Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:15 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I give to the SA, but I'm not a member.

Can't speak for the Catholic Church as I'm not Catholic.

The Salvation Army is a good charity and I donate as well. I used to donate to United Way through work, but that turned out to be a huge scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 08:15 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
You need to back up this claim with research. Every church I’ve been involved with has always given to various outreach services for homelessness, youth programs, women’s shelters, etc.
Exactly. To me that's a pathetic liberal attempt to downplay the giving of people who are conservative.

As though the gov't would do a better, more efficient job of taking care of people.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:21 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Other areas with mild weather don't have the issues that SF does. Never saw it that bad in AZ, TX, AL or FL. Of course in those areas they don't have as many people that think it's acceptable to crap in doorways and public parks.
First off, AZ and TX absolutely do not have "mild weather", unless you think Dante's inferno would make a fine picnic setting.

Alabama has low population density, so there would be few services, job opportunities, or people around to help.

And Florida actually does have a homelessness problem.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:27 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
First off, AZ and TX absolutely do not have "mild weather", unless you think Dante's inferno would make a fine picnic setting.

Alabama has low population density, so there would be few services, job opportunities, or people around to help.

And Florida actually does have a homelessness problem.
States like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, ... often have low cost or even free places that people use for shelter -- old trailers, abandoned cabins, etc.

It's the states where the cost of housing is higher that have more homelessness -- Hawaii, New York, California,

The other late breaking news is that people leave states with few services and go to states where they can keep body and soul together. They may be crazy, but they're not stupid.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:30 AM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
They would rather spend tax dollars on illegal immigrants than homeless.
Illegals vote. The homeless don't. Gotta keep priorities straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
They are there, because not even the most desperate homeless person, can stand to live in a red state. They're searching for just a little bit of human kindness and know they won't find it, where right-wingers rule.
Conservatives tend to give hand up's. Libs just want to give hand out's. It is human nature to take the path of least resistance. This is why they are in the situation they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You have to remember the liberal mantra “We need other people’s money.â€

Sure, SF and/or California COULD pay for facilities to help these people, but they are too greedy to do so.
The money is there. It all boils down to priorities.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
Bus them to Stockton. Or Redding. Or Alturas.

If they come back, bus them to Detroit. Housing is cheaper there.

If you can't afford to live in San Francisco... you can't live there. It's simple math.

Being mentally ill does not magically make one a legit resident.
If they won't bus out their illegal aliens, why should they bus out their citizens to other areas? They are residents of SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Insane asylums should have never been shut down and these people should have never been put on the streets to fend on their own.
I'm guessing you don't know much about what those asylums were like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Agreed. But you had liberal activists insisting that asylums were "cruel" and that the mentally ill had to be turned out to survive in a complex society they were incapable of dealing with. This is the result.
Concern over violating their rights, became saving tax dollars and they were quick to dump the mentally ill. From what I understand though, the original plan contained support outside of the institutions yet that never came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
They would rather spend tax dollars on illegal immigrants than homeless.
So true. It is about their priorities. Illegal aliens put money in the pockets of the wealthy and the taxpayers subsidize them (both the illegal and the wealthy that exploit them). I suppose some of the homeless have been created by job loss to illegal aliens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Nothing stops state and local government from addressing the problem.

I am sure California, with the millions of dollars it spends for illegal immigrants, can find funding to help the homeless.
Priorities seem to stop them. They aren't on board with America(n)s First.

Spending money on programs that aren't working, $241 million for the homeless. It has nothing to do with the people on the street. 7,000 to 8,000 on the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUtyW4FRn78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Absolutely NOT TRUE AT ALL.
The city of San Francisco DOES NOT look the other way and deny that it has a homeless issue.

The city's soup kitchens serve thousands of people per day.
There's no way you can live there and deny there is a massive homeless problem. It's staring you in the face. The problem is what to do about it.
I'm sure if you have any genius ideas on how to solve it, the city of SF would love to hear from you.
Deport the illegal aliens to begin with. I wonder how many illegal aliens are in government housing on the coattails of their anchor babies. Many illegal immigrants live in public housing - The San Diego Union-Tribune Across the country, illegal aliens live in government subsidized housing while Americans wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It DOES find funding to help the homeless.

Tell me, - in an overcrowded city with the most expensive real estate in the country, and where most working people can barely afford to live, how exactly are you going to home these people?
Kick the illegals out of the government housing and the country per the law.

Quote:
You know what it really doesn't matter who did what. We just need these institutions back.
Why not just get them cleaned up, kick the illegals out and put these people in government housing, and let them do the jobs that illegal aliens are doing, like mowing your lawn, cleaning your house and taking care of your animals which you claimed in another post that was the reason we should continue to not enforce the laws of our country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
They are there, because not even the most desperate homeless person, can stand to live in a red state. They're searching for just a little bit of human kindness and know they won't find it, where right-wingers rule.
No, they come for the weather and with illegal aliens filling the government funded housing and taking jobs that lesser educated generally do.............

Quote:
I often wonder what people like you would do being homeless. Would you live in the forest.
Some people actually do. They move from the forest to the desert in winter where it is warmer living on BLM land where they can came for free. As long as the living conditions are permitted, they'll continue to come for the weather. I lived near Tucson, and a lot of people came for the weather and didn't realize what the cost would be and fell on hard times pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But the unemployment rate of San Fransisco is 2.7%. That's better than a lot of highly conservative Republican cities, i.e, Tulsa, OK: 4.4%
Of course the unemployment rate doesn't take into account the 7,000 to 8,000 homeless living on the streets or those that have given up looking for work.

"For example, it’s calculated that a San Francisco household in the top 5 percent income range earned almost 17 times as much as a household in the lowest 20 percent." per this article which also states that the poverty rate is almost 25%: https://www.counterpunch.org/2014/06...san-francisco/

The poverty rate in Tulsa, 2015, was 15.7%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's not just about being cruel.

To force someone to live in an institution, you have to void their civil rights.
Yes, they don't realize that it isn't just that cut and dried. I don't think they understand what the institutions were like, or how easy it was to put people "away" for convenience sake, although this is what it sounds like in this instance also. Dump them in an institution. It would be much more cost effective to spend the money in the communities. I know these same people that would lock these people up also oppose people like my son with Down syndrome being out in the world rather than shuttled away to be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
It’s not liberalism, it’s the mild weather which allows for people to live out on the street and not seek shelter. Get a clue. We don’t have a law that forces people into rehab and getting the help they need. Maybe we should.
And, if there were laws in place would San Francisco follow them? They don't have a track record for doing that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You must belong to a terrific church, perhaps the Salvation Army?

The ones I've looked at spend the vast majority of their money on running the operation, the buildings, paying the pastor, missionary work to get new members, ...

Look at the vast wealth of the Catholic church. Like most religions, their expenditures for good works pales in comparison to what they spend on themselves.

Not to mention that all of us are subsidizing churches by providing tax-free police protection, infrastructure, etc. at our expense.

With the exception of the Salvation Army, most churches do minimal good works in the world.
The Catholic Church was drenching them to keep them out of their doorways: Saint Mary

This one is helping: https://calvarypresbyterian.org/make...ter-community/

Churches open doors to SF homeless in winter shelter program - SFGate

Homeless Church | San Francisco Homeless Resource | FANDOM powered by Wikia

When I googled, there were too many to list that were helping. When word gets around that an area is "homeless" friendly, that area will be flooded by homeless coming from other areas.

Only 20 to 25% of the homeless (other sources say just 13 to 15%) are suffering from severe mental illness.

10 Facts About the Homeless: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-...b_5977946.html

Old 12-04-2017, 08:51 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Nothing stops state and local government from addressing the problem.

I am sure California, with the millions of dollars it spends for illegal immigrants, can find funding to help the homeless.
Millions? lol....no, it's Billions annually.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
[/b]

They are mentality ill and have nowhere to go. We don't really have many psychiatric facilities anymore so they live on the streets.
Wasn't it Senile Ronnie Raygun that closed down all the psychiatric facilities?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:00 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
That was 37 years ago. Legislation could not have been reintroduced to fund mental health??
what? and give up the opportunity to blame reagan until the end of time?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:00 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,087,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Wasn't it Senile Ronnie Raygun that closed down all the psychiatric facilities?
After the ACLU had them emptied out. And do we want it to be easy for the government, local, state, fed, whatever, to institutionalize people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies