Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 03:29 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
Bicycles don't have spare tires.

As far as cars. With a lot of kids growing in in female headed single parent households, there's no one how to teach these kids how to do a lot of things. This is only one of them.
lots of men do not know how to change a tire either. they call AAA just as female single parents would. gender has nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 03:30 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
sadly for those of us that are dyslexic and possibly dysgraphic.... that might be a skill too far?

but thanks for pointing that out! I am sure you feel better?
Not as good as tough guys feel telling them young uns they are a bunch of wimps.

Now you want to play victim as opposed to Mr/Mrs Toughpullyourselvesupbyyourbootstrapsontheinternet guy/girl? How uproariously snowflakey/millenialish of you.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I don't think of it being a nanny state problem as much as an affluence problem. Everyone thinks so much is actually beneath them now, that they don't want to do any actual work.

It carries over to so many other things, it's just a perfect example with the car repair.
manual labor was never valued, it was just an imagination. why do you think wages for it is so low if we value it so much?

Old 12-07-2017, 03:33 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Manicure??? Metrosexual???

Can I introduce you to my daughters bf?
I'll get my phone out of my messenger bag and check my schedule ....I'll see if I can fit him in between my capoeira class and my free form poetry session.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:33 PM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
I'll change a tire in my driveway if necessary, but not on the side of the road, it's too dangerous.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Does seem to be getting worse, and I do agree that it's partly a wealth problem. Half the reason I can do all the things I can is because I can't afford to have someone else do them. The other half is a desire to be able to them. I think a lot of younger people these days are missing that drive.

I had a friend telling a story about stopping to help a kid who was stopped half on the side of the road and half on it. The kid had run out of gas. My friend says, "You need to get your car out of the road." The kid says, "I can't. It's out of gas, and I tried to push it, but I can't." The dummy didn't even have it in neutral. Then, it gets even better. My friend has him put it in neutral, and tells him to steer onto the shoulder while he pushes. He starts pushing the car, but it's just rolling straight, not steering over to the shoulder. My friend yells at the kid to steer, and the kid yells back, "The steering wheel won't turn." Doofus expect the car to steer the way it did when it was running.
what makes you so angry with young people? I bet that kid would be nicer to you if you had problems with you smart phone. Do you have one?

Old 12-07-2017, 03:39 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
I know, in theory, how to change a flat tire. However, in reality, I seem to lack the strength to get the lug nuts to budge. As I found out when I did have a flat tire, and had the car all set up to change it....and then couldn't get the lug nuts to budge. Luckily, a guy stopped and got them off for me and finished changing it as well.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:40 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've never owned a car, so I have no idea how to change a tire.

Do you know how to sew a ripped seam in your shirt or make a loaf of bread? I mean, we can play this game with a lot of things that are second-nature to some-not-all of us, and call it the downfall of civilization.
Sure, I can do those things and change tires too

Old 12-07-2017, 03:46 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I used to work on an ambulance.
It concerned me how many more people knew, it seemed, how to do car repairs than knew basic first-aid skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
That's a good point....
Second that, Valhallian. There's a life skill worth having.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If it is a trend it is unfortunate, but only because the dependent class - whoever they are - will never know the thrill of being self sufficient.

Independence and self sufficiency where thrust upon me by circumstances, but I sure would trade what I have learned for anything. I love being the feeling of being self sufficient.
The dependent class has money. They have better things to do than change a tire. most new cars don't even have a spare now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies