Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:26 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Slavery was an institution, as well as Jim Crow. All sanctioned by the government. So the resources will come from government.
those african tribes better honor the return policy, because the blacks arent working in the fields today

stop playing the victim game, i want my reparations for being born middle class instead of rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 12:28 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
Y'all know it was African's who sold other Africans at auction to repay their debt to African society. In other words, the two options they were facing was execution or slavery.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:30 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
I've done a couple of topics concerning reparations. Even though I've been asked who would qualify for reparations today, I haven't done a topic dedicated to that inquiry. So here are the qualifications for those who would receive reparations for slavery and Jim Crow.

(Important to note: Don't take one qualification and base your comments around it. One must pass all qualifications in order to receive and take part in reparations. Also, this is my take on what the qualifications would be)

Qualification 1:

You must be a descendant of the US American slaves. So anyone who comes from Haiti, Jamaica, and all other black or African immigrants would not meet this standard.

Qualification 2:

You must have one parent who identifies as black, and they are a descendant of the American slaves.

Qualification 3:

If you are bi-racial (white/black, asian/black, latino/black etc.), you have to have been self identified as black since the age of 21. For example if you filled out any application, you had to have checked the black/African American box alone since you've been 21. If you're younger than 21, you qualify for reparations.

So those are my qualifications. Tell me your thoughts, and remember, one must meet all three qualifications. Some might consider qualification 3 to be confusing. In other words someone like Tiger Woods and Meghan Markle who identifies as mixed race, wouldn't qualify. Also, Obama wouldn't qualify based on qualification 1, so don't make any dumb comments with his name.
Blacks were not the only slaves so your whole thing is wrong.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:33 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The government has no money. It gets money from people lik me who did not own slaves or participate in Jim Crow. Why should I pay for something that I had zero control over?

I had a great great grandfather that went to prison for not fighting in the Confederate army. What did that cost my family?
The government has plenty of money. If need be, they print money. Don't buy that idea that reparations would simply come from tax money. Our nation gets most of it's money through our resources. Government has the power to create jobs for everyone, and then people brag about having those jobs and working for what they get. That was what the New Deal was all about, but people don't recognize the role government can play. (By the way, black people were shut out of the New Deal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If the federal government is to pay the reparation, then the qualifier "descendant of the American slaves" needs to be properly expanded to the more accurate "descendant of the American slaves purchased/owned by the federal government of the United States."

Historically, the federal government did not own slaves, and what slave labor they did use, they paid for at the same rate as free black laborers. I don't see a reason why the federal government should pay reparations for a wrong they did not actually commit. But if you can find the record of slaves owned by the federal government and then all those descendants, then proceed as follows...

Now, assuming reparations are to be paid by the actual slave owners, you need to also include how far descended they are, as in what generation since the owned slave, because a financial calculation should be applied given the diminishing percentage of actual slave heritage of each successive generation and also the average rate of inherited wealth from one generation to another.

Realistically, a 5th criteria of naming the specific slave owner, length of servitude and job performed during servitude, less the cost of clothing/housing/food/etc, to properly compute lost income, would also be necessary.

You could even go further and require the per capita income of the slave's nation of origin at the time of enslavement in order to calculate the net gain/loss in income simply being in the United States conferred, even if enslaved (re: Chinese indentured servants who had it rough, but better than in rural, lower caste China, indentured/enslaved Irish who actually had it better than famine in Ireland, etc).

If the goal is to make an aggrieved party whole, you need a ton more specifics. If the goal is rent seeking political theater by people looking for a handout, then "is black, Y/N?" should suffice.
That's nonsense. Do you not know the role cotton played in our economy back then? How slavery fueled the economies of all western nations. Of course slaves produced more than just cotton. In any case, slavery was an institution sanctioned by the government. Then let's talk about how the government allowed the South to essentially re-enslave black people with Jim Crow. How the North kept black people out with redlining. The story goes on and on, that it's ridiculous to say the government played no role in what went on for hundreds of years, and to this day to a large degree.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Only German and Japanese Americans are entitled to "reparations" for being forced into camps and their homes and businesses ruined by the Federal government by FDR.
I feel relatively sure most would agree with you. I do not see how people really think, someone who is a descendant of a slave is entitled to any reparations. and trying to prove who is what might not be worth the effort. Yes, for sure those suffering during war time by being forced to live in camps have an argument.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:36 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
Quote:
The government has plenty of money.
Sorry to confuse you with reality, but we're 20 trillion in DEBT.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:37 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
There will not be any reparations, Period. So that is that.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:37 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
And all the Republicans opposed these passionately?

Lynching was still going on in America in the early 20th century- I don't remember any big Republican demonstrations against it.
You got any proof?

Both northern and southern Democrats fought for slavery.

In the years of the civil war, no Republican owned any slave.

Jim Crow laws were passed by Democrat governors and legislatures without exception.

KKK was created and popularized by Democrats. Many Democrats, like Richard Byrd, were clan members.

Today, Democrats purposely discriminate against blacks through Affirmative Action, importation of millions of illegal immigration and ever worse public schools. Virtually, every Democrat policy hurts black people.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
The government has plenty of money. If need be, they print money. Don't buy that idea that reparations would simply come from tax money. Our nation gets most of it's money through our resources. Government has the power to create jobs for everyone, and then people brag about having those jobs and working for what they get. That was what the New Deal was all about, but people don't recognize the role government can play. (By the way, black people were shut out of the New Deal)

That's nonsense. Do you not know the role cotton played in our economy back then? How slavery fueled the economies of all western nations. Of course slaves produced more than just cotton. In any case, slavery was an institution sanctioned by the government. Then let's talk about how the government allowed the South to essentially re-enslave black people with Jim Crow. How the North kept black people out with redlining. The story goes on and on, that it's ridiculous to say the government played no role in what went on for hundreds of years, and to this day to a large degree.
So, you believe the government could simply print up $100 million for every person in this country and we all become wealthy and nobody pays for it? Is that your belief?

Old 12-04-2017, 12:39 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You got any proof?

Both northern and southern Democrats fought for slavery.

In the years of the civil war, no Republican owned any slave.

Jim Crow laws were passed by Democrat governors and legislatures without exception.

KKK was created and popularized by Democrat thing. Many Democrats, like Richard Byrd, were clan members.
Get ready for the worn out lie that the parties switched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies