U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 AM
 
13,117 posts, read 4,471,359 times
Reputation: 6397

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post

What has made it so dangerous?
I'll give you one guess and I'll be very surprised if you get it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 PM
 
3,871 posts, read 1,910,516 times
Reputation: 5380
They're doing a favor for the criminals who voted for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ
7,954 posts, read 7,908,387 times
Reputation: 11183
Default Philadelphia to shopowners: You CAN'T have bulletproof glass

The city with the Liberty Bell, in a bow to Social Justice Warrior putrescence, is now forbidding bulletproof glass because it will remind residents of REALITY and make them feel triggered.


Outrage as Philly pushes through ban on bulletproof glass in crime-plagued neighborhood shops | Fox News


The problem? The bulletproof glass is only to be found in certain neighborhoods. Yeah, like the ones where criminals keep marauding and shooting innocent productive shopowners.


What an embarrassing and unmitigated disaster. Shopowners in a free country being ORDERED BY THE STATE to cease and desist from protecting their lives and property.


The Liberty Bell crack just expanded to the other side, and the bell is in danger of completely splitting apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 04:38 PM
 
15,353 posts, read 17,598,692 times
Reputation: 13483
Duplicate post. Here's the link to the original discussion on the same issue.

Philly wants to ban bullet proof glass...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 04:40 PM
 
2,875 posts, read 1,663,054 times
Reputation: 1942
Why do they have bulletproof glass in the first place? It's because the residents of the area make it unsafe to do business there. So now what will the shop owners do? They'll have to close down or risk death. Many will pack up and leave and then what will we see? There will be crying that there aren't enough stores in the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 04:47 PM
 
1,350 posts, read 587,292 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Why do they have bulletproof glass in the first place? It's because the residents of the area make it unsafe to do business there. So now what will the shop owners do? They'll have to close down or risk death. Many will pack up and leave and then what will we see? There will be crying that there aren't enough stores in the community.
Actually, if you took the time to read the article..... They have bulletproof glass because they illegally sell alcohol at their window and create an atmosphere of where people loiter outside and drink all night. This is the crowd that would get kicked out of a bar so they come here to make trouble.

If the shopowners stopped illegally selling alcohol, they wouldn't have these issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ
7,954 posts, read 7,908,387 times
Reputation: 11183
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Actually, if you took the time to read the article..... They have bulletproof glass because they illegally sell alcohol at their window and create an atmosphere of where people loiter outside and drink all night. This is the crowd that would get kicked out of a bar so they come here to make trouble.

If the shopowners stopped illegally selling alcohol, they wouldn't have these issues.
The solution to illegal alcohol sales is NOT TO VIOLATE THE RIGHT OF THE INDIVIDUAL TO DEFEND HIS LIFE AND PROPERTY.


Enforce and prosecute the specific crime, illegally selling alcohol. Otherwise, the state has no business telling a shop owner that he can't have bulletproof glass.


And by the way, the true motive is contained in this explanation by Councilwoman Cindy Bass, who authored the bill:


She has called the bullet-resistant windows an “indignity,” saying it felt as if the store owners were serving food to customers considered dangerous or in “prison.” Beer deli owners and their advocates have said that without the windows, their lives would be at risk.


In the final analysis, I don't give a rat's azz what the delis are selling or how they are selling it. If they want to protect themselves with bulletproof glass, that should be their right. The state should have NOTHING to say on the matter.





Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Boston
7,800 posts, read 2,272,799 times
Reputation: 5558
Default Philly city council member wants to ban bullet proof glass

lol, great idea!


Running a small business is challenging — but even more so for merchants who open up shop in neighborhoods where there is a higher incidence of crime. For years, one way these shopkeepers try protect themselves and their employees against theft or harm is to install thick plexiglass at the counter between the cashier and the customer. But is this a good thing?

Some people in Philadelphia don’t think so and now one local councilwoman is introducing legislation to force the city’s shopkeepers to take the glass down.

“It’s an indignity” to make purchases through such a window, said City Councilwoman Cindy Bass in this Philadelphia Inquirer article. Bass and others believe the windows represent race and class differences and a “symbol of distrust.” She, along with five co-sponsors, has proposed a bill requiring shopkeepers to remove their windows and if the bill receives a majority support in a scheduled committee meeting today it will head for a full vote on Dec. 14.

Shopkeepers, of course, are not happy. “Most of our businesses are in not-as-safe neighborhoods,” Adam Xu, the chairman of the Asian American Licensed Beverage Association of Philadelphia told the Inquirer.

Bass thinks store owners should “hire security guards and install surveillance cameras,” an expensive proposition. Another councilman, Alan Domb, suggested that store owners find ways to make the windows look “cosmetically better,” telling the Inquirer that “a compromise is a win for everybody.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a9ebe826f16b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 06:21 PM
 
Location: CA
4,255 posts, read 1,836,112 times
Reputation: 5479
Instead of banning bullet proof glass, maybe they should ban .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 08:49 PM
 
1,350 posts, read 587,292 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The solution to illegal alcohol sales is NOT TO VIOLATE THE RIGHT OF THE INDIVIDUAL TO DEFEND HIS LIFE AND PROPERTY.


Enforce and prosecute the specific crime, illegally selling alcohol. Otherwise, the state has no business telling a shop owner that he can't have bulletproof glass.


And by the way, the true motive is contained in this explanation by Councilwoman Cindy Bass, who authored the bill:


She has called the bullet-resistant windows an “indignity,” saying it felt as if the store owners were serving food to customers considered dangerous or in “prison.” Beer deli owners and their advocates have said that without the windows, their lives would be at risk.


In the final analysis, I don't give a rat's azz what the delis are selling or how they are selling it. If they want to protect themselves with bulletproof glass, that should be their right. The state should have NOTHING to say on the matter.





Where in the article does it say that the residents in the area are unsafe and that is the specific reason why the shopowners have the bulletproof glass?

I have no issue with shopowners having bulletproof glass and I agree the government shouldn't go about it this way, but if you're going to support Supachai's statements, at least provide some evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top