Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 03:36 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Failures and losers often think that life is totally unfair and regardless of how hard they work they'll never get ahead, so they never do. Connections of course help but if you don't put in the effort you won't succeed. If connections is all that mater explain how so many immigrants to the US do better than native Americans? Hint it's because they WORK harder.
They have generally enjoy inbuilt connections within their families, and often their ethnic communities.

All-American families (white and black in particular) don't really have that advantage. Culturally, they're expected to strike out on their own from a young age so that everyone is doing their own thing, often only engaging in cooperative efforts when planning out holiday parties and the like.

Obviously these are generalizations, but the difference exists on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 03:45 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/stat...47829559922689

Old 01-29-2018, 03:57 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Let's say it again.

The primary determiner of anyone's success or failure in America is effort. Asians and Hispanic immigrants who do not come here with entiltement rights, family networks, or even language skills are surpassing blacks. Whites and Asians who are on the wrong side if affirmative action stay way out in front.

Blacks are born into this country with freedoms, entitlements, and special rigths undreamed of in any black-led country throughout the world, and generation after generation **** it all away by discrespecting authority, committing crimes, making children out of wedlock, doing drugs, and participating in crime and violence.

Any black person can succeed in this country with a minimum of effort, and yes, can even be president.

If Jay-Z loved his own, this is what he would be telling them. He hates black people, and that is why he tells them their problems are due to racism.

Go ahead, call me a racist.
1. jay Z is full of sh1t

2. i cant stand the guys music and believe he is thee most over rated musician of the past two decades

3. racism exists in an institutional sense , doesnt give someone the right or a pass to act irresponsibly or produce kids they cant afford but it exists structurally

Old 01-29-2018, 07:25 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Weird most of this thread being that in the interview transcription posted in the OP Jay-Z didn't say hardly anything about Trump.

He spoke mostly on being black in America and his song "The Story of OJ." The gist of that song was that for a majority of Americans and the world, no matter how much money you get as a black man, at the end of the day you are still viewed as a n**ger.

This is something that it seems started to be lost in the generation of black people of Jay-Z's age and a bit younger. It was something, as a black woman, that I was taught from a young age to not be bothered about - that various persons in society will always view me as "less than" just because I am black and that is their problem and not to take on the problems of other people unless they directly impact you.

So I don't understand the ramblings of the posters on the thread. The one quoted by catchibatches is the weirdest of all since Jay-Z's songs on his most recent release actually is about the fact that black people need to focus on the greater picture and accept/realize the facts I stated above - no matter what we do there will be people who view us poorly. It makes no sense to continue to complain about things, get to work and do the right things and build capital and live your life.

Will note that I saw this thread a while ago and didn't look at it because I knew that it would just be a barrage of negative comments about Jay and black Americans. I was not proven wrong in the thread. You all prove everything that he said in that particular song that they discussed and the fact that our "culture" as black Americans, used to instill in us what I learned from my grandparents and what he speaks of in that song. That in general, whites especially will always stereotype us and denigrate us and see us as inferior, it is important that we not fall into those same destructive mindsets about our own people. Blacks getting away from our culture, means more of us are falling into those same destructive mindsets. I know most of you will never get that because you are too into your prejudices and stereotypes of us to see us as real, regular people. For me that is fine because I know my culture. More blacks need to know it too and quit trying to act like or buying into the idea that society will "look past color." Society created color and won't look past it anytime soon. It is better to deal with the fact and acknowledge that some people are just going to look down on you because you're black, deal with it and don't let it bother you too much and if it directly impacts you in an illegal way, make sure you take action against that direct impact.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:42 AM

389 posts, read 470,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Weird most of this thread being that in the interview transcription posted in the OP Jay-Z didn't say hardly anything about Trump.

He spoke mostly on being black in America and his song "The Story of OJ." The gist of that song was that for a majority of Americans and the world, no matter how much money you get as a black man, at the end of the day you are still viewed as a n**ger.

This is something that it seems started to be lost in the generation of black people of Jay-Z's age and a bit younger. It was something, as a black woman, that I was taught from a young age to not be bothered about - that various persons in society will always view me as "less than" just because I am black and that is their problem and not to take on the problems of other people unless they directly impact you.

So I don't understand the ramblings of the posters on the thread. The one quoted by catchibatches is the weirdest of all since Jay-Z's songs on his most recent release actually is about the fact that black people need to focus on the greater picture and accept/realize the facts I stated above - no matter what we do there will be people who view us poorly. It makes no sense to continue to complain about things, get to work and do the right things and build capital and live your life.

Will note that I saw this thread a while ago and didn't look at it because I knew that it would just be a barrage of negative comments about Jay and black Americans. I was not proven wrong in the thread. You all prove everything that he said in that particular song that they discussed and the fact that our "culture" as black Americans, used to instill in us what I learned from my grandparents and what he speaks of in that song. That in general, whites especially will always stereotype us and denigrate us and see us as inferior, it is important that we not fall into those same destructive mindsets about our own people. Blacks getting away from our culture, means more of us are falling into those same destructive mindsets. I know most of you will never get that because you are too into your prejudices and stereotypes of us to see us as real, regular people. For me that is fine because I know my culture. More blacks need to know it too and quit trying to act like or buying into the idea that society will "look past color." Society created color and won't look past it anytime soon. It is better to deal with the fact and acknowledge that some people are just going to look down on you because you're black, deal with it and don't let it bother you too much and if it directly impacts you in an illegal way, make sure you take action against that direct impact.
Overall I agree with what you have to say, I just wanted to say society didn't create color... There were those who shaped society as an attempt put other peoples in a box, but alas they are only people and do not define other people...

Old 01-29-2018, 07:45 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:

Thank you for sharing your insight, very strong post.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:08 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
Overall I agree with what you have to say, I just wanted to say society didn't create color... There were those who shaped society as an attempt put other peoples in a box, but alas they are only people and do not define other people...
Society is an "aggregate of people," primarily dominated by the majority of people's thoughts and ideas. Since the inception of this country, society in America has deemed that black people were inferior. Society here was and is still based in part on a caste/color (or if one wants to be specific an ethnic) based system.

There is a totem poll of who and who is not generally inferior/superior. Society - people in said country/nation created that system and keep it enduring. Will note that as I alluded to above, it is not just white people who buy into these concepts of color. Unfortunately in the past and even moreso today, black people also heavily buy into this color caste system. It will not go away anytime soon and IMO it is very important to acknowledge that it is there, that "color" is a thing and it is not going to be diminished just because people ignore that it is there. Blacks especially need to be very aware and cognizant of the fact that buying into a "colorless" society mindset is dangerous to our psyches because at some point we will have an experience or interaction that proves what Jay-Z alludes to in his song about OJ - that for many people in America blacks are "still a n**er" no matter what you have or what you do. For me it is important to acknowledge the fact that this is an issue of those seeing me in that way, not one that is mine. For instance, often today, people try to make it the black person's fault that the word "n**ger" is even in our lexicon. Black people didn't start calling ourselves that until white people did based on society's color caste system. It is learned behavior that stretches along centuries in this country and it is something that black people IMO need to really look at within ourselves and stop ignoring.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:21 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
First, I'm very proud of JAY-Z for using his platform to discuss topics on people of less privilege. He isn't talking about himself when he is using his audience, he is talking about the men and women that he grow up with or around, the everyday people that struggle or lost a loved one due to injustice, the unfairness of the prison bail system that target minorities more than white people for the same or lesser crime. That is a proven fact.

If you race baiters don't understand or get it, that's your issue. If you don't educate yourself to grow your knowledge and be a productive situation then he isn't speaking to you or for you. He is speaking to those that can't get on a CNN show or the Grammy stage to speak for themselves. There are a cause and reason for his action and they are well taken by people that are unheard or silenced by a corrupt system. They are well taken by people whether white, black, Hispanic etc. If you don't stand up for the injustice you are apart of the problem. Period.

Of course, there will be a spin that JAY-Z sold drugs and rapped about it blah, blah... Yes, but if we as human make mistakes when we were younger, there is a form of redemption that is recognized in this country. When you know better, you do better. He is the do better. So whether you like him as a musician or not, I'm all for anyone that wants to change this country and the injustices it practices regardless of their past because everyone has a past, including our liar and draft dodger in chief.

Yes, Trump is a big part of causing racial divide in this country. Heck even gender and LGBT issues. He is part of issues of divide, period. More people have protested against his policy than praised them. All of his voters aren't racist but all of the racist voted for him.

I'm sure some of the Trump supporter's will disagree. I don't care. I'm explaining to the people that actually see that and do care.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:22 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:

Thank you for saying this. I had given up even trying anymore.

People are so blinded by hatred they didn't even read what he said, they just started going off.

Even in the one quote posted he's speaking against censorship, saying there is no dialog until white people feel free to say what they think yet we have poster and poster going off on exactly that. LOL

What wierd times we live in.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:35 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Trump dodged the draft.
Trump scammed young people with his Trump University cramp.
Trump is alleged to have harassed many women
Trump has gone on radio /TV and degraded women.
Trump and pop's was sued for racial discrimination.
Trump has lied more times than we can count.

You want to talk about JAY-Z and his past. Talk about Trump and his past, present and future. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. But baiter will never run his past down before trying to slam JAY-Z. Well, news flash, JAY-Z isn't talking to you when he is speaking out to the country. If he is such trash, his honors don't speak to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies