U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 12:35 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,629,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Patrick Stewart would break you apart for even suggesting he's in the same category as Geraldo Rivera.

Geraldo wasn't attractive in the 70s and he's not attractive now, but I guess that's subjective. And none of that would matter - he drugged and groped her. While Bette Midler may play it off, why should it be a surprise? People didn't take this seriously then, and many still don't seem to take it seriously now.
I wasn't talking about groping I was talking about how they have both aged well looks wise.

She isn't playing it off, she isn't commenting on it all, People magazine is just rehashing an old story that was already known a long time ago.

It's not the same as these other cases that are new revelations, that women are bringing to peoples attention.

If Bette Midler wants to to call him out I'm sure she will she doesn't need People magazine to rehash it for something to write about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 01:31 PM

9,595 posts, read 5,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Hahahaha! Geraldo could have ANY woman back in the 70s. Why would he want Bette Midler?

Old 11-30-2017, 02:16 PM

1,857 posts, read 915,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
For the clueless among us, Bette Midler didn't just recall this.

This interview was 16 years ago.
2017 minus 1991 is 26 years.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:41 PM

279 posts, read 125,328 times
This is relevant today because today Geraldo is trying to provide cover for people who've behaved badly like he has whether it be Trump, Roger Ailes, Bill O'Reilly, or Matt Lauer.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:43 PM

6,641 posts, read 1,975,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockruhtese View Post
After Fox News personality Geraldo Rivera defended Matt Lauer after Lauer's firing for sexual assault, the internets gave new life to an interview Bette Midler gave where she says Geraldo and his producer drugged her and sexually assaulted her in the 70s (yes, groping is sexual assault).

I think the language is part of the problem - we should stop using broad terms like "sexual assault." IOt's insane to class something like groping or flashing with actual rape.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:02 PM

38,265 posts, read 14,949,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
2017 minus 1991 is 26 years.
You're right. 26 years ago.

She said this out loud, in a Barbara Walters interview which was broadcast on a major network and no one raised an eyebrow.

Bette Midler shrugged it off. What else could you do?

Old 11-30-2017, 05:09 PM

15,358 posts, read 4,053,162 times
Geraldo was the FIRST who was known (by all) that you wouldn't want your wife or daughter to be within 100 feet of. Of course, now that we've found out that the entire Fix organization is a woman-abusing propaganda front, it sorta puts things in a different light....at least in the last number of years.

Using the "logic" that some of you show, the entire Fox company should be shut down, fined billions and dozens (including the top) should be jailed.

"Roger Ailes made her perform sex acts on him, harassed her and used blackmail to silence her"
Take that times 100 and you are starting to get the idea of this "news" outlet.

But, for some reason, I don't think we will hear a hue and cry about this.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:39 PM

9,738 posts, read 8,066,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In this case I feel sorry for Geraldo Rivera, I mean Bette Midler.

Give the man some compensation, therapy and a bravery medal.
I hope he didn't catch an STD from that drug-addicted skank.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:54 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,522,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bette Midler describes perfectly why we are seeing all these long-delayed accusations.

She gave this interview 16 years ago and it was a big shrug, as it would have been in the '70's when it occurred.

Men kept up their deplorable behavior as there were no consequences.
And now that there are consequences, people find ways to start blaming or questioning the women. It's a constant uphill battle.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:59 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,522,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think the language is part of the problem - we should stop using broad terms like "sexual assault." IOt's insane to class something like groping or flashing with actual rape.
Groping is sexual assault. Rape is also sexual assault. Some states do not even mention "rape" at all or have a separate rape statute and instead have varying degrees of sexual assault, with and without penetration. We are not going to stop using legal terms to describe criminal acts.

Flashing can be considered sexual assault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies