Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:10 AM

18,432 posts, read 15,186,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Absolutely false. The vast majority of federal cases never make it to the Supreme Court. Like tens or hundreds of thousands of cases for every one the Supreme Court hears. In those cases, the district and appellate courts are the authority, and not the Supreme Court. So to say the Supreme Court is the only court that matters is a ridiculous and wrong.
What are you talking about? This isn’t me suing you here. These are executive orders the courts are interfering with. Unless the administration drops them, these cases are going to the Supreme Court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 08:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,259,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What are you talking about? This isn’t me suing you here. These are executive orders the courts are interfering with. Unless the administration drops them, these cases are going to the Supreme Court.
Maybe I misinterpreted your post. I see people make this statement a lot, and in the general sense, it is wrong. With regard to the travel ban specifically, yes, the Supreme Court is going to ultimately be the only court that matters.

But the lower courts are not "interfering" with executive orders. They are determining their legality, which is an extremely important part of our system of government. The use of the word "interfering" suggests that you'd prefer the president to be a dictator.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:21 AM

18,432 posts, read 15,186,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Maybe I misinterpreted your post. I see people make this statement a lot, and in the general sense, it is wrong. With regard to the travel ban specifically, yes, the Supreme Court is going to ultimately be the only court that matters.

But the lower courts are not "interfering" with executive orders. They are determining their legality, which is an extremely important part of our system of government. The use of the word "interfering" suggests that you'd prefer the president to be a dictator.
Yes, I was talking about the executive orders. More specifically, the travel ban and the rescinded DACA order. I use the word “interfering” because I do not believe the judges in these particular cases are acting in good faith. If Trump were to make an executive order to reopen Japanese internment camps, I would expect (and hope) the courts would step in. But, not being a lawyer, from everything I have read, these particular executive orders are within in the purview of the president, and wouldnt even be questioned if done by another president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies