Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 04:46 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You're not citing any logical reason.

In NY If I had a pistol permit I was fine in the entire state of NY except NYC. I'll ask again.

What makes NYC so special?

And speaking in terms of law enforcement... you're not speaking for all. I have 2 friends who are NYPD who disagree...

So I say again. What makes NYC so special?
And why isn't my constitutionally protected right recognized in the state of NY? But my drivers license is?
The difference is that NYC has a few million visitors each year and has concern for the proliferation of guns, this is a problem that NYPD doesn't need. The NYC DA is dead set against this as is most of ;law enforcement.

You may need a car to get into NY but you can do without a gun, millions of visitors visit without a gun you can do the same. A gun is not a necessity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 04:50 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The difference is that NYC has a few million visitors each year
Orlando doesn't?

Quote:
and has concern for the proliferation of guns, this is a problem that NYPD doesn't need. The NYC DA is dead set against this as is most of ;law enforcement.
So their agenda gets to dictate rights as according to them?
That's not a legitimate reason.

Quote:
You may need a car to get into NY but you can do without a gun, millions of visitors visit without a gun you can do the same. A gun is not a necessity.
You don't get to decide what is needed and what isn't. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

That right is infringed the moment I cross PA/NY border and become a felon.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:04 PM

By the way Goodnight I guarantee the background check performed on me when I obtained my CCW was more thorough than the background check for a drivers license/permit...

So...

Let's hear this "basic license" definition. And "run of the mill gun owner"

Old 11-30-2017, 05:14 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
What makes NYC more special than St Augustine Orlando or Miami? Places I've carried is NYC something special? It isnt...
I'm sure I'd be more likely to have to "use" it in NYC than most any other place I'd be visiting.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:15 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Liberal this, snowflake that, tough guy this.

Why would people in modern society be criticized for not knowing the difference between buck shot and bullets, assault weapons and machine guns? What grown up actually thinks not having knowledge of this crap makes much if any difference in the debate?
Right, it's sooooo difficult to look this stuff up. Hell, it gets explained constantly but some would rather sound uneducated in a debate.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm sure I'd be more likely to have to "use" it in NYC than most any other place I'd be visiting.
I'm waiting for the explanation why NYC is so special. They stated millions of visitors, Orlando had 68 million last year. It's not illegal to carry in Orlando so it can't be because of tourism and visitation...

Old 11-30-2017, 05:30 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Gun ownership, and the right to keep and bear arms is NOT a state's rights issue. The Second Amendment is in the Constitution specifically stating it is a right. The states signed off on this when they became states. The Supreme Court upheld this as an individual right. Any laws that infringe on the 2A are unconstitutional. Nothing to do with state's rights in which I am a big proponent.

Can states limit your First Amendment Rights?
Actually, the First Amendment actually says CONGRESS. The 2nd-8th Amendments appear to be universal. Problem is, if DC won't protect the right and a state won't, then I guess the state wins, unless local governments were enabled to somehow protect the right to bear arms in spite of the state. (I suppose they could do "sanctuary cities" where gun control laws of the feds or the state don't apply.) However, if DC, the state, and a city all don't want to protect the right to bear arms in said city, then I don't know what much can be done, other than outright civil disobedience (or not-so-civil disobedience) to enforce and protect the right to bear arms there.)

Old 11-30-2017, 07:08 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
I think you are from NY, if you acquired a permit fine.

if someone can get a CC (which requires a deep background check, and a mandatory class) in one state...should be good for ALL states

Old 11-30-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
That's up to Florida, NY doesn't need any run of the mill gun owner with a basic license walking around Times Square or riding on the subway. Law enforcement here wants no part of reciprocal carry.
we are not talking about "run of the mill gun owners"...we are talking about LICENSED CC holders, that have been through the multi classes, and have had the extensive background check

btw did you know as a retired Military LEO , I don't even need the permit in NY
Quote:
The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004, a little-known federal law that was extended to apply to military personnel in 2013, already gives credentialed troops —*in addition to military police — authority*to carry weapons while off*duty in all 50 states and the District of Columbia,

Old 11-30-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
The difference is that NYC has a few million visitors each year and has concern for the proliferation of guns, this is a problem that NYPD doesn't need. The NYC DA is dead set against this as is most of ;law enforcement.

bolded, not exactly true

Experience with LEOSA Carrying in NYC | Active Response Training

In The People of the State of New York v. Arthur Rodriguez (Indictment # 2917/06 (NY. Sup. Ct. 2006), the New York Supreme Court found that Rodriguez, a Pennsylvania Constable (despite constables not being paid a salary by any municipal subdivision and working more like independent contractors paid on a per job basis), was in fact employed by the court and qualified for protection under LEOSA.

People v. Booth, 862 N.Y.S.2d 767, (NY. Co. Ct. 2008), the defendant, a Coast Guard reservist, was charged with the crime of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree after a loaded handgun was found in a compartment underneath the seat of the vehicle in which he was traveling. Even though Booth was off duty at the time of his arrest and did not possess agency authority to carry while off duty, the Court found that Booth’s duties in the Coast Guard, which were defined “as the prevention, detection, [and] investigation of violations of the law” as well as his “authority and duty to arrest violators” and qualification to carry a firearm, despite its time and place restrictions, qualified him for LEOSA and exempted him from prosecution under New York State Law. Id. at 770

HR 218 "LEOSA" Carry Law | New York City Guns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies