isn't seen as mass hysteria advanced by greedy false accusers.

Instead, the number of baseless accusations becomes the evidence of wrongdoing where no real evidence exists.

And while I can't say that I don't enjoy seeing the left, the Dr. Frankenstein to this life destroying sexual harassment monster, being force-fed their own, still, this is a very dangerous road for all of us to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 12:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,452,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Good riddance. I don't know how he got the job in the first place. He was getting 28,000,000/year you would think for that kind of money he could control himself. I never watch the Today show anyway but he certainly was no reason to tune in. I wonder what Mrs Lauer will be thinking/doing now. This must have been some pretty heavy duty stuff for NBC to fired him like that. It will come out in the next few days I am sure. He has a wife, 3 kids and of the best paying gigs in broadcasting and goes off the rails like this. Goes to show some men are never happy.
He and Mrs Lauer have not lived together for quite some time.

On the flip side, Fox renewed O' Reilly's co tract despite a history of agreeing to settlements with his accusers. One such accuser recieved $ 32 million. The CEO of Fox Roger Ailes made certain to take care of like kind until he was outed.

Nothing to do with politics. All to do with some men who chose to not control themselves, using their power and influence for personal gratification.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Butt grabbing? Sure

But many women seem to think "a man talking to them" is sexual harsssment
Many? How many?

I have yet to meet a woman who thought a man talking to them was sexual harassment.

It depends on what's coming out of their mouth and position.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Of course you believe these tabloids.

I'll bet you pick up a copy of each one at the grocery store check-out and read them cover to cover.
I lived in NY at the time. The tabloids could not get enough of Trump antics and he could not get enough exposure.

Unlike POTUS, I don't retweet tabloid news.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:34 PM

19,378 posts, read 12,023,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Many? How many?

I have yet to meet a woman who thought a man talking to them was sexual harassment.

It depends on what's coming out of their mouth and position.
I don't know of any harassment complaint that has been about men just talking to them.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:38 PM

38,603 posts, read 26,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
were you assaulting and raping?

cause if not, why worry?

rumor has it he sexually assaulted a colleague at the olympics in 2014

Hmmm....let's see...complete absence of due process?

Old 11-29-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Thanks for posting that. It was a good interview. Whether they are sexual harassers or not, it is obvious why both were at or near the top of their industry. Of course, I tend to believe O'Reilly a bit more, but am realistic in that these guys can seem brutally honest while lying through their teeth.
Fox paid out a $32 million settlement to one of O' Reilly's accusers.

Fox was subsequently sued by its shareholders for covering up sexual misconduct. They settled for $90 million.

Those are costly gag orders.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:39 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,034,584 times
haha. get the popcorn.

I love this.

Matt lauer was always an a-hole, from what I've read in the past.

Good to see a woman topple him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Savannah encouraged her to file a complaint, as she would take over as chief anchor with matt out.

CNN article says they knew Matt was being investigated by other media outlets, so I'm sure these ladies knew about his behavior.

Last edited by oh come on!; 11-29-2017 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't know of any harassment complaint that has been about men just talking to them.
Either do I.

Seems there are a few posters here who prefer to view men as victims and identify as such.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:41 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,840,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It may have the net effect of making it more difficult for women to get hired, especially those who are attractive.
So they'll figure out a way to blame us women? Sounds about right. If they don't hire us... men can't sexually assault or harasss us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies