U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2017, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,733 posts, read 1,962,883 times
Reputation: 5162

Advertisements

In the weeks leading up to the tax bill's passage the media was broadcasting this and that about who was being forced to commit sex acts almost to the exclusion of all else. It even appeared that Senator Gillebrand had a part in the distraction by dredging up Bill Clinton's affair with Lewinsky. I personally noticed NBC promising to talk about the tax bill and then running out of time twice within days of the vote.

Is this a coincidence that one of the most pieces of tax legislation in twenty years gets crowded out by nonsense? If my observation is true it shows that the media is very far from independent and had their marching orders.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2017, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,292 posts, read 15,361,858 times
Reputation: 11269
Marching orders from whom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 08:16 AM
 
9,738 posts, read 8,040,224 times
Reputation: 6343
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Marching orders from whom?
Those that don't want the public to understand the bill and must then rely on their favorite talking head who is against it to paraphrase it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,292 posts, read 15,361,858 times
Reputation: 11269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Those that don't want the public to understand the bill and must then rely on their favorite talking head who is against it to paraphrase it.
Who doesn't want the public to understand the bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Posting from my space yacht.
7,954 posts, read 3,119,031 times
Reputation: 14396
To the extent that the assertion made in the OP is true, it's possible that the reason is that the media feels it has a better chance of getting a "win" for their agenda with the sex scandals than they do with the tax bill. No amount of screaming and yelling will effect the passage of the tax bill, but if they scream and yell about the sex scandals, maybe they can steal a senate seat for the DNC in Alabama and maybe they can continue to set the stage for what they hope will be Trump's downfall, if Mueller fails at his task. Also, don't forget...sex sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 09:14 AM
 
11,946 posts, read 5,675,225 times
Reputation: 6950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
In the weeks leading up to the tax bill's passage the media was broadcasting this and that about who was being forced to commit sex acts almost to the exclusion of all else. It even appeared that Senator Gillebrand had a part in the distraction by dredging up Bill Clinton's affair with Lewinsky. I personally noticed NBC promising to talk about the tax bill and then running out of time twice within days of the vote.

Is this a coincidence that one of the most pieces of tax legislation in twenty years gets crowded out by nonsense? If my observation is true it shows that the media is very far from independent and had their marching orders.

What are your thoughts?
"My thoughts" are that we no long have an operational "News" Media. I read very, very few "Investigational" reports -- I read a lot of The Outrage of the Day.

It's almost all:
Russia-Russia-Russia
IMPEACH! IMPEACH! IMPEACH!
Sex Scandals
Click Bait
Racist-Racist-Racist
Partisan-Partisan-Partisan

We used to actually have Reporters, now it's all Opinionators and Political Pundits.
IF they choose to Drop the Ball on Real News ....... that is a choice they made.

It's basically the same thing around here - very few people actually interested in NEWS.
People live in Echo Chambers and repeat what the current Media (which is not news) feeds them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,733 posts, read 1,962,883 times
Reputation: 5162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Marching orders from whom?
Don't be dense. The people who are really control our "democracy' like Koch, Olin, Coors, and Devos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,733 posts, read 1,962,883 times
Reputation: 5162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Who doesn't want the public to understand the bill?
Well junior, when you want people to understand a bill, you don't publish it four hours before the final vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,292 posts, read 15,361,858 times
Reputation: 11269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Don't be dense. The people who are really control our "democracy' like Koch, Olin, Coors, and Devos.
Did they just get control this year, or did they control our democracy during the Obama years as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Well junior, when you want people to understand a bill, you don't publish it four hours before the final vote.
Maybe they are following Pelosi's guidelines for understanding what's in a bill...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-05TLiiLU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,733 posts, read 1,962,883 times
Reputation: 5162
Default Do you read books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Did they just get control this year, or did they control our democracy during the Obama years as well?
For two years Obama was a setback for them. For six years they stifled his agenda. Remember that Obama wanted to give you overtime pay at 50K a year. Didn't FOX news tell you that? The wealthy are back on track with this tax bill. For every hundred that you pay less in taxes, the very rich are getting back millions.

Read "Dark Money" it explains how the Citizens United decisions enabled the billionaires to pump more money than ever into politics than ever.

Do you read books?
Have you ever asked yourself why you take sides with the billionaires against the rest of us so often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top