U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:25 AM

8,755 posts, read 4,002,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
How many evangelicals do you know and follow?

That you believe anti-abortion and anti-homosexuality isn't a driving force of theirs tell me you have your own blinders.
I agree with this completely. I live in an extremely fundamentalist Baptist area and come from a long line of Baptist preachers. I am around evangelicals and conservatives all the time. Abortion and homosexuality are the primary two issues for evangelical voters and all other issues take a back seat to those two. For people who wonder how that evangelical Christians can be so devoted to the GOP when a lot of Republican policies benefit the rich (the exact opposite of the message of Jesus). Abortion and homosexuality are why. That is why there is so much cognitive dissonance when it comes to evangelicals attempting to reconcile economic positions of the Republican Party with their faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 09:30 AM

32,601 posts, read 13,749,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
To bypass a government rule I guess. Government shouldn't have any rule over marriage either imo.
I would bet you never had an issue until same sex marriage, besides how does a spouse get health care and iother benefits without a license. I never understood why people care about something that effects them not one bit.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:37 AM

4,760 posts, read 1,771,870 times
The right wing dog whistle campaign to the bigots in their base is in full effect once again. They will probably soon send out anti immigrant and anti African American messages to gin up their supporters even more.

Last edited by MMS02760; 11-30-2017 at 10:27 AM..

Old 11-30-2017, 09:43 AM

31,989 posts, read 16,450,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How about getting government out of the marriage business?
Yeahyeahyeah, we've noticed the sudden desire the part of some right-wingers to blow the entire institution out of the water rather than make it accessible for everybody. Government has been in the marriage business since Hammurabi, and you know it.

Anyway, Roy Moore isn't about to get government out of the marriage business - he's very, very pro-marriage, as long as the privilege is reserved to those he and his deem worthy.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:52 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,567,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Losing a Republican Senator from Alabama impacts much more than LGBTQ issues for Trump. He has trouble getting 50 R Senators together as it is. Keeping that Senate seat is more important long-term than the allegations against Moore.

BTW, even if every allegation is true, they don't make Moore a pedophile.
Just makes him a sicko dirty old man at this point.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:22 AM

7,724 posts, read 4,953,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I never understood why people care about something that effects them not one bit.
If something violates a person's core sense of how the world ought to be, then the quest for reform - to prohibit some odious (in their minds) behavior, to allow some necessary but still forbidden behavior - becomes a messianic, zealous quest. An example from "the Left" might be banning human trafficking, or modern-day slavery, or mutilations of various kinds. None of this presumably affects locals or neighbors, rich or poor - but it does affect millions in Africa and Asia. To elements of "the Right", abortion and homosexuality evidently carry comparable weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yeahyeahyeah, we've noticed the sudden desire the part of some right-wingers to blow the entire institution out of the water rather than make it accessible for everybody.
I've noticed a trend in the populist-conservative circles, where emphasis is less on reform, than on just burning down the house. "The system" is regarded as being so incorrigible and corrupt, that only arrant destruction is the sensible course, that no meaningful improvement can be done before first destroying all that we currently have. Cheery thought, no?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 AM

9,474 posts, read 4,833,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yeah one Senator is going to change everything across the country. Whoever believes that is a complete moron and should eat a bullet.
Eat a bullet ??? Please say you've taken your meds since you wrote that.

FYI, what the Senate does affects the whole country. One Senate vote is huge.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:01 PM

3,312 posts, read 1,862,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
There are a lot of mentally ill people in the U.S., the scary part is most of them identify as "Christian", when they live as far from the teachings of Jesus as anyone.

Sick people.

Plenty of atheists can be mentally ill too but I definitely agree with the bolded. They are supposed to be free from judgement but yet a lot of them think gay people are destined for hell?
The thing that really gets me is why would the creator have gay people in this world just to end up burning them in the end?
The worst part is they judge their own group. If someone is gay and Christian they are still doing it wrong supposedly. There has been a lot of gay people who were banned from churches.

Of course their argument is it's not about having homosexual desires it's about acting on them but if you believe that they shouldn't be able to get married then it is about the desires because straight people can have sex and they cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or