Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:01 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It's about people who DO drive who can't change their own tires, not about you. I doubt the millennials who can't change a tire can sew a ripped shirt or bake a loaf of bread either.
But then again it's not like Wall Street execs know how to change their own tires, or sew, or bake either. Heck, everyone I've known born into a wealthy family were the last folk on earth to get their hands dirty doing anything resembling physical labor. Even doing basic yard work like planting was beneath these folk. Their parents always sheltered them and paid for their things, and the kids turned out the same way. This is a big trend I've encountered with the managerial class in America, even at the small businesses I've worked at. They're so used to dictating that they can't even do simple things themselves. My boss in 2014 didn't even know how to start a weed whacker, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 02:25 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've never owned a car, so I have no idea how to change a tire.

Do you know how to sew a ripped seam in your shirt or make a loaf of bread? I mean, we can play this game with a lot of things that are second-nature to some-not-all of us, and call it the downfall of civilization.
I own a car. I built my first v8 Ford engine when I was 16. I've done transmissions and just about everything on a car. I no longer do that kind of work cause I'm too old. Now for a hobby I bake sourdough bread, one loaf a week. I recently shortened all my pants, cause I've shrunk a bit. I baked a pan of biscuits this afternoon.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
People tend to spend their time learning what is most rewarded by their socio-economic class and location. For example, kids in suburban environments learn how to drive cars, while kids in urban environments learn how to navigate public transportation by themselves, often at ages that shock those of us who have no such need. The children of the extraordinarily wealthy have yet another set of requirements to navigate their lives successfully. It's the way of the world. No need to throw shade at those whose learning does not replicate your own. Chances are they know things you don't and are equally stymied by how you get through your day.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:25 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
I do get a laugh out of how folks think people not changing tires or doing work on their cars is the sign of some terrible illness in our society, how "weak" people are these days, or some other vast conspiracy. Really, none of that is needed.

To break it down simply:

- People need to learn a lot more skills these days to be competitive. Some lesser used skills, like how to change your tires or oil, will naturally fall by the wayside

- There are far more places one can go to get car work done these days, as well as roadside services like AAA, so there's no need to change your own oil and often no need to change your own tires. Plus, when you factor in the time spent changing your oil, having somebody else change your oil probably costs about the same as going it yourself, so why bother, particularly when you consider risk of screwing something up.

Complaining about this is like complaining how people aren't "raising their own cows and chickens anymore" and instead buying meat the grocery story. Or, people aren't "sowing their own clothes anymore" and are instead buying them. Same idea. Things change.

- Finally, cars are becoming more complicated and are often designed these days with the assumption you have a lift and a complete shop to work on them. Nobody is going to invest in all that just to change their oil.

No conspiracy needed; just the natural evolution of an increasingly complex society with increasingly complex technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies