Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:21 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times

Advertisements

Too bad Trump's mother gave birth to the Donald!!! He's like Rosemary's Baby and The Omen wrapped up into the ONE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 01:35 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Too bad Trump's mother gave birth to the Donald!!! He's like Rosemary's Baby and The Omen wrapped up into the ONE!

Are we heading into a real-life version of, "The Night of the Living Dead"?

Old 11-30-2017, 02:08 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wait, liberals claiming trump is selling something to the american people with false claims. remember if you like your doctor you can keep them? talk about false claims.

And I said plenty against Obama for that!

Doesn't make the PATHOLOGICAL LYING ,SEWER SLUDGE Trump one iota easier to accept!

Old 11-30-2017, 02:32 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Default GOP tax bill is fiscally irresponsible, and disproportionately benefits the wealthy at the expense of the vulnerable

“We call on Congress to oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act due to our strong belief that this bill is fiscally irresponsible, endangers our country’s economic health, and disproportionately benefits the wealthy at the expense of vulnerable people and low-income families,†reads a letter from over 2,400 faith leaders.

“Moreover, we have grave concerns over the manner in which such a large and complex bill, affecting the entire economy and millions of Americans, is being recklessly rushed through Congress,â€

Faith leaders write to Senate leadership opposing tax plan | TheHill

I doubt will make any difference, but good to know they're making an effort.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:01 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,190 times
Question How is it possible to tax the poor and not the rich?

Please educate me! I like to see both sides of things. How is it possible to tax the poor more than the rich, does it have to do with income taxes? If you make less than xxxx you pay a higher percentage?

Tax bills like this have been passed before...When the upper class pays less taxes, how does that benefit the rest of us? (I'm not referring to corporations).

I appreciate all replies that are based on fact or experience, not opinions. Thank you

Old 11-30-2017, 04:39 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Please educate me! I like to see both sides of things. How is it possible to tax the poor more than the rich, does it have to do with income taxes? If you make less than xxxx you pay a higher percentage?

Tax bills like this have been passed before...When the upper class pays less taxes, how does that benefit the rest of us? (I'm not referring to corporations).

I appreciate all replies that are based on fact or experience, not opinions. Thank you
The long story short version, imho, is that, as you've identified, "Tax bills like this have been passed before ...".

The American people, through their 'beholden to donor class' government representatives have been passing bills like this one for 3 or 4 decades or more. This is the end result.

It's not possible, imho, to consider questions like yours without considering the impact of corporations, FIRE (Financial, Insurance, Real Estate) sector, lapdog lobbying for special interests (on behalf of corporations & FIRE sector, & the campaign finance laws which have 'fueled' the engines of above.

After tax corporate profits as a share of GDP have almost tripled in the last 30 years. Workers' incomes in the same time frame?

'VooDoo' economic ideology, 'trickle down' schemes, supply sliders, et cetera have shaped the economic picture since the 70s & 80s, & got an unneeded 'jumpstart' with, for 1 example, the SCOTUS ruling in Citizens United.

This piece, although written in 2013, illustrates the decades long trend:

Quote:
In the last 30 years, there has been a great divergence between growth and workers' incomes, as the New York Times reminds us today.

Corporate profits have soared, in the last decade especially, particularly because of three things:
  1. Globalization has pushed down the cost of labor available to multinational corporations;
  2. technology has allowed companies to make more with fewer workers, in general;
  3. and Big Finance has gobbled up the economy, as the banks' share of total corporate profits has tripled to about one-third since the middle of the last century, according to Evan Soltas.
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...conomy/273687/

A recent piece by Joseph Stieglitz ~ he identifies the trend & offers recommendations through rational persuasion of why it doesn't make sense to expect different results or outcomes when we implement the same kindsof schemes over & over again:

Déjà Voodoo

A Trump administration staffed by plutocrats – most of whom gained their wealth from rent-seeking activities, rather than from productive entrepreneurship – could be expected to reward themselves. But the Republicans’ proposed tax reform is a bigger gift to corporations and the ultra-rich than most had anticipated.

Quote:
Tax policy should reflect a country’s values and address its problems. And today, the United States – and much of the world – confronts four central problems: widening income inequality, growing job insecurity, climate change, and anemic productivity growth. America faces, in addition, the need to rebuild its decaying infrastructure and strengthen its underperforming primary and secondary education system.

But what Trump and the Republicans are offering in response to these challenges is a tax plan that provides the overwhelming share of benefits not to the middle class – a large proportion of which may actually pay more taxes – but to America’s millionaires and billionaires. If inequality was a problem before, enacting the Republicans’ proposed tax reform will make it much worse. ...
https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...iglitz-2017-10

Old 11-30-2017, 05:54 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,190 times
Thanks. Yeah I'm wanting to understand why they think this will help the country / economy and if it ever has before.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:56 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
lol. The poor pay no taxes except sales taxes. I guess common core is teaching zero is a larger number than everything else these days.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:00 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
lol. The poor pay no taxes except sales taxes. I guess common core is teaching zero is a larger number than everything else these days.
Agreed the poor suck down tax money but pay none.

Thus those that pay taxes get a tax cut, that’s where liberals screech tax cuts for the rich.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:25 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,768 times
It looks as if no one on CD cares; no surprise there. They're going to roll over and take their tax cut "like a man."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies