Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 11:06 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No, it isn't.

That thread that Waldo linked is nonsense. It was from right wing tabloid Zero Hedge
Last I checked Zero Hedge didn't send the stock market into a nosedive or pinch Katie Couric on the ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 11:08 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I think Republicans have forgotten that insurance premiums have been rising faster than inflation for decades. Obamacare was an attempt to fix something that was already broken. It failed because the only thing that is really going to fix it is single payer but the political support for that isn't there yet. No matter what the Republicans do with health care the prices will keep going up - our political system allows lobbyists for the insurance industry to write our health care laws and as a result the real problems never get fixed.
*sighs*

It's going to fail when you have everyone employed or not, for the model is to spread the debt either to tax payers or to force deductibles to be met so the insurance companies aren't paying out like they used to. The intentions of everyone having insurance feels good, absolutely.
But not in your wallet.

You want health insurance costs to be lowered? Here's how it's done *cracks knuckles*
1. Pass a consumer protection act that does not allow any company to drop coverage for any reason.
2. Become an informed consumer and research what product best suits your needs. Are you single? Healthy? Do you really need an expensive policy? Are you married with kids? Do you want to skimp to save a buck in the short run and wind up paying big in the long run?
3. 0 government subsidies to offset costs. If the provider goes bankrupt perhaps their 7 and 8 figure+ salaried CEOs are to be at fault.
4. Hospitals and doctors. No more than a 35% markup on goods and services. Hospital goes bankrupt and it's not for profit perhaps their board members who vote to give themselves raises annually instead of to the care providers and investing in the hospitals equipment and procedures are to blame.
5. Pharmaceutical companies. Same thing. All for making a profit but come on... you're giving board members million dollar plus raises per year?! They're not in the business of healthcare. They're not concerned about curing or treating chit! They're only concerned with profits. Duh...

So what do we do. Like a bunch of idiots fall for the feels good ACA and continue to reward the system. Thing is the system rewards failure and bad practices across the board. Fix that then maybe we can discuss subsidizing health care/health insurance costs. No different than bailing out banks and car companies. As much as I love Chevy pickups... that Wagoner fella that led GM to bankruptcy was not deserving of 70 80 million dollar per year salary. I'd be upset with no more Silverados.... but I was more upset that we bailed out a company that
1. Didn't invest in researching what the market wanted.
2. Cut costs with platform sharing slapping different badges on the same vehicle maybe altering the body panels slightly.
3. Cut costs to warranty repairs and recalls by cutting the throats of the mechanics with asinine low labor times they would cover. Not one. Not a single labor operation could be completed in the alloted flat rate time in the north east due to the time not compensating for rust and neglect, and it was and is illegal for the dealer to charge the customer for that. Think the manufacturer compensated time lost? Think again. They didn't.

You see everything else we don't like what do we do? We don't support it financially anymore. Take the NFL for example. Ticked off alot of people allowing the protest to go on holding the viewers and attendees political hostage. So they stopped watching. Who's hurting now? Definitely not the people who stopped paying extra for sports channels.

And you don't think the same can happen for health insurance?

Old 12-03-2017, 11:10 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Last I checked Zero Hedge didn't send the stock market into a nosedive or pinch Katie Couric on the ass.
To stay updated on the latest RW BS, keep checking Zero Hedge.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Pretty much lays it out.

Sorry to read that folks had to pay more for their health insurance once the feds insisted that policies had to provide decent coverage, but overall the increase in health insurance costs slowed down during ACA.

Them's the facts.

https://www.thebalance.com/causes-of...-costs-4064878

Old 12-03-2017, 11:13 AM

Also sorry to read that people decided on health insurance plans that did not have their doctors in their network.

You'd think if this was so important, they would have chosen a plan that included their doctor in their network.

Go figure.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:14 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
How about dumping both parties and end the monopoly/collusion they have on the US political system?

Oh yea, that would require people to actually vote based upon the person and policies (meaning they have to research these things), not simply if they have an "R" or "D" in front of them.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:31 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Also sorry to read that people decided on health insurance plans that did not have their doctors in their network.

You'd think if this was so important, they would have chosen a plan that included their doctor in their network.

Go figure.
Pre ACA when I had MVP I could be anywhere in the United States and have coverage for anything. Post ACA with Empire Blue... pfft. Handful of PCP doctors in the state of NY. Tell me. Which had more value.

My acquired health insurance pre ACA or post ACA?
MVP at 35 a week plus co-pays cheap and affordable. Walk into any hospital or select any doctor I wanted.
Empire blue (never mind what I have now in florida) 95 a week with a 2k per year deductible. Limited to a handful of PCP. Because there were no policies available that were "affordable" to see my PCP... none.
Remind you, I lived in rural upstate NY. Nearest hospital half an hour away. Doctors office was 15 minutes away. I had to travel an hour (that's gas) to Albany to see a PCP that accepted empire blue plan I had.

Tell me. Which was more affordable?

Oh on a side note of rewarding failed practices and bad behavior.
Why are tax payer dollars paying for the new coming sexual assault/abuse/harassment cases? Since when did you get someone else to pay for your wrong doings in a settlement or lawsuit? political affiliation aside anyone want to take a stab at defending their tax dollars and not the politicians dollars paying for their misconduct?

Old 12-03-2017, 11:35 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Anyone who can read between the lines can agree that the money to balance the budget will have to come from somewhere. I say this to those who are blinded by many of the things said in the right wing media. It is time to remove the Republicans as the majority party in the legislative branch of our government.

What follows is a quote from Marco Rubio Senator from Florida: Sen. Rubio tells a secret: After giving a tax cut to the rich, GOP will cut Social Security and Medicare - LA Times

If you are retired or close to retirement, the Republicans are at war with you.
The Republicans are rapidly becoming a major threat to the well being of the American people. Just today Sen. Hatch declared that the Children's Health Insurance Program would not be funded "because we don't have the money", meanwhile he just gave a massive $1.5 trillion tax cut to billionaires and GOP donors.

The Republican Party is a threat to democracy and a menace to society. The party must be purged from this land via any means necessary.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:45 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
From what I saw, after. Before hand. I was with MVP was hospitalized with Ehrlichiosis spent 3 days in the hospital. My premiums didn't go up 1 cent. 90 dollar ER copay was all I had to pay. How was that not affordable? The follow up visits with PCP 25 dollars. The perception meds 10 dollar copay. How was that not affordable?

They went up 200% the day ACA was law and I had to take Empire Blue through work while living in NY. For 200% more the cost, and a 1/4 of the coverage. Yeah the cost went significantly through the roof! God forbid I got hitched or spawned. Then it'd be even higher following what my cousins pay for health insurance married with kids. Or with kids and not married.

And went up again the week after I turned 30.

So yes. I say the insurance premiums didn't just rise... they took off like a space shuttle! That was my expirience with ACA. Not some study, not some report, or statistic. First hand real life expirience with ACA.
You talked to the other poster about being wiser than resorting to some logical fallacy to make a point. Well resorting to emotion is just as bad as resorting to your own limited experience to make a point.

Premiums are paid by more than just you and your immediate family. Other people have experience with premium rates before and after Obamacare. That's why you need to look at the picture as a whole, not just the very narrow slice of your experience.

The fact is insurance premiums rose SLOWER the years after Obamacare was passed than the years before. Nothing about the insurance market would have changed the fact that premiums would have risen faster without Obamacare.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:56 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Then do it...........
This may come as a shock to you but most Americans don't want socailuzed medicine.

What they want is their affordable insurance back that they had before Democrats threw a monkey wrench in their lives trying to force the country into a direction that it ddidn't want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies