Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:31 PM

26,492 posts, read 15,070,512 times

Advertisements

LeBron James is a role model.

-He works hard at his craft

-He is NOT known as a dirty player

-He gives back to the community

Welcome to the LeBron James Family Foundation!

The Philanthropist

-He is a semi-vocal Christian, which should appease the church goers

-He has no off field crimes or accusations of crimes

-He has no off field scandals or affairs or accusations

-He makes it a point to be seen being a good parent, which helps others emulate that trait

-He has no accusations of cheating within his sport

-He credits other players not only on his team and within his sport, but other players in different sports

Isn't this what you want from a pro-athlete?

I have heard a lot of people for years say that they hate him. I have also seen some websites discussing this hate here, here, and here. When I press people face to face for specifics they often can't offer anything at all, when they do, they have offered the following:

(1) He skipped college and went right to the pros...who cares. It would almost be foolish to turn down instant millions to go to college. What percentage of people wouldn't take up that offer. Crap, if some guy wanted to pay me millions of dollars to play basketball when I was 18 in place of going to college, I would have taken it instantly.

And speaking of college, besides helping poor kids afford college with his charity...he is going to college to earn his degree so that his young fans see that education is important.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...-school-101316

(2) He let ESPN talk him into "the decision" to make his change of teams into a TV spectacle.

People of all income groups change their jobs for any number of reasons: money, location, new challenge, less hours...who cares if he wanted to try a different team. Is it that big of a deal when it comes to LeBron as a person that ESPN made a spectacle of the decision? He should have known that it wouldn't have been good tact to make the decision on TV, but we are all imperfect and if this is his biggest strike...then he is sitting pretty good.

(3) He comments on politics...but so do a lot of famous people (Hollywood actors, other athletes, businessmen, scientists, etc...) He doesn't comment too often and it really isn't over the top. I tend to disagree with some of his positions, but I don't mind hearing a differing position honestly and fairly stated in the right context.

Is it worth hating everyone who states a contrary position on political issues? What kind of way is that to go through life?

How is LeBron not a role model athlete? Why is he hated by so many people I run into? Envy?

Last edited by michiganmoon; 12-28-2017 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 09:37 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
He walks like crazy and gets away with it under the "star treatment" policy.

Then there's the "not one, not two, not three, not four . . . championships" thing.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:38 PM

16,584 posts, read 8,605,677 times
LeBron is a race baiter, and like Obama injects himself into anything racial when it comes to blacks. Whether it be Trayvon, Ferguson, etc. he is likely to stick his noce in. He is like Sharpton, only not as obnoxious.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:49 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
A high school graduate with a one in a million career is, by definition, not a role model. Absence of misbehavior is normal, not role model behavior. James's role model message amounts to "be tall, shoot hoops, act normal, and maybe one day you too can earns millions of dollars". It's barely perceptible from the message that a one in a million rapper sends.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:56 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
I hated Lebron for just a minute because I am a Miami Heat fan and he delivered a NBA championship then fled back to Cleveland but that is silly stuff.
I admire him for what he does off the court.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
He walks like crazy and gets away with it under the "star treatment" policy.
The NBA official in charge of instructing referees tells the refs to allow players 2 steps in spite of the rules.

The NBA is letting a lot of players get away with it, because they think it is good. Should you be mad at the NBA who is clearly encouraging players to travel for more exciting plays - or 1 individual player?

NBA Traveling: "We Really Don't Reference the Rulebook" - TrueHoop- ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Then there's the "not one, not two, not three, not four . . . championships" thing.
He was at a hype rally to excite fans...who cares given the context.

He is not the first or last pro-athlete to predict wins or championships for his team. The Detroit Pistons had Rasheed Wallace guarantee a win in the finals...no significant drama. Part of Joe Namath's lore is guaranteeing a Super Bowl. Part of Jim Harbaugh's lore is as a QB in the 1980s he guaranteed a Rose Bowl appearance and a win over the Buckeyes and then delivered on both. Etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
LeBron is a race baiter, and like Obama injects himself into anything racial when it comes to blacks. Whether it be Trayvon, Ferguson, etc. he is likely to stick his noce in. He is like Sharpton, only not as obnoxious.
The media asks him a lot of questions, they were upset that Jordan was largely silent...who cares if he gives answers. I don't think he is a race-baiter - I disagree with some of his positions and I think some of his positions are skewed, but I don't think he is drumming up racial hatred or anything like it.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
A high school graduate with a one in a million career is, by definition, not a role model. Absence of misbehavior is normal, not role model behavior. James's role model message amounts to "be tall, shoot hoops, act normal, and maybe one day you too can earns millions of dollars". It's barely perceptible from the message that a one in a million rapper sends.
He is a role model.

He gives a lot back. He just gave $41,500,000.00 for scholarships to poor kids. He gives millions to charities. He doesn't have to give a penny, I'd bet most athletes don't give as high of a percentage of their income to charity as he does.

Lebron James: Five Humongous Charitable Donations

Many athletes make bad choices with their millions, attention, and free time...he never has.

He says education is important and goes back to school.

How is that not a role model in society? He is successful at his career, gives back to the less fortunate, and stays crime free...that is a role model citizen, period.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:05 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
He is a black man who is extremely successful at his job and dared to speak out about race and politics in America.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that Trump and many other Republicans constantly blast Colin Kaepernick, but haven't said a word about Gregg Popovich or Steve Kerr? Those two have said many negative things about Trump, but they also happen to be white. Why aren't Republicans talking about leading a big NBA boycott because of that?

Old 12-28-2017, 10:11 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
He is a black man who is extremely successful at his job and dared to speak out about race and politics in America.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that Trump and many other Republicans constantly blast Colin Kaepernick, but haven't said a word about Gregg Popovich or Steve Kerr? Those two have said many negative things about Trump, but they also happen to be white. Why aren't Republicans talking about leading a big NBA boycott because of that?
Because they're not protesting on TV while the National Anthem is playing.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

To be fair...Kaepernick's anthem protest is far more visible and repetitive, additionally he has worn police/pig bacon socks, done activities with BLM, and made more extreme statements. I think Kaepernick is further our on a limb than LeBron, Kerr, or Popovich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies