Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

No one is saying these bullies are "innocent"

Not sure what are we arguing about here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 08:43 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Oh BS. The only person to blame here is the child. She did it with her own actions. People need to stop this victim mentality. It is definitely mental illness if kids are committing suicide over social media posts. The kid in question has ALL the power in that situation. Step away from social media, it's that simple.
Teens can be very angsty with emotions and hormones all over the place. Their brains are still developing and they can do some of the most stupid, risky, dangerous and fatal things without thinking. Suicide is one of those things.

We lost kids in school to dwi, speeding, suicide, drowning. Now they have opiate overdoses too. Teens can be dangerous years even for otherwise stable kids just making one big stupid unthinking mistake.

I don't totally blame the bullies for these suicides. A lot of times there are other things going on. Also they are raised so softly now that many cannot handle even minor teasing or losses, maybe let the kids have disappointments early in life so they grow some thicker skin.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:44 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Teens can be very angsty with emotions and hormones all over the place. Their brains are still developing and they can do some of the most stupid, risky, dangerous and fatal things without thinking. Suicide is one of those things.

We lost kids in school to dwi, speeding, suicide, drowning. Now they have opiate overdoses too. Teens can be dangerous years even for otherwise stable kids just making one big stupid unthinking mistake.

I don't totally blame the bullies for these suicides. A lot of times there are other things going on. Also they are raised so softly now that many cannot handle even minor teasing or losses, maybe let the kids have disappointments early in life so they grow some thicker skin.
Bold reminds me of something I learned from my suicide survivor support group

Genetic predisposition loads the gun, environment pulls the trigger. - There you have a suicide.

I think bullying needs to be stopped (of course), but mental health issues should be addressed (maybe more important in my opinion)

Old 12-05-2017, 08:49 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, I didn't have social media or email in the 80s. I'm happy you did.
We didn't have social media just pressure from teachers, parents, family and other kids. A lot.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:54 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We didn't have social media just pressure from teachers, parents, family and other kids. A lot.
Not in my neck of the woods. Not like it is today. Even the Type A's I grew up with have acknowledged today's kids face much more pressure than they ever did.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
I can see some parallels in the societal/political polarization (and take note of which forum in which this thread arose) here at C-D; we have two cliques -- one of Social Justice Warriors, and one of tradition-based conservatives. Both are essentially authoritarian, prone to inject religion and/or sexuality into the dispute, and come down very harshly on the most outspoken at the opposite end of the spectrum. Most of us involved in this venue are well into adulthood and have grown a thick skin. That's not always the case in the atmosphere that gave rise to Columbine and Sandy Hook.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:04 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
[quote=Frank DeForrest;50308150]Bullying on social media? Shut off your computer.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Oh BS. The only person to blame here is the child. She did it with her own actions. People need to stop this victim mentality. It is definitely mental illness if kids are committing suicide over social media posts. The kid in question has ALL the power in that situation. Step away from social media, it's that simple.

You may be able to step away from social media but that doesn't mean people will stop making comments about you, belittling and making fun of you- you just won't see the comments. You will still hear the whispers
and the laughter as you walk through the halls of school and I'm sure some 'kind' soul will still make sure that you know what they are saying about you. The relentless and seemingly endless bullying can still cause problems even if you are not on social media.

I'm glad that all of you who were bullied in the past survived but unless you kept track of all the people who were bullied in your school, you don't know if everyone fared as well as you. The bullying today seems more mean spirited and it is on the internet where everything seems to be permanent. It's not so easy to shrug it off when there are nude photos of you circulating on social media. In five, ten fifteen years, you might be stronger and better equipped to handle the situation but when you are going through it, it seems like it will never end.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:15 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,591 times
What people are overlooking is that this girl may not even have been bullied just by random people but those she saw as friends too which is the ultimate betrayal. We don't know.

I unwittingly went along with that once myself. I wasn't even a bully. One of my best friends in Jr. High was being teased mercilessly by others. I didn't defend him when I could have and worse after a point I laughed too to stupidly "go along with the crowd". I will never forget the look on his face.

We went outside and he started crying. First time I saw a boy cry. He said he wasn't hurt so much by the jerk bullies, but by me, his friend who didn't stand by him. I lost a friend that day and I deserved to. Still bothers me and I can't forgive my behavior even though I was a "kid". I sure learned a lesson about how much pain we can cause another even if we didn't initiate the taunts and name calling.

Last edited by motownnative; 12-05-2017 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-05-2017, 09:16 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Not in my neck of the woods. Not like it is today. Even the Type A's I grew up with have acknowledged today's kids face much more pressure than they ever did.
With forced busing we see a 50/50 split. Record number not graduating and with so many who's parents don't speak English they don't show up nor do they appear to give a flip.

But ya, a lot of helicopter parents today.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:31 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Bullying on social media? Shut off your computer.
Wow. Just....wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies