Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 07:42 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...battle-n826381

I thought this isn't an issue anymore? Why are conservatives so hungho on keep dragging this dead horse around?
Gay marriage is a threat to decency and whatnot, but electing a cold molester is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 07:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Says who? The premise is preposterous. A marriage is between a man and a woman. This fad we have now will wither in time.
Although the original definition was between a man and a woman, it doesn’t hurt me or my marriage by changing the definition.

We do change our language over time, it’s nothing new.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:44 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
California is allowed to make its own laws when it wants to. When Texas does it they are cretins.

Did you even read the article?

Old 12-04-2017, 07:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Gay marriage is a threat to decency and whatnot, but electing a cold molester is necessary.
Touching snow people inappropriately?

Old 12-04-2017, 07:50 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
You know, I'm a lifelong conservative, but when people pass dumb laws or do other stupid sh** that make us all look like morons (including involving religion over common sense in policy making), I don't know what to think anymore.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:54 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
"Small government" to most conservatives only applies to gun rights and cutting government services for the poor. When it comes to imposing their religious rules on society, the government cannot be too big.
They don't even want to allow states to enact their own net neutrality laws. So much for states' rights.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:05 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Quote:
I hate to say it, but conservatives won't be satisfied until there is a Putinesque anti-LGBTQ law in this country. Many would want to take it further than that. At minimum, they want gays in the closet, pride parades outlawed, and all positive mentions of homosexuality in the media banned by the FCC.

Conservatives have shown their willingness to support a pedophile. One has to ask themselves why? The reason is because to Christian fundamentalists, what Roy Moore has been accused of is a lesser sin than homosexuality. To them, homosexuality is the worst of the worst and is one of the few sins that invokes an angry God to wipe societies off the face of the planet. That is why they will not give it up.
Personally, I do not find my place solidly among any particular religion. However, in the interest of being fair, I wanted to point out that Christian fundamentalists, as you call them, are far from the only religious group that either condemns or refuses to condone same sex marriages. In fact, there are many nations on this planet that still consider homosexual activities a crime based on their religious beliefs. So please, keep this in mind when you feel you should come down on religious Americans who dare to speak out about their beliefs or draw lines they won't cross based on what they believe. They have the same rights to speak and protest as everyone else does in this country.

However, that being said, I do think the contract between these same sex couples should be honored just as any other state issued marriage license is honored by the state. Because , you see, that's where I feel religious people get all mixed up. It should not bother you that a man/man or a woman/woman are allowed to contract with the state and acquire license to be seen as married by the state. That does not mean they are married in the "biblical" sense. They are simply able to receive the same legal rights that any hetero couple enjoys. And I personally don't see a problem with that. Basically, just leave religion out of your thought pattern when thinking about same sex marriage, and you will see that it really is nothing for you to be upset about. I know that my argument won't work for many who just refuse to think of things in this way, but from a legal stand point, I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Also, I think it's sad that you folks keep pulling Roy Moore out to try to represent the thoughts and feelings of an entire religious group. Last time I checked, Moore was only running for Senator in one state, not all 50. Oh, and we also have the fact that these are still "accusations". As such, people may continue to look at the evidence and draw their own conclusions. Until this man has been charged with a crime and proven guilty, he is innocent in the eyes of the law. The court of public opinion is fickle, and no one should allow their opinion to be shaped based on only what they have seen or heard in the news or on Facebook.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:14 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times
Like I’ve said before, if the Supreme Court overturns marriage equality, we are moving to BC (Canada) who will actually treat us with respect.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:26 PM

18,735 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
I hate to say it, but conservatives won't be satisfied until there is a Putinesque anti-LGBTQ law in this country. Many would want to take it further than that.
As usual, when a liberal can't justify his own arguments, he starts making up "facts", pretending others believe them, and bashing them for those instead. This kind of hysterical ranting is becoming more and more common with the Left the more they lose.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:22 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
As usual, when a liberal can't justify his own arguments, he starts making up "facts", pretending others believe them, and bashing them for those instead. This kind of hysterical ranting is becoming more and more common with the Left the more they lose.
Can you then explain to us why conservatives were fighting tooth and nail to keep the anti sodomy laws in the books until when such laws were declared unconstitutional by the supreme court in 2003?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies