Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,145,517 times

Advertisements

Good riddance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 AM

32,921 posts, read 12,225,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Interesting.

I remember he bought that house from Richard Gere in 2016 for $36.5 million.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robin Roberts mentioned that Trump just tweeted about the firing.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:52 AM

17,927 posts, read 27,336,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Christmas has come early. Can't stand Matt Lauer.
I can't either, and I couldn't tell you exactly why. I can't put my finger on it, but who disgusts me even more is Savannah Guthrie and Katie Couric.

I would like to hear concern and grace for the victim(s) in this situation. Was the sexual misbehavior severe and/or pervasive?

Haven't been through the whole thread yet, maybe we learn something from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
It is nice that the left and the MSM are cannibalizing themselves. I don't like Matt Lauer but unless he did something that is criminal and the accuser was very credible it seems like an overreach.

Wonder who the accuser is, Katie Couric?
Yikes. Didn't think of that. It's possible. If so, I'll have to amend my hatred for her, except for the way she trashes other non-liberal women every chance she got back when she was relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
There was none of that this morning. Instead it was about "their" shock over what has been accused of their "friend".

Seemed as fake as everything else on that network.
I'm sure that deep down, Savannah Guthrie has mixed feelings about any victims looming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I personally do not believe people should be fired for a single incident, I don't know what he did but I assume they have factual, solid information in order to fire him.

I worked in a job for many years where someone just couldn't be fired for a single incident. There had to be a series of notices to the employee prior to firing. First, the person would be called into the office and verbally informed about their improper conduct and told what would happen if there were any further incidents. Documentation would then be placed in their file. The person would also be given the chance to have a representative with them at this meeting, to ensure that they were being told everything in a legal manner.

If there was a second incident, the person would then be given some disciplinary measures. Possibly increased warnings, time off without pay, maybe told that they wouldn't be eligible for raises or bonuses..stuff like this.

It would have to be escalated a bit before the actual firing. No one could simply decide to complain about someone else and then the person suddenly gets fired. I also don't think that a comment or joke here or there is grounds for firing.
Nowadays, they categorize it into severe, a one time type act, or pervasive, an ongoing thing.

Who are you to say Matt hasn't already had "the meeting"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I tuned into the Today show this morning at 8am to see what they had to say about it.

They did report it. And Laurer's two talking head co-anchors were there falling all over themselves in shock & grief. Makes one wonder how much of that was made up and how much they knew about it too. Sounds like it might have gone on for more than 20 years.
Savannah's shock interests me much. : popcorn time:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You would be surprised just how much stuff reported on, in "the Enquirer"..... are actually more real, than sensationalized.
Umm duh? I'd read that before I'd waste my time on some Time magazine rag, wapo, nyt, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Maybe it’s time for women to buck up a little and realize men are men. They have their defenses built in by the creator? Why not try that and leave the lawyers out of it?
Not out to stick it to you or anything, just offering a little spiritual guidance, but it sounds like you have a resentment, fancied or real. Here's what I do with that... write the person in column one... women let's say... Write their offense to you in column two... Protecting themselves... Then solve your problem in Column three because they don't have one.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-29-2017 at 08:18 AM..

Old 11-29-2017, 06:53 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,290,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If he really was sexually harassing women his job shouldn't have been safe all the years it has been.

I've got to say, I am enjoying all the folks who have been happily destroying the lives of other public figures who had a mere wiff of misconduct, whether legitimate or not, get a taste of their own medicine. Bunch of hypocrites.
Complaint was made Monday night. NBC email went out early Wednesday morning. When I was management I handled complaints like this for years. We never dropped the axe on anyone this quickly, not even when it involved a criminal matter (drugs). NBC is trying to sanitize their reputation by washing their hands of Lauer.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:56 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,441,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And it did say "alleged". I'm not saying it didn't happen, but still.
Isn't it always alleged unless proven in a court of law?

Interestingly it was NBC along with the rest of the MSM that has tried to establish as a society norm that accusation = guilt. This was most notable in Ferguson where the network pushed that as hard as they could, only to later discover that it was all made up by the accusers.

Now it has backfired and taken one of their own before he has had his day in court.

(In Laurer's case we will never know because it's very unlikely this would be adjudicated in Brazil)

Old 11-29-2017, 06:57 AM

37,867 posts, read 21,962,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You know these guys must have a ton of this type of misconduct in their closets, in order for them to fold up at the first reveal.

I guess they hope that if they do a mea culpa right away, that all the other women they have wronged too, won't come out of the woodwork, and they can prevent a reputation crushing, career ending landslide of dirt to descend upon them.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:57 AM

34,152 posts, read 18,422,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Complaint was made Monday night. NBC email went out early Wednesday morning. When I was management I handled complaints like this for years. We never dropped the axe on anyone this quickly, not even when it involved a criminal matter (drugs). NBC is trying to sanitize their reputation by washing their hands of Lauer.
I think they've known about this for a long time, but for legal reasons saying they just found out about it. Behind the scenes they came to a hefty financial settlement with Lauer, and he signed a non-disclosure agreement.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:59 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,441,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I can't either, and I couldn't tell you exactly why. I can't put my finger on it, but who disgusts me even more is Savannah Guthrie and Katie Couric.

I would like to hear concern and grace for the victim(s) in this situation. Was the sexual misbehavior severe and/or pervasive?

Haven't been through the whole thread yet, maybe we learn something from here.
There was none of that this morning. Instead it was about "their" shock over what has been accused of their "friend".

Seemed as fake as everything else on that network.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:01 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,261,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
While it does seem rather quick, there were reports that reporters for The New York Times had been investigating Lauer for several weeks, just waiting to drop their own bomb. I guess Comcast/NBC tried to get ahead of everything before the scandalous stuff came out.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:01 AM

833 posts, read 516,454 times
Some liberals have even lamented the "brain drain" of "amazing talent" that is being washed away LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies