Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:46 AM

18,986 posts, read 9,033,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Absolutely, and likewise Walter Scott's actions showed he was a moron who should have known not to try to run away because bad things happen when you don't comply with police instructions.

Now he's dead
An unarmed suspect should never be shot in the back five times. Bad things like this "happen" when you have bad cops. Period.

I give the cop absolutely no leeway here. What he did was commit murder. Plain and simple.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:21 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,060,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
An unarmed suspect should never be shot in the back five times. Bad things like this "happen" when you have bad cops. Period.

I give the cop absolutely no leeway here. What he did was commit murder. Plain and simple.
And as I recall from watching the video of the shooting, Slager fired 5 or 6 shots in rapid succession, then paused before firing the last shot. It seemed to me that he paused to adjust his aim and grip, to draw a bead on Scott's back. This would refute any nonsense about "heat of the moment", "adrenaline pumping", "automatic pilot", etc. After shooting an unarmed fleeing man 5 or 6 times in the back he paused to adjust his aim so as to deliver an accurate shot to a man who was already probably mortally wounded. This was a cold blooded execution.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,155,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
And as I recall from watching the video of the shooting, Slager fired 5 or 6 shots in rapid succession, then paused before firing the last shot. It seemed to me that he paused to adjust his aim and grip, to draw a bead on Scott's back. This would refute any nonsense about "heat of the moment", "adrenaline pumping", "automatic pilot", etc. After shooting an unarmed fleeing man 5 or 6 times in the back he paused to adjust his aim so as to deliver an accurate shot to a man who was already probably mortally wounded. This was a cold blooded execution.
And then planted a weapon on him.

Could’ve gotten away with it, too if it wasn’t on video.

But hey, the system’s fixed!!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:27 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,332,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
And then planted a weapon on him.

Could’ve gotten away with it, too if it wasn’t on video.

But hey, the system’s fixed!!
He almost did, it took a few days for the video to come out and just like you would expect he was getting 100% support from his fellow cops and right wing media. If the video didn't exist, he would have gotten away with murder and most likely been lauded as a hero.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:00 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,658,721 times
Quote:
An unarmed suspect should never be shot in the back five times. Bad things like this "happen" when you have bad cops.
Yup, so the moral of the story is never take a chance and always follow police instructions as legally required to do. This victim here was shot in the back in cold blood without cause. In the vast majority of other shootings, black and white, the victim was a criminal with a history who put his/her hands where they shouldn't have been.

You should expect to get shot when that happens

period.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:03 PM

20,410 posts, read 12,332,798 times
Quote:

Slager wont serve near enough time. he should never get out of jail.

you are right that an unarmed man should never be shot in the back 1 time or 5 times. but lets be real here. Scott would be alive had he complied with this cop. now I would venture to say sadly enough, the day would come when someone else got gunned down by Slager. but Scott would be a live.

Its very very sad. We still have a situation where some in America believe their best option is to run. That just isn't the case.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:09 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,033,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yup, so the moral of the story is never take a chance and always follow police instructions as legally required to do. This victim here was shot in the back in cold blood without cause. In the vast majority of other shootings, black and white, the victim was a criminal with a history who put his/her hands where they shouldn't have been.

You should expect to get shot when that happens

period.
No, the moral of the story is not that citizens should expect that their police force will act in unlawful ways with deadly force when it is not warranted, and therefore we should adjust our behavior accordingly. By claiming that as the moral you are giving the police carte blanche to continue this behavior while putting the onus on everyone else.

The moral here is that too many LE misuse their authority, and should be monitored continuously by body cams that they cannot turn off, and the bad ones should receive the full punishment of the law. It's on those who misuse their authority to modify their behavior, not the other way around.

Last edited by JAMS14; 12-08-2017 at 01:45 PM..

Old 12-08-2017, 01:31 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,060,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Slager wont serve near enough time. he should never get out of jail.

you are right that an unarmed man should never be shot in the back 1 time or 5 times. but lets be real here. Scott would be alive had he complied with this cop. now I would venture to say sadly enough, the day would come when someone else got gunned down by Slager. but Scott would be a live.

Its very very sad. We still have a situation where some in America believe their best option is to run. That just isn't the case.
Probably. But I wouldn't be 100% sure. Scott could have had an involuntary tic that might have been enough to set Slager off. "The subject made a sudden move, and the officer, in fear for his life, fired his service weapon..."

Old 12-08-2017, 01:38 PM

15,495 posts, read 10,433,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Good. From what I've gathered, I think justice was served.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:40 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,574,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Yeah...1 conviction for every 20 acquittals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies