Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:14 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I actually agree with this, we should support STEM education. I don't want to support history majors or women's racial economics majors that end up as baristas anyway.
Yup, we agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 10:20 PM

8,114 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Graduate students thirty years ago were impressive... nowadays, anyone who wants to be a graduate student can be and often times they are subpar to those who didn’t pursue graduate studies... maybe without the free rides in graduate studies, we actually start getting intelligent people in there...
Lol, you clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It is much more competitive now than it used to be. I went 20 years ago or so.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:29 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Graduate students thirty years ago were impressive... nowadays, anyone who wants to be a graduate student can be and often times they are subpar to those who didn’t pursue graduate studies... maybe without the free rides in graduate studies, we actually start getting intelligent people in there...
No, but you'll have rich people in there. Or people who take out tens (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars in loans in order to pursue careers that aren't all high-paying.

Graduate students are still very intelligent, but that doesn't mean they're all geniuses. I'm sure that was the case 30 years ago, too.

Not a lot of graduate students are erudite, but erudition is not the same thing as intelligence. There are a lot of average-intellect people who know lots of stuff, and there are a lot of sparkling-intellect people who don't know much beyond their field. And there are people in between, too: erudite geniuses as well as folks with average knowledge and average reasoning capacity. It's been that way for centuries.

But this kind of points to the ultimate purpose of graduate education: In spite of all of the talk about "pursuing your passion" and enjoying "the life of the mind" and "I think I'll study Womens Studies before becoming a barista," grad education is fundamentally pre-professional. Students learn to handle a general field of knowledge (MA/MS, etc.) or a specific field of knowledge (doctoral studies) from a research and higher-order analytical angle. TAs--a subset of grad students--receive training in teaching and research. Not all TAs (and thus not all grad students) actually plan to enter teaching or research professions, but that's their call. There are many options for them in various fields-- public schools, private schools, charter schools, parochial schools, community colleges, and labs, of course, but also museums, non-profits, tutoring agencies, translation companies, social service agencies, software firms, libraries, and so on and so forth. Many grad students can even get internships in these places. In some programs, internships are required (for the grad program, not for TAing).

Of course, not all people who pursue grad studies make good on the promise of converting the experience into careers. More than a few grad students realize that they don't like that kind of work for life, or their professors realize that the students do not have the capacity to move forward. Unfortunately, that happens. But that doesn't mean the experience was a waste, either: some very good teachers (TAs) just realize that they don't want to teach or do other things connected professionally to their degree. That's life: some people drop out of programs or get a terminal degree. It doesn't mean your or someone else's money was wasted--that isn't necessarily the case.

Last edited by Empidonax; 11-29-2017 at 10:41 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 10:43 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Yep. If the Senate plan passes it means tax cuts for me making over 100k but tax increases for anyone making under 75k, and even more tax increases for those making under 35k. Crazy. The exact people who voted for Trump and Republican reps.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:51 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times
more liberal hysteria

Theres already 3 or 4 threads whining about the Tax bill do we really need another one?

Get rid of the AMT!

Old 11-29-2017, 10:53 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I can understand why electrical engineering would be highly valuable to society.

Medical research seems to mean biotechnology which will just increase health insurance costs and most of the burden will fall on employers and employees. Medicare will also have high increases in medical costs over baseline as these expensive remedies cost so much.

Many of the graduate programs seem to either be majors with little demand, ones that will increase government spending like biotechnology and artificial intelligence which will be bad for jobs.

Why should the government subsidize majors that cause lots of health care inflation, increase government spending and take jobs away.

I don't really understand why self-driving cars and artificial intelligence is needed. I mean how much more technology can people fit in their lives at this time.

I like the internet and everything, this is a site I learn alot from but overall it seems like people are having fatigue from to much stimulation these days with technology. I can't imagine how stressful society will be in a decade with the hyper-intellectual artificial intelligence loving elite trying to manipulate the future of the country.

Seems like people are just inventing things to attract venture capital from the rich who want a high return on investment and are willing to gamble their fortunes on different companies.
If you have a heart attack or get cancer and go to a hospital for life-saving treatment...you'll be benefitting from the hard work of medical researchers you just vilified. Also, if anyone will find a way to make those medical breakthroughs commercially viable and cost effective, it will again to a good extent be medical researchers.

If your attitude on innovation was a prevailing one, we wouldn't have the internet, safe & efficient commercial jet travel, telecommunications, or any of the other things you benefit from and take for granted on a daily basis. Not to mention that opposition to innovation is also opposition to free market competition and capitalism that conservatives claim to champion.

Your anti-education / anti-intellectual comments have literally just illustrated my point in my prior post about conservatives vilifying things they benefit from while proudly remaining ignorant.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
wait, liberals claiming trump is selling something to the american people with false claims. remember if you like your doctor you can keep them? talk about false claims.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:56 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wait, liberals claiming trump is selling something to the american people with false claims. remember if you like your doctor you can keep them? talk about false claims.
Yawwwwwnnnnnnnn.........Whataboutitis strikes again. So, you're saying you elected a liar.

Thought Trump was supposed to be an improvement.

You are aware he lies every time he opens his mouth - close to 2000 lies to date.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.562ac911f19c

You got a real winner, there.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-30-2017 at 01:10 AM..

Old 11-30-2017, 01:07 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
The way Trump's brain is miss-wired, if he ever started to tell the truth about anything, his reverse auto-correction would take over and falsehoods would spill out, instead. He's been practicing this all his life, ever since his parents rolled-over a rotten log in the forest and found him.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:20 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Don't forget he promised families will save an additional $2500 on premiums, even if they already have employer insurance

I knew he was lying but I voted for him anyway. People who think all promise will be kept from a Presidential candidate isn't living in the real word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies