U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:14 AM

93 posts, read 60,515 times

Advertisements

I have crippling chronic pain and I still became addicted to the Fentanyl patches that were prescribed to me. It was not intentional. It was not the doctor's fault. They were just trying to help me keep my job and I wouldn't admit I was in too my pain to continue working. But if I wanted to get better I still had to take responsibility for my recovery. The pharmaceutical industry and lobbyists no doubt made it possible for me to get easy access to medication that I now believe should be used sparingly in patients who are not terminal by downplaying the potential of addiction, but now that I am an addict I can never go back and it is up to me what I want to do about it.

I have two illnesses. One causes pain in my joints and the worst one causes a chronic burning in my bladder. That may not sound like a big deal but sometimes it is unbearable. It feels like I am sitting on a beehive and I require constant access to ice packs just to survive the day. It was just too hard to accept in my 20s that I would be disabled like that from something that wouldn't kill me. The problem is that the medication stops working and I needed more and more of it to work. When I finally went to the doctor and asked for something stronger than Fentanyl and discovered they had nothing, I knew I was in trouble. What was I supposed to do? This is how I discovered that active addiction is even worse than chronic pain for me. There are things worse than pain. Worse than death. But I had to find that out for myself and it had to be MY decision to go off the pain meds and live with the pain without medication. If the choice was forced on me I don't know that the outcome would have been as positive.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there needs to be a balance and some reality checking. It is horrible to live with chronic pain and it's not fair, but addiction is worse and can happen to anybody if doctors and patients are not careful. The pharmaceutical industry should have no influence and the fact that it did is a huge problem. It's unrealistic to think you can keep someone on opioids indefinitely without consequences because people build up a tolerance to them and they hinder daily life. I'm not saying never take pain medication or that people who take it are all addicts, I just believe from my own experience that it is okay to be cautious and exhaust every other option of pain relief in addiction to that type of pain management. There needs to be other resources and more support for people living with severe chronic pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 08:16 AM

6,902 posts, read 1,737,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If the pharma industry was so big and powerful, why did they just sit back and accept the tough 2012 narcotic drug laws that essentially killed their cash cow drugs, like oxy, percocet, etc?
That was some give and take so the politicians look like they were being tough on big pharma, it fooled you apparently:

Amid opioid epidemic, rules for drug companies are loosened (2016)

Amid opioid epidemic, rules for drug companies are loosened - LA Times

The drug industryís triumph over the DEA (2017)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...stry-congress/

Old 12-04-2017, 07:02 PM

6,507 posts, read 1,923,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US consumes about 80% of the global supply of opioids. Thus, it should come as no surprise the US has a serious problem with opiates, a better bang for the $.

The average opioid/ opiate addict is a white male, age 23. He uses drugs for recreational purposes, not physical pain. Big Pharm, distributors and pharmacies are beneficiaries.

Did you know that American drug consumption sky-rocketed once prescription drugs were allowed to advertise directly to consumers on television?

Old 12-05-2017, 04:51 AM

10,198 posts, read 2,611,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
That was some give and take so the politicians look like they were being tough on big pharma, it fooled you apparently:

Amid opioid epidemic, rules for drug companies are loosened (2016)

Amid opioid epidemic, rules for drug companies are loosened - LA Times

The drug industry’s triumph over the DEA (2017)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...stry-congress/
I know for a fact pharma was negatively effected by the 2012 laws, do you realize how many scripts doctors were writing for oxycodone and vicodin alone before these laws were enacted? They also saw how much money addicts were willing to pay for these pills just to get them too, I have a cousin that is a drug rep for one of the largest pharma companies, he says what surprised them the most was how much addicts were willing to pay, a monthly supply of oxycodone 30mg thru a pharmacy was around $75 with no insurance, on the street, that same prescription would be worth over $800.

They were raking in the cash with opioid painkillers, they were relatively cheap drugs to produce and people would pay huge amounts for them...what industry (or govt for that matter) does not take advantage of that? and even more strange allow all this profit to transfer to the drug cartels, the ones who are now the main supplier of the opioid/ heroin epidemics all over the country!!

The DEA is more powerful than ever right now, but the problem is, their work is benefiting the drug cartels.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:02 AM

43,422 posts, read 52,413,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yep and 99% of them were never prescribed anything to get them addicted. They are buying them off the street from the get go.
Yup.
#1 way people get hooked is on SOMEONE ELSE'S PRESCRIPTION.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:04 AM

23,861 posts, read 11,851,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US consumes about 80% of the global supply of opioids. Thus, it should come as no surprise the US has a serious problem with opiates, a better bang for the $.

The average opioid/ opiate addict is a white male, age 23. He uses drugs for recreational purposes, not physical pain.

Big Pharm, distributors and pharmacies are beneficiaries.
It’s snowflakes wanting a pill for every ache and pain.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:11 AM

10,198 posts, read 2,611,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup.
#1 way people get hooked is on SOMEONE ELSE'S PRESCRIPTION.
And yet there was far less overdoses and opiate related deaths BEFORE the 2012 laws, compared to today...how do you explain that? Seems like those laws made the problem a WHOLE lot worse.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:07 AM

45,613 posts, read 33,877,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Did you know that American drug consumption sky-rocketed once prescription drugs were allowed to advertise directly to consumers on television?
The US is one of two countries that allows Big Pharma to advertise and encourage the general public to " ask your doctor what fill in the blank can do for you. The other is New Zealand.

The cost of those ads, TV, radio, print and Internet are baked into the wholesale price of prescription medications. Then there's the profit margins of distributors and dispensing pharmacies.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:16 AM

45,613 posts, read 33,877,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Itís snowflakes wanting a pill for every ache and pain.
I am talking about recreational use of opioids.

Then there's the fake brand name opioids. Fentalyl from China and now Mexico with imported skills of chemists. This stuff is not walking across the border on the backs of illegal immigrants.

Heroin is cut with filler in the US. Makes no sense to cut Heroin with lethal doses of Fentalyl or other stuff. Killing your customer base is not good for repeat business.

Slop or the War on Drugs?

Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 AM

13,068 posts, read 4,443,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
That doesn't mean anything. Doctors prescribe the meds, patients don't see a commercial on tv then go in and ask the doctor to give them some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies