Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 06:51 PM

724 posts, read 502,764 times

Advertisements

So I caught a few episodes of Justified and Fargo the other week and this question immediately popped into my head . I haven't really read or heard about domestic organized crime groups operating in rural parts of the US , so I thought I might as well ask this question .

By domestic organized crime groups I mean organized crime groups that were formed in the US , as opposed to ( say ) Mexican cartels that smuggle drugs through remote areas of the Southwest border .

Anyways do groups such as these exist ? If so then where specifically ? What sort of activities do they engage in ? Is corruption related to such groups prevalent in the areas they operate in ? Also what sort of structure/hierarchy do these groups have ?

Old 11-30-2017, 07:21 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,256 times
Certainly there is a criminal subculture in virtually any community. Organized? Certainly not highly.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
Well, any gang or group dealing drugs, trafficking in sex slaves or running burglary rings are definitely going to fit your criteria. There are plenty of meth labs out in farm country, for instance, with their own system of drug mules, sales reps and so forth. Some are a lot more organized than others. The bumblebutt Fargo level of organization is what you can usually expect.

I live more or less in a country town, and one of my neighbors was in deep enough to be caught a couple of years ago with a whole planeload of stupidweed that he was planning to sell. It wasn't his plane and there was no room in his apartment to grow that much cannabis, so he couldn't have been acting alone.

A couple of kids who worked in a local pharmacy started a local opioid addiction epidemic after they stole an extra-large bottle of (IIRC) OxyContin and started selling it to the kids at school one tablet at a time; that created quite a chain of supply and demand until they got caught.

I also know of a high-school kid in the country town 14 miles up the road from my place, whose brother was deployed to the Middle East and was shipping home kilos of heroin for him to sell. All in the family!

The domestic terrorist groups are also organized crime -- the KKK and their competition:

https://www.splcenter.org/news/2017/...-radical-right

Old 12-07-2017, 04:59 PM

I don't consider terrorist groups to be organized crime , since they are primarily motivated by ideology as opposed to profit . Of course sometimes there is a fine line between the two , however KKK chapters ( and the like ) usually have nothing to do with organized crime or terrorism for that matter . These types of organizations are lucky to hold a few marches a year without getting swamped by counter protesters .

By the way does anyone know anything about bikers ? Are there any 1% biker club chapters in rural areas that are involved in organized crime ?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
I don't consider terrorist groups to be organized crime , since they are primarily motivated by ideology as opposed to profit . Of course sometimes there is a fine line between the two , however KKK chapters ( and the like ) usually have nothing to do with organized crime or terrorism for that matter . These types of organizations are lucky to hold a few marches a year without getting swamped by counter protesters .

By the way does anyone know anything about bikers ? Are there any 1% biker club chapters in rural areas that are involved in organized crime ?
There are white supremacist/white nationalist groups who fund themselves by selling drugs, would those count?

As for an example of organized crime groups that began in rural areas, the Dixie Mafia are the most obvious example. The Peckerwoods of the West Coast states might qualify - while they are considered a prison gang they do operate in small towns and rural areas in those states as well as in suburbs and some cities. The Nortenos despite their association with San Francisco originally were formed by prisoners from small towns. Both Nortenos and Surenos in California operate in rural areas as well as in cities and suburbs.

There are DEFINITELY one percent clubs involved in organized crime in rural areas.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:50 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
Ummm, yes.

LA Cosa nostra
Mexican Mafia
Aryan brotherhood and other prison gangs
1% biker gangs like Hell's Angels
Dixie mafia
MS-13/18th Street
Wah Ching

And countless other gangs born and bred in the good ole USA.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There are white supremacist/white nationalist groups who fund themselves by selling drugs, would those count?

As for an example of organized crime groups that began in rural areas, the Dixie Mafia are the most obvious example. The Peckerwoods of the West Coast states might qualify - while they are considered a prison gang they do operate in small towns and rural areas in those states as well as in suburbs and some cities. The Nortenos despite their association with San Francisco originally were formed by prisoners from small towns. Both Nortenos and Surenos in California operate in rural areas as well as in cities and suburbs.

There are DEFINITELY one percent clubs involved in organized crime in rural areas.

Do you mean ( usually ) prison based groups like the Aryan Brotherhood ? If so then yes they are certainly criminal organizations which espouse white racist ideology , however they definitely aren't terrorists . These groups aren't particularly hung up about race like hardcore white racists are either , but I must digress since I don't want to go way off topic .

Anyways do you know of any specific 1% clubs that are involved in organized crime activities in rural areas ? To my knowledge most of these clubs are based in metropolitan areas which is why I'm asking .

Old 12-09-2017, 02:20 PM

Are there any rural organized crime groups active in places that you'd never expect ? Like for instance rural Nebraska ?

I'm especially interested in hearing about non Southern syndicates based on family ties .

Old 12-12-2017, 03:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Do you mean ( usually ) prison based groups like the Aryan Brotherhood ? If so then yes they are certainly criminal organizations which espouse white racist ideology , however they definitely aren't terrorists . These groups aren't particularly hung up about race like hardcore white racists are either , but I must digress since I don't want to go way off topic .

Anyways do you know of any specific 1% clubs that are involved in organized crime activities in rural areas ? To my knowledge most of these clubs are based in metropolitan areas which is why I'm asking .
The National Knights of the KKK in rural North Carolina sold crack as a means of funding itself and committed robberies of black drug dealers. Imperial Klans of America, which David Duke founded, and White Aryan Resistance have been involved in sales and distribution of meth. There is some evidence that Duke may have been involved in coke dealing himself. There have also been Klan groups involved in weapons trafficking and murder for hire. Are they not hung up about race?

Outlaw clubs definitely operate in rural areas including ones that started in urban areas. Only some of the very smallest do not.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Wherever illegal drugs are sold/distributed there are organized syndicates, rural and urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies