Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I don't think economics is understood here.

American, with a work force of maybe 100 million decent workers, could not even start to supply the world with everything from food to consumer goods to raw materials, etc.

In fact, we wouldn't want to.

If your desire is for your child or you to work in a factory for $20 an hour for their entire life, then you probably shouldn't be on the internet discussing these matters. The world is complex.

We told the world for a century or more - do like us and you can be like us....and now people want them to starve and get around in rickshaws again? They have just as much right to the world's resources as you do - and just as much right to health and happiness.....

The problem with the USA is we sold out. We have no government, no policy and no one who cares about anything other than money and grabbing puzzy.

That means it's the end for us. You have to have a national creed to succeed - some kind of shared values. Americans lack these other than a taste for fatty foods and opiates.
Excellent post, especially the bold text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 02:22 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
Currently China has the second largest GDP just behind the US.

China is still a developing country. Her GDP per capita is only 20% of the America's. And this percentage will continue to shoot up.

Imagine when China's GDP per capita is 30% of the America's, it will mean China overtakes the US as the largest economy.

What about 40%? Then China's GDP will about roughly 1.5 times of American's.

What to do, what to do, what to do

Old 12-06-2017, 02:23 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,668,264 times
Considering how much the Trump family has outsourced to China, they have helped fund China's military machine as well.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Quite right - and their GDP, IMHO, will not be based upon ripping people off for health care. Sure, they have corruption, but they are rooting a lot of it out and all countries have it. If corruption can be kept to 10% or so (a study came up with that figure), you can get amazing government if you have decent decision makers.

But this joke of a administration and congress we have - hardly a thinker in the bunch, and the few that do and did think are conspiracy nut thinkers (Flynn, Bannon)

We are done for. Finished. I would like to personally address a joint session and the American people and school them on the priorities we need to have.

Shiny objects have ruined us.

A shiny object is like "Hey, we are 20 trillion in debt, but someone said Al Franken tried to pinch their fully clothed butt 11 years ago....obviously we know which story is more important!)......

Or "The Russians bought the election - period - but Putin is well liked in his country so what is wrong with him trying to make us happy too".....

I could write a white paper in a weekend that would MAGA if we did 50% of it. But we won't because our society is set up as a selfish society. In history, the winners have always been those who banded together - not who drove themselves apart.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:31 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Quite right - and their GDP, IMHO, will not be based upon ripping people off for health care. Sure, they have corruption, but they are rooting a lot of it out and all countries have it. If corruption can be kept to 10% or so (a study came up with that figure), you can get amazing government if you have decent decision makers.

But this joke of a administration and congress we have - hardly a thinker in the bunch, and the few that do and did think are conspiracy nut thinkers (Flynn, Bannon)

We are done for. Finished. I would like to personally address a joint session and the American people and school them on the priorities we need to have.

Shiny objects have ruined us.

A shiny object is like "Hey, we are 20 trillion in debt, but someone said Al Franken tried to pinch their fully clothed butt 11 years ago....obviously we know which story is more important!)......

Or "The Russians bought the election - period - but Putin is well liked in his country so what is wrong with him trying to make us happy too".....

I could write a white paper in a weekend that would MAGA if we did 50% of it. But we won't because our society is set up as a selfish society. In history, the winners have always been those who banded together - not who drove themselves apart.
As a Trump voter, I have to say that I agree with every word you posted here. Great posts by the way.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:44 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,674,723 times
Don't blame the retailer. It is American citizens who made China rich. It was and is nothing more than Americans voting for foreign goods by buying them.

America now ranks number one in medical innovations and 37th in medical care with a third world country ranked higher. We are well on our way to total poverty for the masses while the top 1% lavishes in wealth. The greed of US pharmaceuticals has created the worst drug addiction epidemic in history resulting in massive deaths across the country. It's all about greed.

There were many warnings in the 60's and 70's about buying foreign goods but that fell on deaf ears.
Americans have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:46 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,482,550 times
I don't shop at Walmart or Target.

What I consume is made in America so...

Old 12-06-2017, 02:56 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,978,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

China is still a developing country. Her GDP per capita is only 20% of the America's. And this percentage will continue to shoot up.

Imagine when China's GDP per capita is 30% of the America's, it will mean China overtakes the US as the largest economy.

I will tell you a story.

Recall, that Nixon recognized China in 1973, if I recall. Trade with China began in 1980.

When I visited China in November 2008, I met (while in Beijing) a businessman whom had first visited Beijing in 1981. He had stayed at the only 'western style' hotel in the city, and noted that there were very few cars (all driving officials around), and that the city was virtually dark at night due to most of the neighborhoods (I forget the name for them) lacking electricity. In those days, China was still considered a 'third world' country.

When I visited in 2008, I witnessed the almost insane building that was going on. Our guide mentioned that every single day of the year, 1,000 new drivers were hitting the road in Beijing alone.

Yes, China is still behind us economically, but it is astonishing what this Communist country has achieved in less than 40 years. Last I read, out of a population of some 1.3 billion people, 900 million still live in rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies