U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2017, 04:49 PM
 
23,860 posts, read 11,869,441 times
Reputation: 10071

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes they should.
When they have something to pay with, that is.
Their problem, not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2017, 04:49 PM
 
16,268 posts, read 9,090,185 times
Reputation: 6541
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
62% of the benefit goes to the richest 1% of the public. not something i just made up but an easy to check fact.
EC. I do at least give you credit for focusing your argument on matters that matter and not fake history.


my counter to your argument here is that tax policy by its very nature can only impact those paying taxes. the poorest Americans currently pay no taxes. in fact at present we seem to be crossing a line where 50% of Americans pay NO federal income taxes.


Since Tax policy can only impact those who are affected by tax policy, it stands to reason that those paying more will end up being more greatly impacted.


However, I would also add that a good portion of the "richest 1%" as you put it, are being impacted by a reduction in business taxation. As well adjustments that will allow for repatriation of funds earned over seas.


in the last case, giving companies the ability to bring money earned elsewhere, where they have already paid taxes is a good thing for Americans.


in the former case, reduction in business taxes is PROGRESSIVE in nature. Companies do not pay taxes. Their customers do. Its a hidden tax that hurts the poor. by reducing business taxes, you effectively give tax breaks to the poorest Americans. I would think you would like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 04:53 PM
 
16,268 posts, read 9,090,185 times
Reputation: 6541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Interesting (despite your misleading title line). I gather that Republicans very much cherry-pick their statistics.

care to add context? what data did "republicans" cherry pick? This thread is about a "historian" how is either really stupid or just lying about the causes of the Great Depression. Considering neither John Maynard Keynes, Fredrick Hayek nor Milton Freedman agree with him.... you know the three brightest bulbs in the economics chandelier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Alaska
6,342 posts, read 4,361,393 times
Reputation: 3765
[quote=heavyweight;50268426]Republicans are a party of dupes led by the duplicitous.

Iím a Depression historian. The GOP tax bill is straight out of 1929.[/QUOTE

The economy is hitting records in everyone area and liberals refuse to acknlwodge it. Liberalism, the most prevelant mental disorder on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 04:59 PM
 
Location: San Diego
34,991 posts, read 32,020,904 times
Reputation: 19478
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes they should.
When they have something to pay with, that is.
They have the emergency room option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 04:59 PM
 
37,973 posts, read 14,807,755 times
Reputation: 24304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
In plain English: the Trump tax plan are CASH GRANTS to the WEALTHY funded by PUBLIC DEBT FINANCING that all of us and our kids will pay for decades to come. This "tax reform" is like taking a cash advance out on the nation's Visa card and handing most of the cash to the wealthy and sticking you, me and our kids with the bill.
Well put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 05:01 PM
 
14,996 posts, read 13,572,953 times
Reputation: 6896
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Their problem, not mine.
Right.
But since you don't live in a vacuum, their problems will become yours.
Epidemic diseases come to mind ( and not only.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 05:06 PM
Status: "Not quite my tempo" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Bran's tree
10,980 posts, read 4,832,310 times
Reputation: 12363
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They have the emergency room option
You'd be a far less angry tax payer if people didn't have to burden the ER due to being priced out of every other alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 05:09 PM
 
37,973 posts, read 14,807,755 times
Reputation: 24304
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,735 posts, read 1,963,887 times
Reputation: 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
another thread whining about the tax bill? the other dozen arent enough???
What's your favorite tax deduction? Gone... Gone... Gone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:36 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top