Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:00 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Topic summed up in one video. Some things never change.
Some things never do.

He who laughs last...

...well, you know.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:44 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Please post your list of important things he has accomplished for us. We somehow missed all of those. All we see are flops and mistakes.
Important accomplishments or not, he's the real president of the US. He's affected people so much that his mere existence has caused people to not be able to spell correctly.

By the way, personally I think one of the most important outcomes of his presidency is that he caused politicians to be revealed to be the lying corrupt pieces of **** that they are. I'm glad that the swap is draining itself, I don't care if he goes down with it.

Last edited by BB_210; 12-03-2017 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 12:49 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
When FOX was started that was part of the premise. Rupert and Roger are on the Record talking about this.

they wanted a product that would push public opinion to the right and they wanted to foster a sense of belonging. Belonging to a david and goliath fight, of course cast in the role of david.

Ailes took their two primary weaknesses and turned them into assets .

1 They intended to be unfair and unbalanced. thus to offset the accusations they created the slogan Fair and Balanced.

2 they knew they were the Goliath. So they cast themselves as david, they sold the idea that they were just one voice shouting against the storm. They portrayed their station as fighting the machine, precisely because they are the machine

Fox/Ailes and later the GOP are a excellent at branding. They are decades ahead of the Democratic Party when it comes to branding, and setting the narrative.

this is why the Dems lose. Dems don't stick together on message like the GOP. The GOP have FOX Churches and dozens of Radio and Internet "channels" all staying on message. Most of the time Drudge sets the tone, signals the story. That gets echoed across the entire Right wing propaganda machine.

so "pride" absolutely stops some folk. But the majority of that hardline 30% are lost. They are fully brainwashed and while they may waver on Trump they will NOT hold the party accountable for their actions.

The good news is the millennial repubs are fleeing the party.
Addressing the bolded, I've long held the belief that the left is far more skilled at branding and messaging. I suppose we see this through different lenses but I will try to explain.

The Democrats have successfully branded themselves as the party for black people, immigrants, or any other oppressed group, be they actually oppressed or not. This is the message we saw time and time again over the course of the past few elections, is it not? The message from so many was that the Republicans plan to put blacks back on the plantation, Republicans hate immigrants, so on and so forth. For the most part, the black vote is locked based on this belief. I've heard that one several times as well. You certainly don't see the so-called oppressed minorities lining up to vote R. Don't take that the wrong way.

The Democrats branded the Republicans quite successfully for 8 years, maybe more.

Let's look at other branding done by the left/Democrats. Neo-nazi is a good example. Oppose illegal immigration? Nazi. Speak against Democrat core positions? Nazi. Bigot. Racist. You get the idea. This has been repeated thousands of times online and even in the media. The association has been made. Republicans are pretty much being called Nazis just for being Republican.

How about stupid? Republicans have been branded stupid by the left. Vote for Trump? You're stupid and don't know what's best for you. Any real attempt to find out exactly why people voted for Trump? Not that I've seen. Granted, my experience is limited in the grand scheme of things. I voted for Trump because I firmly believe Clinton would have been a horrible President. She's not trustworthy and is fake. Look at how she changed her accent when speaking to southern crowds. Telling the black radio host she carries hot sauce in her purse. Way to stereotype, lady. At least Trump was pretty consistent in being himself, whether you like it or not.

It's really past time we stop identifying primarily based on political affiliation. I've heard and read numerous stories of people who were long-time friends who have parted ways over politics. Who one voted for is a reason to ditch a friend. That's ridiculous. Politics has created a level of insanity in this country that is off the charts. Too much focus on things that are largely out of our control.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:53 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Been around for a few years now but our president is one of the worst I have ever seen.
He meets all the criteria for paranoia and being delusional and it seems that more than once a week he is proven to be a liar or exaggerates stories that make him favored.
He is truly an embarrassment to the country in my opinion and I think the man is far from normal.
Trump fires people from his administration stating that he knew that they were doing wrong and then denies it later yet it's in print. Did I mention he's stupid?
As a former vet myself I certainly hope that this clown does not get us involved in yet another war but I think he is headed that way. Recently a senior general stated that he would not commit to launch nuclear weapons based on Trump's decision to do so, yet he is still employed?
Even politicians have all but begged that somebody shoot this guy which I find rather strange?
Trump says that he is all that matters. No, not quite, it's the country that matters.
bolded whats important in the OP, many of us respectfully disagree.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:05 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
I'm from Minnesota. Some people thought our one time governor Jesse "The Body" Ventura was a breath of fresh air and shook things up. Look what our former governor is doing now, suing the estate of a dead military hero. What an embarrassment. What's Trumps act going to look like when he is out of office.

Also works for Russian TV stations. Hey, there's an idea!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ex-gove...or-russian-tv/

Last edited by Izzie1213; 12-03-2017 at 01:29 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 01:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Recently a senior general stated that he would not commit to launch nuclear weapons based on Trump's decision to do so, yet he is still employed?

No he did not, he said if it was an unlawful order he would not follow through, and would advise the president on a diffent method

the term here is " unlawful" and it doesnt matter who is president at that time

Old 12-03-2017, 02:37 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
this is why the Dems lose. Dems don't stick together on message like the GOP. The GOP have FOX Churches and dozens of Radio and Internet "channels" all staying on message. Most of the time Drudge sets the tone, signals the story. That gets echoed across the entire Right wing propaganda machine.
Exactly. A key part of the actual progressive message - not the strawman drivel you see propped on this forum as examples of "the real left" - is one of tolerance and basically "I don't care what you're doing provided you're not hurting anyone else." I don't give a dang with which adult you're having a consensual relationship, what exactly you're doing in the bedroom, which temple you go to or don't go to, or what color your skin is. Those are very good beliefs to have, yes, but it is very difficult to get people fired up about "live and let live."

Meanwhile, the far-right has it much easier since they pander to the well-documented fear reflex in right-wingers and their easily manipulated theocratic urges that often slide into outright bigotry. It is far easier to get people fired up about "doing something about the gays" than "letting adults have whatever consensual relationships they want."

That is why the fight is a hard one for sane progressives, though the morons running the Democratic party are only making it so much harder by still catering to crooked clowns like the Clintons and refusing to show some spine against the corporate interests that would have us all chained to workbenches - children included - knocking out cheap products if they could get away with it.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:41 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Quote:
Been around for a few years now but our president is one of the worst I have ever seen.
He meets all the criteria for paranoia and being delusional and it seems that more than once a week he is proven to be a liar or exaggerates stories that make him favored.
He is truly an embarrassment to the country in my opinion and I think the man is far from normal.
Trump fires people from his administration stating that he knew that they were doing wrong and then denies it later yet it's in print. Did I mention he's stupid?
As a former vet myself I certainly hope that this clown does not get us involved in yet another war but I think he is headed that way. Recently a senior general stated that he would not commit to launch nuclear weapons based on Trump's decision to do so, yet he is still employed?
Even politicians have all but begged that somebody shoot this guy which I find rather strange?
Trump says that he is all that matters. No, not quite, it's the country that matters.
In three years you will have the opportunity to vote him out of office. Not sure what else there is to say.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Addressing the bolded, I've long held the belief that the left is far more skilled at branding and messaging. I suppose we see this through different lenses but I will try to explain.

The Democrats have successfully branded themselves as the party for black people, immigrants, or any other oppressed group, be they actually oppressed or not. This is the message we saw time and time again over the course of the past few elections, is it not? The message from so many was that the Republicans plan to put blacks back on the plantation, Republicans hate immigrants, so on and so forth. For the most part, the black vote is locked based on this belief. I've heard that one several times as well. You certainly don't see the so-called oppressed minorities lining up to vote R. Don't take that the wrong way.
With all due respect, the bigotry of the far-right that now runs the Republican party is a documented fact. Trump's bigotry is obvious, his rise in the polls when spewing bigoted nonsense actually happened, his support from Klansman is documented, and his endless obsession with attacking Muslims is just another example of classic bigotry. The only other explanation is to believe that all those deep red southern states that have many decade long to centuries long issues dealing with "colored folk" vote Republican because... um... they like tax policies that give more money to the rich? Come on - we know better than that. The moment the Southern Strategy was implemented and the Republicans started to appeal to the bigots instead of the old-line Democrats, the entire south mindlessly flipped from Democrat to Republican. Bigotry is the obvious and only possible motivation for such a flip-flop.

As for the idiocy of Trump voters, it is also documented that he did better in the polls with people with lower educations. Now, while that doesn't mean they are idiots, it certainly doesn't mean the Democrats were lying when calling their intellect into question. But if you look around at the people still defending Trump to this day, well... it grows very hard to think of anything to call them that doesn't accurately question just how much wit they still have.

Finally, with regard to the Democrats not having done anything for blacks and minorities, that is some truth in that. But, again, let's stop kidding ourselves. Modern Republicans, who have cast their lot with hard-core bigots, aren't going to do anything for them either. Literally, the Democrats can continue to do nothing for minorities, and that is STILL better than what the racists running the far-right would like to do to them.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:44 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Trump really likes to pit one side against the other to create hatred.
After 8 years of Obama we're used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies