Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times

Advertisements

Im also thankful jittery easily spooked kevlar clad cops blubbering about officer safety didnt show up and mistakenly shoot the father
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 10:44 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,785,831 times
I'm going to get eviscerated by the following comment, but here it goes.

Jeezus, it's just money. Why put your family in further danger by being obstinate? Give him your valuables to get him on his way.

Sometimes it seems to me that if a person is carrying a gun he feels an irresistible obligation to use it. Even when the better option is to not use it.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post

Jeezus, it's just money. Why put your family in further danger by being obstinate? Give him your valuables to get him on his way.

Sometimes it seems to me that if a person is carrying a gun he feels an irresistible obligation to use it. Even when the better option is to not use it.
It is certainly one way to deal with a situation like this, but didn't the father say he "had no money" and then there is the fact that pointing a gun at his children made him fearful for their lives. And not to mention sometimes the perp shoots and kills even after they get what they want.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:51 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,677 times
Quote:

Are you sure? I have to wonder if this incident might cause some other thug to think twice and not attempt a robbery he was planning. If so, lives might have been saved indirectly because this particular thug got shot.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:54 AM

15,821 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Sorry, this is utter appeasmentest bull$hit. Let them get away with it, and they'll do it to someone else. When the criminal scum of this country figure out that law abiding citizens of this country won't put up with their behavior, and will kill them if they try of victimize them innocent people, we'll all be better off (except, of course the criminal class.)

Quote:

Old 12-08-2017, 01:26 PM

19,716 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:

I see stories all the time in the news where victims complied and were still shot. Criminal gave up his right to live when he pulled the gun.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:26 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,651,919 times
Its the good guy winning and how it's supposed to work, but it just isn't reality.

When someone owns a gun that gun is more likely to kill someone the gun owner knows either by accident, by the gun owner shooting an acquaintance in a argument, or by another family member using the gun to commit a homicide or commit suicide. And women who live in a home with a gun are 2.7 times more likely to be murdered than women living in a home with no gun.
Dangerous Gun Myths - The New York Times

"According to FBI data, nearly eight times more people were shot and killed in arguments than by civilians trying to stop a crime."

"The odds of an assault victim being shot were 4.5 times greater if he carried a gun. His odds of being killed were 4.2 times greater."

"For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home."

"More than 5 times more women were shot by husbands, boyfriends, and ex-partners than murdered by male strangers."

10 Pro-Gun Myths, Shot Down – Mother Jones

Old 12-08-2017, 01:27 PM

19,716 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Its the good guy winning and how it's supposed to work, but it just isn't reality.

When someone owns a gun that gun is more likely to kill someone the gun owner knows either by accident, by the gun owner shooting an acquaintance in a argument, or by another family member using the gun to commit a homicide or commit suicide. And women who live in a home with a gun are 2.7 times more likely to be murdered than women living in a home with no gun.
Dangerous Gun Myths - The New York Times

"According to FBI data, nearly eight times more people were shot and killed in arguments than by civilians trying to stop a crime."

"The odds of an assault victim being shot were 4.5 times greater if he carried a gun. His odds of being killed were 4.2 times greater."

"For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home."

"More than 5 times more women were shot by husbands, boyfriends, and ex-partners than murdered by male strangers."

10 Pro-Gun Myths, Shot Down – Mother Jones
The biggest myth is expecting the truth from Mother Jones.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:30 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,651,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Are you sure? I have to wonder if this incident might cause some other thug to think twice and not attempt a robbery he was planning. If so, lives might have been saved indirectly because this particular thug got shot.
Or it could cause a thug to be more fearful in a holdup (and be quicker to shoot the people he is robbing if they make any sudden movements.)

Old 12-08-2017, 01:32 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I know when and how to use a gun. I will not shoot an unarmed person on purpose or by accident. I will defend myself, my family, my friends from violent assault. That is not only my right but my duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies