Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:28 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Maybe the players should look at themselves in the mirror and ask, "Why do we care so little about breast cancer, an issue that confronts hundreds of thousands of women per year, that we would take their money and re-direct it to some group that purports to deal with police brutality against blacks, an issue that affects only a few dozen people per year, if even that many? If we care more about the second issue than the first, then it's pretty clear that our priorities are really out of whack."

I don't expect any meaningful level of introspection from the players along those lines, of course, but if they chose to look at the matter in the cold, clear light of day, that's the question they would ask, obviously.
Meaningful introspection took place when the players quietly kneeled. They didn't go and make a huge scene, they simply took a knee. Yall cry about riots, protests, marches, BLM, "hands up don't shoot" shirts, etc...you can't cry about this too. It's not interrupting a single aspect of American life. This is people like you showing your hand as to what really bothers you, seeing a few black people united for some issue and these black people won't follow your little orders. If all the players stood up and raised their pinky, you would respond with the same silly rhetoric about "disrespect" and "extortion".

Old 12-04-2017, 01:02 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Meaningful introspection took place when the players quietly kneeled. They didn't go and make a huge scene, they simply took a knee. Yall cry about riots, protests, marches, BLM, "hands up don't shoot" shirts, etc...you can't cry about this too. It's not interrupting a single aspect of American life. This is people like you showing your hand as to what really bothers you, seeing a few black people united for some issue and these black people won't follow your little orders. If all the players stood up and raised their pinky, you would respond with the same silly rhetoric about "disrespect" and "extortion".
Yup.

No one is buying their bullcrap.

This is all because the majority of the kneelers are black. Not how, or why, or what, but simply who.

Trump knows this which is why he continually brings the kneeling up. He knows he can use this to further manipulate his bigoted, pea brain supporters. Those “ungrateful blacks”.

It was just like in that article posted here a few weeks ago about those Trump supporters in PA. “Yeah, we know he probably won’t keep his campaign promises, but he hates the NFL like me - those ****** for life”.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:31 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Let's be honest, think in your head where you would start if you wanted to curtail the most abusive police forces in the US. The ones with the strongest unions, the worst reputations towards minorities, the strongest "blue wall" that extends all the way into the mayors office.

The big three that pop into my head are:

Spoiler
LA, Chicago, NY

That's the biggest challenge facing BLM and any other associated actions by say...the NFL or players. Large, sophisticated, sustained protest or even say a boycott is NOT going to be tolerated politically.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...Donald-fallout

Old 12-04-2017, 03:21 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,793 times
Quote:

You have badly misunderstood my own position on the "take a knee" crowd, as misguided as their position truly is.

I personally don't care if they stand, sit, take a knee or stand on their heads during the national anthem. It makes not one bit of difference to me one way or the other.

My point was that these lackwits are not actually reaching into their own pockets to fund this anti-police brutality group. No, indeed. Instead, they are asking their employer to divert resources previously earmarked for breast cancer research and patient services, and requiring that the same be directed toward this anti-police brutality effort. This, despite the fact that breast cancer will afflict hundreds of thousands of women each year, while questionable police conduct will affect a only few dozen individuals (if that many) in that same year.

Also affected are NFL efforts aimed at assisting certain veterans' groups, which have benefited many, many more individuals than will benefit from this anti-police brutality effort.

It seems to be a massive misplacement of priorities on the part of the players, one that neither they nor you have adequately explained.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:32 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Personally, I think that this is what it was all about to begin with. Another chess move by the liberals to get people to turn their backs on yet another American made icon, and that is football.
One could argue that the Left is actually perhaps doing the opposite. Take over Disney and turn it into a liberal propaganda outlet and see how many people who loved Disney for decades will turn on it now. Same thing with they are testing to see by turning the NFL into a Leftist tool to see how many Americans value football over country.

I actually think the Left is getting the message that not enough people care (so far, I AM getting that message, though the number who DO care, thankfully, is on the rise.) so they are increasing their efforts.

I think they did learn a painful lesson that they went too far when Hillary lost, but they don't give up, the Left.

I actually think the Left would shake in their boots if they got the message that we'd destroy things they take over if we could weaken them and their agenda and save America by doing so.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:58 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
You have badly misunderstood my own position on the "take a knee" crowd, as misguided as their position truly is.

I personally don't care if they stand, sit, take a knee or stand on their heads during the national anthem. It makes not one bit of difference to me one way or the other.

My point was that these lackwits are not actually reaching into their own pockets to fund this anti-police brutality group. No, indeed. Instead, they are asking their employer to divert resources previously earmarked for breast cancer research and patient services, and requiring that the same be directed toward this anti-police brutality effort. This, despite the fact that breast cancer will afflict hundreds of thousands of women each year, while questionable police conduct will affect a only few dozen individuals (if that many) in that same year.

Also affected are NFL efforts aimed at assisting certain veterans' groups, which have benefited many, many more individuals than will benefit from this anti-police brutality effort.

It seems to be a massive misplacement of priorities on the part of the players, one that neither they nor you have adequately explained.
when someone doesn't care they don't usually call people names like "lackwits".

"they" didn't ask for the money to be pulled from other charities. Two players negotiated some deal with money going to vague "social justice" programs. This is covered in the article. The players that actually care saw through it and walked away from the deal because it looks like Malcolm Jenkins was trying to funnel money towards his own pockets or back into the NFL somehow. Like I keep saying, people are really willing to spend millions to break up a little black unity on a symbolic level. People could just ignore the kneeling and not reroute a dime. Again, yall sound silly talking about "questionable conduct" for kneeling quietly.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:40 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
It's a symbolic gesture that they will not stand for a song that doesn't apply to them and their friends and family. Please don't play stupid here. If you can understand that you symbolically stand and put your hand over your heart, don't act you don't understand doing something symbolically when you disagree with the politics of it.

Police brutality disproportionately impacts blacks people. So black people are bringing awareness to it. Again, you're not stupid, you know this. Stop circling back around to stuff covered in that other massive thread that was stickied.

Anyways, they games still go on as schedule. You still get to enjoy the anthem. Nobody is telling you to stop doing anything you wouldn't normally do. At the end of the day, people like you are upset at something that you can ignore. People are literally being quiet and choosing not to participate something. Get over it. Stop acting like kneeling is personally attacking you. Grow up.
I'm trying to see if there's a solution, and you are telling me there is none... that's it's all symbolic. When I think of a protest, I think there is a problem and at some point there are actions taken that say conditions are met and the protest will stop... or... the protest will happen for a certain amount of time to make people aware of the issue. I don't see an end to this - unless they get paid. It just seems kind of indefinite... and some are kneeling for issues beyond police brutality - see the Houston Texans.

I'm not playing stupid. I am just using simple observation and asking questions based on your OP. I am looking at how the issue can be solved, because there are problems.

CK's initial protest was because of police brutality. I agree there's a problem.

Is the intent to bring the issue to light? If so, it worked - but is there a tangible end or do you just keep kneeling?

Is the intent to solve the problem?

Will the anthem ever apply to them again - or will it be an on and off thing when something happens and this is the method to vent one's frustrations? This is what is seems like now to me.... and it has nothing to do with police brutality.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:17 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
I have even less respect for the NFL for doing this. Just fire any player who kneels or sits.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:34 PM

32,067 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I have even less respect for the NFL for doing this. Just fire any player who kneels or sits.
Are you a christian who goes to church. Kneeling is a sign of respect for god. And god is more important than our flag. People who are outraged by the kneeling of players doesn't know how respectful this is.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:04 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
people care more about putting blacks in their place. The owners have this kind of money sitting around to donate and help people, but they don't. That's one thing people should be able to take away from this. These owners act like they're broke when it comes to building a stadium, but all of a sudden they have money to shut up black people.
Their money is not public money. They can withhold, lie about, or use it as they wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies