Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 11:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
As are many that we have around the world... Many of those are in countries that don't like us much and/or do nothing much for us...
We already have an embassy in Israel. Or did you just forget that?

Old 12-21-2017, 11:29 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Still worse, Trump’s bullying of the UN may obscure the seriousness of the issue at hand. Moving the US embassy to Jerusalem is not a real estate decision. Recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel challenges the peace process, discomforts Saudi Arabia, America’s closest ally in the Middle East, and sets the US apart from its closest European allies, who have advocated a two-state solution for 40 years.

No amount of bluster can hide this fundamental error.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ews-for-the-un
1) There is no peace process, and any time there is any sort of progress made towards it, the Palestinians say no because the deal doesn't include eradicating the Jewish people from the face of the Earth.

2) Saudi Arabia will get over it because we buy their oil and antagonize their hated Shi'a enemies in Iran.

3) Europe hates the US. WTF cares how they feel? They undermine us in the UN every chance they get, they never hold up their end of the deal on either UN or NATO funding, and like to disparage us for our defense spending when it is our military that protects their nations. Europe should be given the what-for by the US because it long overdue.

4) Every European border is based on the spoils of war, including the topograhical soup that used to be Yugoslavia and the USSR. You think Putin is pleased that we recognize the sovereign borders of Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania and Latvia? So WTF cares if we also recognize Israel's borders/capitol based on their spoils of war? I'll tell you why - because the very effective methods of Islamic terrorists, who have the world s_h_1_t pants scared of offending them because when Islam gets offended, restaurants, orphanages, churches, subway/train stations and buildings in general tend to blow up. So the Israel/Palestinian thing is overblown based on everyone's fear of being the next target for Islamofascist reprisal.

5) The UN hates us anyway, and they could use a reminder in who pays virtually all of the bills.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:34 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
But you are the one trying to portray the Jews as terrorists without justification for the violence they commit.
Here too, again entirely wrong! But all about what YOU claim I am trying to "portray." Whatever words YOU declare as mine. So exhausting and unfair...

I have GREAT friends who are Jews. I have never suggested anything of the sort, "Jews as terrorists!"

Enough already. How ridiculous can you be?

I have simply been pointing out what criticism is justified of Zionists, going back to before the Israeli/Palestinian conflict became what it is today. Anyone who wants to argue there is nothing there to criticize, that even many Jews have criticized, is brain dead.

However, as also explained too many times already, for anyone who can't make these sorts of distinctions, productive -- objective -- discussion is impossible.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:38 AM

1,548 posts, read 912,527 times
I always thought Jerusalem was the capital of Israel. Seems logical that it would be.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:45 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
1) There is no peace process, and any time there is any sort of progress made towards it, the Palestinians say no because the deal doesn't include eradicating the Jewish people from the face of the Earth.

2) Saudi Arabia will get over it because we buy their oil and antagonize their hated Shi'a enemies in Iran.

3) Europe hates the US. WTF cares how they feel? They undermine us in the UN every chance they get, they never hold up their end of the deal on either UN or NATO funding, and like to disparage us for our defense spending when it is our military that protects their nations. Europe should be given the what-for by the US because it long overdue.

4) Every European border is based on the spoils of war, including the topograhical soup that used to be Yugoslavia and the USSR. You think Putin is pleased that we recognize the sovereign borders of Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania and Latvia? So WTF cares if we also recognize Israel's borders/capitol based on their spoils of war? I'll tell you why - because the very effective methods of Islamic terrorists, who have the world s_h_1_t pants scared of offending them because when Islam gets offended, restaurants, orphanages, churches, subway/train stations and buildings in general tend to blow up. So the Israel/Palestinian thing is overblown based on everyone's fear of being the next target for Islamofascist reprisal.

5) The UN hates us anyway, and they could use a reminder in who pays virtually all of the bills.
There is merit in all you itemize, and there is counter that I suspect would mostly "fall on deaf ears" here, but ultimately we simply can't believe all who "hates" us feel the way they do for no reason whatsoever.

Life has taught me that people will disagree about things sure, but when people begin to hate other people, there is usually some reason much like "where there is smoke there is fire."

Objectivity is at least recognizing where and how some of that hatred began, continues and/or worsens. If your list, for example, included at least some of the other side of the story, "I know we did this that was wrong, but they did that" sort of inclusion, I would have an easier time concluding as you do, but I can't do that. Not objectively speaking anyway...

In any case, as to what the Saudis "will get over," I wish I could view these problems so simply. The issue of unrest among the Shiites, Sunnis, Israelis, Palestinians, Arabs..., is always a powder keg waiting to explode yet again, and at great cost to the world every time, all the time. Yes, history is what it is and all too often it is sad, but if that argument is supposed to stop our governments from doing right rather than wrong then we are surely doomed for not more of the same but worse, because now we've got the nuclear dynamic to worry about too.

The UN doesn't "hate us" BTW, and at least ONE reason we should pay most of the bill is because we have a vested interest in fostering world cooperation. We are something like 5 percent the world's population consuming something like 40 percent of the energy, by far the world's worst polluter since the Industrial revolution, nearly $5 trillion in trade (imports/exports) with foreign countries -- per year! #1 arms exporter. Do the math...

Right. Back to the game on TV...

Last edited by LearnMe; 12-21-2017 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 11:50 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Trump's failed Jerusalem policy was thoroughly rejected today at the UN. Only nine countries backed his stupid declaration. Trump was humiliated and insulted by the world leaders in speeches. The US is losing influence and prestige by the day with this incompetent jackass Trump in the White House.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:50 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Never thought I would ever see the USA as a rogue nation in the eyes of the world. But it's happened. Our stature is falling precipitously. Where we used to be the beacon all nations looked to, now we have a president that they're ignoring because he's so far off the rails.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:51 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Hopeless...

So you would rather continue with the same old insulting childish noise rather than focus on the facts? Don't you ever tire of that sort of thing???

I point out how you "put words in my mouth," and you just hop, skip and bump along without so much as a word of acknowledgement or apology. I don't "laughingly talk" about being objective. I'm trying to insist on being objective. Balance, and that requires understanding of BOTH sides, just as many leaders past and present have been trying to insist upon! You call it "blabber," and I'm supposed to bother with you any further?!? Ridiculous this...

The British did not turn "anti-Jewish!" They simply began to feel less comfortable with how the Zionist leaders were furthering their cause in Palestine, because the British were also not "anti-Palestinian" or "anti-Arab!" They saw what trouble and further wrong-doing was coming...

Any of that comprehensible for you?

Facts? I am the one who has provided the links to things like the white paper explaining how your view of things is skewed and without context or support , while you are the one who has consistently whined when asked to provide facts and has refused to do so with the claim that I would just find some excuse to ignore them .

So you have become quite laughable. What is comprehensible is that you will avoid an actual discussion of facts like the plague.

Ah well, I tried. I gave a link and ask you to comment, and you do this. So as I said yesterday, and should have learned better already, you are a waste of time.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump's failed Jerusalem policy was thoroughly rejected today at the UN. Only nine countries backed his stupid declaration. Trump was humiliated and insulted by the world leaders in speeches. The US is losing influence and prestige by the day with this incompetent jackass Trump in the White House.

Should we care that other countries didn't back us in moving OUR embassy to the actual capital of Israel?

Old 12-21-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
We already have an embassy in Israel. Or did you just forget that?

Have you forgotten that the embassy is not in the capital, as it is in every other country, and that we are simply shifting the way we do business in Israel to the way we do it everywhere else?

Why this obsession with your side with pretending we are showing some sort of favoritism with Jerusalem and Israel? We are simply moving to the norm per every other country we have an embassy in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies